Question Best to start with

vittyek

Hello folks! Lately, I've been thinking on starting photography for quite a long time, I mean, searching and lot of things on track.

But many people have really different opinions on best camera to start with..
Some way Nikon, some say Canon, but I won't say anything, I'll ask you.

I want to know best one, for you, and possibly not the ultra high price one, I wanna go step by step.

Cast your suggestions!

snerkler

Forget brands, all cameras are capable of taking great photos so in general one brand is not better than the other. Canon vs Nikon is a debate that's been going on forever, and will continue to go on forever. It's never been settled as one's not better than the other. Then there's companies like Sony who have stolen a lot of the limelight in recent years, and then Olympus and Panasonic that offer the fantastic micro 4/3 cameras. A lot of people like Fuji too.

What I recommend when starting out is think what type of photography you want to do, and are likely to do in future and then look at cameras that have the features that you need, and have suitable and affordable lenses. Once narrowed down then try some out, some may not feel as nice to use as others, some may be too small, too big, too heavy etc etc.

What I would say is that the market has been shifting towards mirrorless systems and away from DSLRs and if starting out I would personally be looking into mirrorless rather than DSLR.

vittyek

We really need to know what you’re looking to photograph and at least an idea of how much you’d like to spend.
There are very few “bad” cameras but some will suit certain tasks better than others.
Hm, just checked out your Flickr! It's amazing :laugh:

I think I'll be making that kind of photos. Mostly naturalistic things. I hope you understand, since i'm uber newb in here. :rotfl:

AMc

Distinguished Member
Hm, just checked out your Flickr! It's amazing :laugh:

I think I'll be making that kind of photos. Mostly naturalistic things. I hope you understand, since i'm uber newb in here. :rotfl:
Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:

I've been using mirrorless cameras for many years.
I currently use an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II - generally I'm using the Olympus f2.8 12-40mm PRO zoom lens, sometimes the Olympus f1.8 17mm prime (fixed zoom).
Before I got the 12-40 I mainly used an Olympus 14-42mm EZ pancake zoom lens.

There are mark 3 and 4 versions of the same body - but apart from 4K video they don't add many features I care about.

If you're OK with buying used then the E-M10ii body starts around £200

The 14-42mm EZ lens starts around £110.

I like the Micro 4/3rds system from Olympus because the bodies and lenses are comparatively small and lightweight. The sensor is fairly large and the bodies have inbuilt stabilisation so you can take photos in situations where the light isn't great.

There are lots of other options out there - unfortunately it's not a great time to try out cameras due to COVID.
On a plus side the black friday sales events are likely to put out some bargains soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom