Best Toshiba DVD player?

S

scook17

I can see there are a whole bunch of Toshiba DVD players. There is the 120, 220, 420, 520. I like Toshiba because I have a Toshiba 56" widescreen TV which has component video output, inputs. The prices are:

120 - £130
220 - £150
420 - £200
520 - £300

Is it worth the extra money to go from a 120 to a 520? Is the picture quality that much better? Oh, an ABSOLUTE prime requirement is that they play DVD-R disks. Do all of these players do this?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

On Toshiba's site the specs for the 420 and 220 say theses two players are compatable with DVD-R. There are no uptodate specs on the site for the 520 as yet, but having taken delivery of the 520 last week I have had a look in the users manual, the foot note says, though DVD-R are available they may be incompatable with this machine, so until someone has tried this format in this player and confirms it will play DVD-R it doesn't look as if it does.

As the 520 goes which is also hooked up to a 56" Toshiba the pictures are breathtaking, a marked improvement over the Pioneer 636 I had before. ;)

I've the 220, and it's played the couple of DVD-R disks I've thrown at it with no problems.

Picture is stunning for it's price, but if you've got component in on your TV and progressive scan (NTSC only though), the higher spec players may offer that to you too.

The sound is excellent too (for my ears), but I've also upgraded my amp & speakers too, so that may have something to do with it.

See if you can get a 14 day trial on the players to try them out, you may find the 220 acceptable, or really need the 520.

I didn't realize until after I posted this message, but the 520 is new, and a replacement of the 510. I understand it only came out this month. Does anyone know if the 510 played DVD-R disks?

Would anyone care to summarise the differences that matter between the various Toshiba players?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Originally posted by Jason S

See if you can get a 14 day trial on the players to try them out, you may find the 220 acceptable, or really need the 520.

Hi,

What retailers are you talking about that would offer trial period on players?.

ta

rai

Richer Sounds do a 14 day return policy both in store and online, as do places like Argos. Some of the other larger dealers / retailers should be able to source a demo unit if you ask nicely.

Worth remembering that you don't have to buy from the company you get the demo kit from if you can get a better deal elsewhere that they'll not match, but if it's only a few quid the customer service value is worth it.

bob007,

I've had a 56inch Tosh for a couple of weeks and have been very happy with it thus far. It has been used in conjunction with a 210E player, again satisfactorily.

However, today I received my new 520 player and during the last couple of hours have nearly induced a nervous breakdown trying to interpret the various instructions from the manual.

In the not too distant future I intend to purchase a Denon 3802 and the Gallo speakers.
In the meantime can you advise, at your convenience and leisure, the optimum settings and various menu selections to get the best performance from this combination.

I am totally useless at this sort of thing, so (very) plain english please.

You have been kind enough to help in the past so, many thanks in advance,
Brian.

Brian,

Set Up: Picture

* TV Shape: Select 16x9

* Forget about the Progressive 4x3 Output and Progressive Conversion unless you have a PJ.

* Pal/Auto: Switch to Auto

* Video output: Select Video or S-Video if your connect via Component, if connected via scart select RGB.

* Pause/Still: Select Auto

Audio:

* PCM Down Sampling: Depends on your amp, when you get the Denon select off

* Analogue Output: Depends on your amp, When you get the Denon select Stereo

* Digital Output: Bitstream

* DRC: Off

* Karaoke Vocal: Off

Language

Hope you don't need help here. :D

Operation

* Parental Lock: Personal Preference

* Remote Confirmation: Bleep on/off

* Title/Group Stop: Off

* PBC: for use with VCD, Play Back Control

* Priority Contents 1: Personal Preference, (What you watch and listen to most)

* Priority Contents 2: Personal Preference (What you will view or listen to the most, Jpeg eg, photos, MP3 music)

This covers the majority, if you need anymore assistance just give us a shout. ;)

Bob
Can you confirm whether the prog scanning can be turned off on the 520.
I want to purchase this player but don't need PS.
I phoned Tosh tech helpline and they said it could not be suspended because it autosenses any NTSC and comes in automatically.
Please confirm.
Thanks

When you have your Denon keep the dvd player settings as they are, making sure the Analogue output is stereo, this will make sure you are using the amps decoders.

Connect the DVD to the Amp via a digital cable, optical/coaxial.

Speakers (nice choice) set these to small and select ??Hz on the amps crossover, see Uncle Eric for that, think the 3802 lets you select various xovers 80Hz, 90Hz etc, he will advise what's best to compliment the gallo's.

As for all the other variables on set up, best sort that out when you have the amp and speakers. ;)

Don't know if all this is what you are asking or I haven't answered your question so fire away if your still in doubt. ;)

Originally posted by redmax
Bob
Can you confirm whether the prog scanning can be turned off on the 520.
I want to purchase this player but don't need PS.
I phoned Tosh tech helpline and they said it could not be suspended because it autosenses any NTSC and comes in automatically.
Please confirm.
Thanks
There is a switch on the back of the player where you can select PS or Interlaced. As far as I know this disables the PS on NTSC.

The TV I have is not PS compatable so it is hard to tell, but when I select PS the screen goes blue, if I select interlaced I get a picture. So I would say yes it can be turned off.

Hope this helps.

bob007,

Bob,

Thanks a lot for the extremely useful informatlon.
I should have mentioned that this was my first experience of using component video. I was not initially impressed, no major difference from scart.
I'll tweak some more, using your suggestions and see what happens.

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Brian.

Are you using the leads supplied with the player? If so bin them and get some decent component leads, then you should see a marked improvement. ;)

Originally posted by bob007
Are you using the leads supplied with the player? If so bin them and get some decent component leads, then you should see a marked improvement. ;)

Bob,

Do 'decent component leads' actually make a difference, or is this just a way to con joe public out of some money? Is there actually any difference between 'standard' and 'decent' (ie more expensive) leads, in terms of picture quality?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Originally posted by scook17
Bob,

Do 'decent component leads' actually make a difference, or is this just a way to con joe public out of some money? Is there actually any difference between 'standard' and 'decent' (ie more expensive) leads, in terms of picture quality?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Decent leads do make a difference, the cheap and tacky leads that are supplied with the equipment we buy can produce interference i.e crosstalk, channel bleed etc, by being poorly shielded, using cheap cable and slack terminations at the ends. I haven't had a good laugh in ages until I saw the so called component leads supplied with the Toshiba 520, a good solid player let down buy crap leads. The bin is the best place for them. I'm not saying go out and buy a £200 component lead, this would be overkill and not nessesary, but a good quality one around £20/£30 depending on length.

bob007

Bob,
I was indeed using the supplied component leads.

Any suggestions for alternatives costing less than, say, £50?
Similar for audio and coaxial/optical leads?

Thanks, Brian.

Hi Brian,

I use Home Cinema Heaven a fair bit, mainly because they are local to me, if I'm not in a hurry for the lead I will search for a better price.

Have the link for them here.

There are others online you could try.

HiFiBitZ and Hificables.

I use QED and Ixos, very happy with them. £50 should get you decent component and digital (optical/coaxial) leads.

Brian,

I'd be interested to know what you thought of the picture/sound quality improvement, if any, with the of the new cables when they arrive. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

scook17

Shane,
I will post the results on here.
However, I'm no expert! and the comments will very subjective(of course).

Brian.

I've been into Hi-Fi and home cinema for many years now and I have reached one conclusion amongst others:
The "con" is what I call the hardware upgrade treadmill which is continually promoted by the manufacturers and their lackeys in the hi-fi press.
We are constantly bombarded with sexy adverts telling us to buy newer and "better" equipment- but is it really better?
They are constantly trying to convince us that they have reinvented the wheel when in fact the components used in "newer" models are usually cheaper and less efficient and the facias are the only real change.
I have stopped lusting after new black (or siver) boxes anymore and concentrated on trying to squeeze better performance out of my existing equipment.
I have done this by investing substantial amounts of cash in cabling.
Any sceptics out there please believe me THEY WORK!!!!.
I can testify that good quality cables on your speakers, interconnects and mains will pay dividends on your investment with real musical involment & pleasure.
As Bob says dump your free cables that came in the box and get decent ones.
I use Kimber cable as sold by Russ Andrews and would reccomend a visit to their website for further info http://www.russandrews.com/home.html[/URL]
No I do not work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer of over four years and have been totally re-educated.
Check it out

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom