Best TV 70-77 inch

Geoggy

Hi

A pal is renovating his front room and determined to go minimum of 70 inches on a TV despite my advice 65 would be plenty.

I’ve never considered a screen that big so out of the loop. His lads play PS5 so I’m guessing he needs HDR and HDMI 2.1.

He’s pretty flexible on budget and I know he likes the ambilight models but was also tempted when I sent him some links to the LG Oled big boys.

So if budget is say £1-£2.5k what gives the best bang for the buck?

Dodgexander

Bang for buck on most TVs isn't great at the minute, hopefully some compelling Black Friday deals will change that.

Generally want to consider TVs like the Sony X95J or Samsung QN9xA models, where x indicates the number 1,2,3,4 or 5 and not 0.

On the lower end of the scale you don't want to be going for something lower than the Samsung Q80A, and the QN90A and QN85A are probably best avoided due to panel lotteries. Some people may feel the Sony X90J fits the bill, but it falls short with its HDR because its dim.

Other manufacturers don't have anything compelling from 2021 lineups, unless you up the budget and aim for a 77" OLED.

Geoggy

Bang for buck on most TVs isn't great at the minute, hopefully some compelling Black Friday deals will change that.

Generally want to consider TVs like the Sony X95J or Samsung QN9xA models, where x indicates the number 1,2,3,4 or 5 and not 0.

On the lower end of the scale you don't want to be going for something lower than the Samsung Q80A, and the QN90A and QN85A are probably best avoided due to panel lotteries. Some people may feel the Sony X90J fits the bill, but it falls short with its HDR because its dim.

Other manufacturers don't have anything compelling from 2021 lineups, unless you up the budget and aim for a 77" OLED.
That’s helpful thank you. Does LG rule the roost at OLED 77 inch or should he look at others?

Dodgexander

No, all 77" OLEDs are sharing the same panel made by LG so they are all similar. Only the LG G1 and Sony A90J should be using the very latest, brightest and most durable panels though. Its rumored the A80J at 77" may also be using this type of panel.

So no matter the brand, Sony, Philips, LG they are all cracking TVs.

Geoggy

No, all 77" OLEDs are sharing the same panel made by LG so they are all similar. Only the LG G1 and Sony A90J should be using the very latest, brightest and most durable panels though. Its rumored the A80J at 77" may also be using this type of panel.

So no matter the brand, Sony, Philips, LG they are all cracking TVs.
Thanks again.

I’m wondering if there will be Black Friday deals to be had on old year Oled models at this size, or are they not around now?

Dodgexander

Not usually since they are either sold out, or already at a high discount. Some retailers may have leftover stock though.
You can search the models from last year in my guide:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom