Best TV and TV Size For New Home Theater -need your expertise

Slapshot

Standard Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I just moved to a new condominium a few months back, and I am in the process of setting up a home theater in a dedicated, completely light controlled room. Its not an overly large space, but should be at least reasonably adequate for our needs. I have all of the electronics and speakers covered already. The big question is the television. We currently have a three year old 65" LG-E7P OLED. While an excellent television, it seems too small for our viewing in the new space. We want a big, engulfing and stunning image.

The television will be used 90% for cable tv, Netflix, and Amazon, 10% for Blu Ray movies. So while the movies should look great on just about any good tv, the other content that we view 90% of the time is most important. We are sitting 9 feet/2.75m from where the television screen will be.

I have been debating as to what size would best present a truly big scope effectively given our seating distance. A couple local people, with significant television expertise have recommended 77" as they feel 85" might be too much for that distance. Also, really good televisions in the 77" range are much more affordable, and there is much more variety.

Televisions I have been considering are:

Sony XBR-77A9G (available at a great closeout price)

Sony XR777 A80J

LG C1 OLED

Samsung QN90 Neo Qled

Any advice, expertise and recommendations would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Size rules for dramas, documentaries, films but for regular TV it can be a bit odd sitting close to a bigger TV. If it were me personally though I'd be looking at an 85" LCD for the extra real estate over a 75 or 77" OLED.

Depends on your preferences, but from the sounds of it this is intended to be a home Cinema setup? If that's the case I don't think you viewing distance is too close for an 85" at all.

The timing of your purchase may also be considered. As you have seen from the pricing of the 77" A9G it's at a nice discount compared to other models. This is because it's older stock, whilst newer models remain overpriced, and tend to stay that way each year until black Friday ish.

As for 85" LCD recommendations I'd try to find the Sony X950H or Samsung 85Q90T (both 2020 models) for buying now, or delay the purchase to a time when new 2021 models are cheaper. TCL may well be worth considering since they are really pushing the larger TV market with the XL range in the US but still remain on the expensive side.

I immensely appreciate the advice. I found great deals on a Sony X950H, but the stand is width is an almost impossible to believe 69.5 inches! I cannot accommodate that on the custom built unit that I have for the tv to be placed on. The vast majority of other 85 inch sets are two feet less in width.

I've also looked into the Samsung 85Q90T, which I know is a superb tv, but cannot find it for less than $4300.00 US!

I can fall back to the 2021 Sony 77" A80J, a very good television, which is on sale at Costco for $2999.00 US, for about a month. But I'm losing that eight inches I would like to have in screen real estate.

Thanks. I didn't realize those were available to convert tv's to stand use, using the VESA mount holes.

I have limited my final options to these televisions. All are currently on sale, and available to me for $2999.99 US or slightly less. Out of these, which do you feel would be the best option? Your continuing expertise is much appreciated.

Sony XBR-77A9G vs Sony 85X950H vs Sony 77 A80J vs LG 77" C1​

If things are even relatively equal, the 85" option would be my preference, as we've discussed. But I am being told that the newer screen and processor in the A80J significantly surpasses the picture quality of the others.

The other, non OLED option is the Samsung NeoQled 75"Q90. Available at the same price as those above. But I am being told that it will not performbest in a completely dark room, and would be a disappointment after owning an OLED.

But again, I value your expertise and background more than those informing me of these things.

Last edited:
The A80J and X950H are the winners there, size versus quality. I don't think the picture processing is that much better on the new models though, they make picture processors each year sound like they are the be all and end all, but they only make small upgrades.

I was just about to snap up a Sony A80J 77" on the current $2999.00 USD sale price. However, an early black Friday deal appeared out of nowhere. Samsung has suddenly dropped the price on the 85" Neo QLED QN90A, by $1700.00, and it can be had for only $300.00 more than the 77" Sony A80J. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated given this new information.

You may have also noted in their latest issue, that Sound and Vision reviewed the A80J and the Samsung QN65N90A Neo QLED and based on their comments, it was a close competitor to the A80J.They also said it performed without issue in darkened room, and that it "No tv is perfect, but all things considered, I have yet to test an Ultra HDTV that offers better overall performance with a wide range of sources and viewing conditions than the QN65QN90A"

Last edited:
Comes down to size versus quality again, just like the Sony X950H vs the A80J. Having a bigger TV and not loosing too much quality with the QN90A..

Comes down to your own priorities, some people will enjoy the benefits of OLED or LCD tech over on another. Samsung and Sony also have notable differences, with Samsung differing from picture accuracy a little bit in HDR mode, whilst Sony tend to be more accurate and have better motion.

OLEDs also have more stutter, but no motion blur, whilst LCD TVs have more motion blur, but less stutter.

Conditions play a part too, Samsung will not show its flaws in room with lighting, but if room is pitch black it will not be perfect like an OLED.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Based on the reviews of the two tv's, back to back, and rating them essentially dead even, I thought I might not be giving anything up going to the Samsung instead of the Sony. In the tests, the Sony had issues with the blacks in changing scenes, the Samsung showed a bit of bloom, but not often enough, or to enough of a degree that it bothered the tester/reviewer.

They also rated the Samsung as excellent in a fully dark room, whereas, I had always thought they worked best in a room with lighting, as you noted.

It was my hope that I might be able to move up to an 85", as I had originally hoped, without sacrificing quality. If the Sony is truly better, I would forgo the larger size.

FALD LCD TVs are great in a dark room, Samsung LCDs are better than Sony in this respect too. They however are not perfect like OLED is. The main downside to the Samsung in my opinion is over-bright HDR images, and crushed black detail. Picture accuracy is better on the Sony in HDR mode.

I personally think its a worthy sacrifice of quality to get the bigger TV. OLEDs at 77" are still very expensive. Won't be unhappy with either TVs.

Once again, I really appreciate your thoughts and expertise. I agree that I should not be unhappy with either tv, which makes the Samsung 85" a difficult option to turn down.

I decided to go with the QN90A 85". I spent a great deal of time today at a Best Buy looking at every possible element of this. Sitting next to each other, the 77" and my existing 65" seemed too close to justify spending $3k US. The 85" QN90A TV blew me away with it's size and impact. On the programming each was being fed, they both looked spectacular.

As you noted, the sacrifice for the larger tv was an obvious choice, as good as both were. Also, if I am unhappy with my choice, Best Buy will pick up the existing tv and return it, while I purchase the replacement, no questions asked.

God damm u guys are so lucky to be able to return opened and used electronic products in America lol

In Australia, no seller would have any bar of that
;(

It's very rare that you have the ability to do that here in the States. Previously, only Costco allowed it, but Best Buy seems to be trying out this strategy. I honestly didn't believe it until the salesman that manages the television department verified to me they would do it, without any prompting.

FALD LCD TVs are great in a dark room, Samsung LCDs are better than Sony in this respect too. They however are not perfect like OLED is. The main downside to the Samsung in my opinion is over-bright HDR images, and crushed black detail. Picture accuracy is better on the Sony in HDR mode.

I personally think its a worthy sacrifice of quality to get the bigger TV. OLEDs at 77" are still very expensive. Won't be unhappy with either TVs.
Thanks very much for your all of your assistance. I'm very happy with the 85" QN90a. I'm still tweaking some small things, but overall, it looks great. You were also absolutely correct in saying that size would not be too big for the distance from which I am watching it. It produces exactly the scope of picture, and visual impact that I was hoping for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom