best tv for eye strain, 2 meters?

ciaoragazzi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
which smart tv should i choose for a distance of 2 meters?

monitors, TVs, smartphones make my eyes very red.

are oled and qled technologies to be avoided?
should i get a 4k?
Are there TVs with matte screen, anti reflex, flicker free, with blue light filter/regulation, etc?
what size should i take?
direct led i think it is of better for quality ... but for the eyes shouldn't it have a worse effect than edge led?

thanks

I'd say the best thing is to reduce the backlight of any tv you own to see what it's like on your eyes. also make sure TV settings are not in a bright image settings live vivid, game or bright cinema. Cinema and Natural are usually less brighter than other settings

I would also avoid HDR features as this will push your TV into its brightest mode

If you do control the brightness and backlight push picture settings, I cannot see any one technology being any better or worse than another although I'm not an eye expert!

are oled and qled technologies to be avoided?
OLED TVs do not flicker compared to OLED phones, and if you know you are sensitive to PWM flicker should be top of your list.

Having said that, it's really not possible to know what to buy if you do not know already what causes your eye strain. It could be down to the size of the TV, the viewing conditions, a personal eye condition or even the motion processing of certain TVs. Unless you understand the reason why you are getting a problem, it's not possible to avoid 100%.

QLED TV's don't exist. They are marketing for LCD TVs, the same LCD TV tech used 20+ years now.

LCD TVs have more motion blur but less stutter, OLED TVs have less motion blur but more stutter. Some people find the stutter of OLED distracting.
should i get a 4k?
It is hard not too nowadays, but as a general rule only change to a 4k TV if you plan to use 4k content. Do not change if you are still mainly watching HD content.
Are there TVs with matte screen, anti reflex, flicker free, with blue light filter/regulation, etc?
The finish of the screen, be it gloss, or matte does not decide how good the TV copes with reflections. There are glossy screens that actually have the best anti-glare performance (such as that found on the Samsung S95B). It is a myth that matte finish has less reflections.

If you know blue light causes a problem I think only LG TVs have a 'comfort mode' which reduces blue light. The LG C2 OLED is a very popular TV.

Such adjustments can also be made by any TV by manually reducing the blue hue of the picture in picture settings.
what size should i take?
At your viewing distance as big as you can fit, but if you are also sensitive to having a larger display due to eye strain then you may have to think about smaller.
direct led i think it is of better for quality ... but for the eyes shouldn't it have a worse effect than edge led?
Direct LED is not better than edge LED unless it has a FALD system (Full Array Local Dimming).

Sadly, you are in a difficult predicament and the only way you're going to know which TV is most suited is by trying different models at home. Buy from a reputable source with a good return policy so if you do not get along with the TV, you can exchange it for another.

If you develop a clear indication of what causes the problem, narrowing down models can be easier.
I'd say the best thing is to reduce the backlight of any tv you own to see what it's like on your eyes.
On some TV's this may not be the best idea as they can use PWM to dim the screen and create more flicker at lower brightness.

QLED TV's don't exist. They are marketing for LCD TVs, the same LCD TV tech used 20+ years now.

LCD TVs have more motion blur but less stutter, OLED TVs have less motion blur but more stutter. Some people find the stutter of OLED distracting.

It is hard not too nowadays, but as a general rule only change to a 4k TV if you plan to use 4k content. Do not change if you are still mainly watching HD content.

The finish of the screen, be it gloss, or matte does not decide how good the TV copes with reflections. There are glossy screens that actually have the best anti-glare performance (such as that found on the Samsung S95B). It is a myth that matte finish has less reflections.

thanks
how do i know if a tv has PWM?

I will try to go to a store.
I have no idea what is bothering me.

I was also thinking about projectors but I don't know if they are exposed in stores.

If you’re having trouble with tv’s then like me you may find projectors problematic too

thanks
how do i know if a tv has PWM?

I will try to go to a store.
I have no idea what is bothering me.

I was also thinking about projectors but I don't know if they are exposed in stores.
You'll probably have to try the TV at home to see what is bothering you. Viewing in the shop will not give you an idea.
If it's eye strain bias lighting behind the TV can help.

