Best TV £600

joeblgs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my TV (a 42" LG which has just packed up). I've found these 2 on John Lewis:

Buy Sony Bravia KD43XE7003 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43" with Freeview Play & Cable Management, Black | John Lewis

Buy Sony Bravia KD43XE7073 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43" with Freeview Play & Cable Management, Silver | John Lewis

Please could someone tell me if they are any good? I watch a lot of sport and wildlife programmes via Sky box and on my old LG I used to get what I think is called motion blur, sometimes you could see a drag effect on the ball in football or a similar thing when seeing birds in flight on wildlife programmes etc.

I may also venture into 4k tv at some point which is why I'm not looking at FHD models.

Also the 2 TV's I'm looking at have different model names and a £50 price difference yet they seem to have exactly the same spec, is it just the colour that's different?

Or maybe someone could recommend something else? I'm looking at spending no more than £600.

Thanks in advance

Joe

From purely a motion perspective you won't better those Sony's.

They are the same TV, only with small differences. Just get whichever is cheaper or you like the design/colour the best. Sony's websites lists all the variants so you can compare.

Sony XE70 | LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV

But the weakest thing about TVs at this size with the best motion is down to the panel type they use, they have inferior blacks, contrast ratio and screen uniformity compared to TVs of 40" which come with a VA type panel. By contrast TVs with VA panels have better blacks, contrast, screen uniformity but narrower viewing angles.

Choosing the right TV is about choosing which panel type you prefer the best, certainly if motion is your number one priority the Sony models you are looking at are good value, but overall, from other areas of PQ they are beaten by other models at 40" like the Panasonic 40EX600/40EX700 or the Samsung 40MU61xx/40MU64xx.

To grade the motion of the Sony TVs out of 10 you are probably looking at about an 8 whilst the other TVs just mention will be about a 7.

Thanks both. It's a minefield choosing a TV, lol.

I'm thinking the Sony because the motion thing gets to me, plus, coming from a 42" TV the 40" seems strangely small (we currently have a 40" warranty loan TV).

Dodgexander, looking at the Sony website, I've just seen the difference between the 2 TV's. The XE7073 has 'Motionflow XR 400hz' compared to 200Hz on the 7003, is it worth the extra £50 for the 400Hz or is it something I'm unlikely to notice?

Thanks again

Joe

It may be worth the extra if you plan on utilising motion-flow but most people either don't use it at all or keep it on a low setting. Both panels are the same hz so it will be a minor difference and I would be surprised if anyone would notice it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom