Best Toshiba HD DVD Player?

shiningstar

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a Toshiba HD-DVD player, I already have the XBOX Player, but it's a bit of a disadvantage been linked to the 360, if someone else wants to use it (theres 3 of us in our house), So I'm looking for a dedicated unit.

I was wondering what the best player is? and where I could find it for the cheapest price, I'd like it to be 1080p, upscale standard DVD's well, and, if possible a multi-region player would be fantastic, I've read reports of Toshiba players going for around £50 new, but I can't seem to find any:confused:, eBay seems to have a few, but for around £80-100 and used.:thumbsdow

Can anyone offer any help?:)

Many Thanks

awink1

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a Toshiba HD-DVD player, I already have the XBOX Player, but it's a bit of a disadvantage been linked to the 360, if someone else wants to use it (theres 3 of us in our house), So I'm looking for a dedicated unit.

I was wondering what the best player is? and where I could find it for the cheapest price, I'd like it to be 1080p, upscale standard DVD's well, and, if possible a multi-region player would be fantastic, I've read reports of Toshiba players going for around £50 new, but I can't seem to find any:confused:, eBay seems to have a few, but for around £80-100 and used.:thumbsdow

Can anyone offer any help?:)

Many Thanks
Hiya mate,

if you want 1080p and multiregion for SD, you only have 2 options: the EP10 or the XE1. Bad news is that neither of them go cheap, especially the XE1, but it's worth the investment.

XE1 is the best, full stop. Especially if you want it to upscale SD it is really excellent. Although the EP10 does a decent job too and will cost a few bob less.

If you don't need 1080p and settle for 1080i the E1 is excellent too and can also be made SD MR.

Cheers.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
I doubt that you'll be able to purchase a new Toshiba HD DVD player nowadays, but if you look at the classifieds on these forums, you should be able to pick up a good second-hand one at a reasonable price.

As to which one is the best, I'll leave that question alone, as it is a very evocative one, to which everyone, no doubt, will have his/her own answer.

Cheers,

Martin.

Steve.EX

Or if you can live with a R1 (SD) only, there are occasional bargains to be found with the A1, AX1 and AX2. They are all performers.

nwgarratt

HD-E1, XE1 or the EP10 are the best. They might have slower load times than say the EP30/EP35 but they are much more reliable. I haven't come across anyone who has played a HD DVD in a EP30 without having freezing problems a lot of the time.

I was trying to get a HD-E1 myself but they don't go cheap anymore.

blaster9999

Novice Member
HD-E1, XE1 or the EP10 are the best. They might have slower load times than say the EP30/EP35 but they are much more reliable. I haven't come across anyone who has played a HD DVD in a EP30 without having freezing problems a lot of the time.

I was trying to get a HD-E1 myself but they don't go cheap anymore.
well my two 30's one on 1.3 the other on 2.0 firmware are pretty solid may not be as wel build as the earlier machines but do the job and quite well, better than the 360 add on or my pc with a 8600 gfx card

Nic Rhodes

Avoid the turkeys, 30 / 35. You have been give the list of the quality UK machines but also remember the G1 US machines, A1, D1, XA1 all fine and reliable machinesto go with the G2 ones.

stefanr

Avoid the turkeys, 30 / 35. You have been give the list of the quality UK machines but also remember the G1 US machines, A1, D1, XA1 all fine and reliable machinesto go with the G2 ones.
I wouldn't quite go as far as turkeys for the 30/35, they're still a good machine if you can get one for a reasonable price i.e. under say £60. I brought one before Christmas so paid, willingly, a high price. I wasn't disappointed even after christmas when they came down, okay so I was a bit, but at the time.......

HD-DVD is effectively dead but if a machine came up for £60 again I would still recommend one, until the HD-DVDs dry up completely and for some people it still works as a good upscaler. QVC are selling them for £30 :eek: albeit rebadged Venturer.

I did have a few problems with it initially, mainly with US combo-discs and rented ones but it flawlessly played new discs, maybe I was lucky, FW did sort out a few. I purchased an EP10 later for £100 purely for the multi-region aspect and now use it as my main machine and don't notice any start up speed difference.

Nic Rhodes

Perhaps turkey is strong (as there is much I admire there) but this player only achieved 44/80 for SD video processing and 20/100 for HD when the forum tested it. Pretty terrible. Regardless of whether it was cheap or plays discs from beginning to end, it just didn't perform when this forum tested this player. It is especially sad as the previous players achieved a higher standard, especially the G1 ones. This player could have delivered so much but didn't, mostly down to poor timing. We are now approaching a year in and so much could be done with a firmware update, I hope it comes, but as it stands I can't see how anyone rates this as a performer when it is compared to it's peers.

Last edited:

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
I hope it comes, but as it stands I can't see how anyone rates this as a performer when it is compared to it's peers.
I think that's probably the key point. I was and still am pleased with my EP35, although at the time of purchase I fully expected it to be a work in progress.. :rolleyes: However with only the PS3 and Xbox360 addon to compare to and never using it for SD-DVD I am talking from relatively limited experience... Ignorance IS bliss. :smashin:

Nic Rhodes

The 30 / 35 could have been stellar, and probably still could with a decent firmware update, but as with the other players, as you say is work in progress, hopefully still in progress even at this late stage. It has nothing to do with reliability / playing discs without stutters etc as some incorrectly assume, but everything to do with the quality that is reproduced. This was exactly the same with the XE1 which also went through a similar guestation period of 'under performing', which came right with 2.7 onwards (and MR hack). I remember the same 'resistance' to the truth when that player came out, and only the realisation of the 'faults / issues' once they had been fixed / or people has been shown the 'issues' but as you say Ignorance is Bliss sums it up pretty well. All these players have 'issues' and it seems even if you point out the issues in an objective manner, everyone seems to want to wave their flags saying how happy they are. Well thats fine, I have no issues with people that like these players (as one of the biggest fans of Toshiba / HD DVD here) but that doesn't mean that they are working correctly and can't be improved, sometimes substantially. As I have said repeatedly here firmware is king and many have rolled this player back to the earlier firmware for sound reasons. I even consider the XE1 and PS3 to need more firmwrae development, not to make difficult disc play but to fix issues wrt their quality of their outputs.

blaster9999

Novice Member
Perhaps turkey is strong (as there is much I admire there) but this player only achieved 44/80 for SD video processing and 20/100 for HD when the forum tested it. Pretty terrible. Regardless of whether it was cheap or plays discs from beginning to end, it just didn't perform when this forum tested this player. It is especially sad as the previous players achieved a higher standard, especially the G1 ones. This player could have delivered so much but didn't, mostly down to poor timing. We are now approaching a year in and so much could be done with a firmware update, I hope it comes, but as it stands I can't see how anyone rates this as a performer when it is compared to it's peers.
Test scores are a subjective measure,but whoever reviewed them at the start of the year when they retailed for about 200 quid was not impressed. But then I never paid this much for mine. I know two other ep30 owners again they haven't experienced
problems.

I have no experienced of xe1 but people s opinion I value rate it as much better machine the original price of this machine and the price it still commands seem to support this opinion. As for the e1 its max output
is 1080i which is less than my current screen can manage. Again relying on the opiion of people with better know and experiance rate the e10 and e30/35
having no real difference in output.

Going back to to my decision process from th first quarter of this year I did think about xe1 but I really could buy 3 ep30 for the price of 1 xe1, So got two and put the money towards disc:)

Nic Rhodes

The numerous and taxing tests scores are a set of tests that a player passes or fails. I run the same tests as Phil did here , as do many others. [many even come free with Oppos players nowdays]. It passes / fails these tests regarless of the price, whether £50 or £200, or who runs them. The same results can also be seen in film clips. If a player fails these tests, which the 30 did, does it count as the Best Toshiba HD DVD players as per this thread? This is afterall not the cheapest player thread, the best value player thread, best bang for the buck etc it is the best.

re the 1080i output players, they loose NO resolution compared with their 1080p brothers, in fact many of the high end users (with VPs) sent 1080i to their VPs for the best picture.

re no difference in output, sorry I don't buy that but I am lucky to have the facility of a video test rig to see the diferences here, that I built. It seems the independent reviews on this site when looking at these players in depth didn't buy that either.

The same conclusion stands re the abilities of these players, regardless of price, they either pass / fail the tests. Sure we can live with a £50 price tag 'compromises' better than a £200 one but this does not change their abilities. What does that is a change to firmware.

blaster9999

Novice Member
The numerous and taxing tests scores are a set of tests that a player passes or fails. I run the same tests as Phil did here , as do many others. [many even come free with Oppos players nowdays]. It passes / fails these tests regarless of the price, whether £50 or £200, or who runs them. The same results can also be seen in film clips. If a player fails these tests, which the 30 did, does it count as the Best Toshiba HD DVD players as per this thread? This is afterall not the cheapest player thread, the best value player thread, best bang for the buck etc it is the best.

re the 1080i output players, they loose NO resolution compared with their 1080p brothers, in fact many of the high end users (with VPs) sent 1080i to their VPs for the best picture.

re no difference in output, sorry I don't buy that but I am lucky to have the facility of a video test rig to see the diferences here, that I built. It seems the independent reviews on this site when looking at these players in depth didn't buy that either.

The same conclusion stands re the abilities of these players, regardless of price, they either pass / fail the tests. Sure we can live with a £50 price tag 'compromises' better than a £200 one but this does not change their abilities. What does that is a change to firmware.
sir I defer to your superior tech knowledge :)
for me 30 was a good enough upgrade over sd and 360 add on to justify buying two (thank you amazon), I knew as soon as I typed that i on that 1080 was starting that debate again. I have no test rig but on my humble screen with my mark one eye ball I do see a slight judder?/ flicker? ( sorry don't know the technical term) in panning shots. at 1080i as opposed to 1080p/24, or 1080p did have to reread my post but I didn't write the resolution at 1080i was lower than 1080p

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

It is great that you and many others are very happy with your purchases. All I am saying is that with a bit of good will from Toshiba, you can have a much improved player for no extra cost. To me that seems a sensible approach to get the best out of you hardware, which is actually fine atm. What is letting it down currently is the firmware and that as you know is updatable. Many see this as 'negative', personally I see the getting the best out of hardware as a positive and also potentially free.

Judder is very different from i / p.

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

Pretty wel eveything on Phil video tests that the player failed on would be correctable by firmware update. In fact I think Phil delayed his review by several months in the hope that Toshiba would deal with it last christmas.

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
I bought my EP35, due to my (what now seems misplaced) expectations of Toshiba, based on the way they imporved the E1 and XE1 and all the US players etc.. I fully expected lots of teething problems and improvements to be necessary. I was never expecting a replacement SD player, just a good HD player. I hoped the EP35, might become as good a HD player as the XE1, but being 3rd gen, I expected it to be cheaper and 'lighter' :D

As Nic has said, the 3rd gen mever got the treatment they needed, and I do feel thats a shame, not just for me but for Tosh as well. I've often bought Tosh products for both myself and at work. Very often I've found they've offered decent performance for their price. I still do.. But I think Tosh has missed a chance for some excellent PR here..

DO you really think there's any chance of an improved firmware for the 30/35 Nic? I had given up hope TBH. :D The player is still better than my Xbox addon, but that's like saying it's better than my toaster.. :D I paid full RRP for this player at launch. I knew there was a war, knew there was no garantees ad it raged. I don't blame Tosh for pulling out of the HD-DVD format. But I do blame them for droppign their customers who paid good money £100's for a player which they have done the barest minimum to support from launch. I don;t expect favours from a Multinational, but I will never again buy a product from Tosh until it performs as it should. I gave them the benefit of doubt and trusted them to get these player to perform, I was perfectly prepared (thanks to this forum) for these units to have problems at launch etc, I relished the opertunity to get one early and experience these developments hands on.. They really seem to have washed their hands completely... I've learnt from this and is why I will not buy any BR player on launch or with promisses of this and that through update as I know the same may happen.

Having said that I still enjoy my player as it gives me the best picture and audio I have ever had at home and with the cheap discs I've got plenty to play.. But given some spare cash or the chance to 'do it again' I would certainly go for an EX1 or E1.

How difficult and expensive would it have been for a company the size of Tosh to keep their firmware development team going for another 6 months?? They should have seen this as a unavoiable cost of the war to ensure customer goodwill, sadly we all have short memories, and so long as thier LCD's and SD-DVD player are cheap enough and good enough there enough people who will keep buying them.

BrianPK

What's the bottom line here? Are you saying that Tosh. could improve the HD picture quality of the EP30/35 with the "correct" firmware?...as I was under the impression that there was no difference between these players and the XE1 for HD playback but a marked difference with SD upscaling.

Nic Rhodes

Yes exactly. Have a read of the forum review of this player and you will see what I mean. Just for example my Oppo 983 achieves pretty well 80/80 for SD with the only hick up being layer changes. many of these can be tweaked by firmware development which is why the Oppos are so favoured for SD (and hopefully HD soon) as they are kings of firmwares.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published