Sometimes eye strain can be related to factors that don't surround the TV such as how brightly lit the room is, where the lighting is placed in relation to the TV.

You can check reviews on sites like rtings.com to see if a TV uses PWM do dim itself, most Samsung LCD TVs do, most Sony LCD TVs don't. All OLEDs don't. But this may not be your problem.

thank you. I found that site through other topics in the forum. I will definitely use it.

Can flickering free help?

I can only find basic information, but how do i have to organize the correct lighting of a TV or a PC monitor? is there any video tutorial done right?
in principle I try to direct thelight bulb so that it is not reflected in the screen.
however my eyes became red even when there is natural light and in summer it seems to me that the room is always well lit.

(problems only with screens and i don't have glasses; no headache etc, only red eyes e fatigue)

If you haven't had an eye test in the last year I'd definitely go get your eyes tested just in case.

Flicker free TVs are TV's that do not use PWM.
If you are viewing in brighter conditions, then a TV that can get brighter will help, in that case look at high end LCD TVs like the Samsung QN90B.
If you are viewing in darker conditions, placing bias lighting behind the TV can help, some Philips models have ambilight with this built in, but LED strips can be installed behind any TV.

You should speak to your eye doctor regarding your problem, they may be able to understand why. If your eyes are getting red you may have a medical problem.

Unfortunately, you will need to try different TVs to know, it's possible you will get this issue with every TV, but you will not know until you own each one. Buy from a shop with good customer service and return policy.

If you are viewing in brighter conditions, then a TV that can get brighter will help, in that case look at high end LCD TVs like the Samsung QN90B.
If you are viewing in darker conditions, placing bias lighting behind the TV can help, some Philips models have ambilight with this built in, but LED strips can be installed behind any TV.
I do not know. how should i set the room lights when it gets dark? (after dinner)

If you haven't had an eye test in the last year I'd definitely go get your eyes tested just in case.

unfortunately useless. she just gave me drops. I think I don't blink enough and my eye gets dry but the drops don't change much.
strangely the sunglasses help me a little.

I went to a shop and surely the oled tvs are another world.
also, in my opinion, there is no difference to see them 1, 2 or 3 meters away.

I do not agree with the distances recommended in the various sites, if the TV is smaller I think that it is less tiring for the eyes.
a 42 inches for 2 meters seems right to me, maybe even less.

What does it means this? oled tv, flicker free: no, but PWM Dimming Frequency: 0 Hz

"The LG C2 isn't quite flicker-free, as there's a small decrease in brightness that corresponds with the refresh cycle of the display. It's very different from pulse width modulation flicker (PWM) on TVs with LED backlights."

"The LG A2 isn't technically flicker-free because there's a slight dip in brightness every eight ms, which coincides with the refresh rate. However, it isn't the same as pulse width modulation on LED TVs because it isn't a full on and off, and it isn't noticeable either."

I do not know. how should i set the room lights when it gets dark? (after dinner)
The same as I mentioned before, bias lighting behind the TV.
"The LG C2 isn't quite flicker-free, as there's a small decrease in brightness that corresponds with the refresh cycle of the display. It's very different from pulse width modulation flicker (PWM) on TVs with LED backlights."
This is just down to the refresh rate, it's not as distracting as PWM flicker.

The same as I mentioned before, bias lighting behind the TV.

This is just down to the refresh rate, it's not as distracting as PWM flicker.
do you know if PANASONIC - Smart TV OLED 4K Ultra HD - HDR 48'' TX-48JZ1500E has PWM flicker/flicker free?
Panasonic aren't in rtings.com .

for the light, do you mean something like that?

completly dark but with a light (maybe normal, not so colored :asd: ) behind?
I always knew that the dark hurt, I couldn't imagine it

Panasonic use LG panels on their TVs so I'd expect it to be exactly the same as LG.
That picture shows a TV with Philips Ambilight that comes built into their TVs. You can install any bias lighting yourself behind the TV yourself though. Just search for LED light strips D65 White.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom