Best TV Card to use with SKY HD

pony1982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a TV Tuner card to move the recordings from my SKY HD box to my Media Center PC. I know I cant copy HD recordings over, but which would be the best tuner card to get to copy recordings from the sky box to my MCE.

Thanks for your help

All, I finally bought the WinTV PVR 150 MCE to go with my SKY HD box. What would be the best way to set this up to record - Should I use it only to capture Sky HD recorded programmes or should I also use it to capture everything else? What's the best setup for this?

The best capture card is probably the AJA LH, but you will need to spend 5k to 10k to upgrade your PC to record in HD.

Next will be an RGB capture card. Last time I checked professional ones were 700 quid, so a networked TiVo which can record RGB is much better.
A much cheaper SD RGB card is the sweetspot
http://www.pluggedin.tv/site/sweetspot/index.html but I am not sure how it compares to the more expensive SD RGB cards.

Finally you can record in s-video which is worse than SD RGB by using the Hauppauge but at least its cheap and has WMC drivers.
Record whatever you want using your WinTV, but the quality isn't going to be great.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm aware that I can't record in HD. All I want to do is move recordings from my Sky HD Box to my Media Center - I dont really care about them being in HD or not. I bought the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150, but am wondering what the best way to set it up would be. My options are

1. Use Sky Box to view TV (as the quality will be better), but use my Media Center for recording.

2 . Use the MediaCenter to record directly, but view live TV on SKY, not through the MCE.

What would you guys advise?

Thanks

I thought that the SKY box sent the same signal through both/all its outputs, so MC could only record what you are watching anyway?

If you get a DVB-S (Satellite) card you can pick up BBC HD and capture the HD transport stream in High Definition. You really need a powerful computer though 3 Ghz dual core pentium 4 with nVidia graphics card 512 RAM. Otherwise any terrestrial TV Tuner e.g. Pinnacle PCTV Rave with an S-VHS input will capture the Sky Transmissions at 720 x 576 resolution so long as you have Mpeg Encoding Software like Ulead VideoStudio etc.

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom