1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Thx speaker package of all.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Shin Akuma, May 13, 2005.

1. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Which THX speakers package is the best(M&K, Jamo, Kef etc.) in your opinion.
    I have used Mordaunt short, Jamo D7 and kef TDM package, these are all good but I personally think Jamo was my favourite.

2. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Are you including THX Select, THX Select2, THX Ultra, THX Ultra2 and THX PM3 all in the same 'best' list?

3. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thx select, Thx ultra and ultra2 inclueded but no Mp3. :)

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No Select2 then either? :confused:

5. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    If Select2 exist then why not.

6. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Why no PM3 then? :confused:

7. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I auditioned the M&K S-150 fronts, SS-150 rears, MX350 + MX700 sub last weekend. I believe they're THX Ultra certified. Partnered with Meridian kit, they sounded phenomenal. I haven't auditioned any other THX certified speaker sets so can't say how they compare with others in that price range.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Owned the Kef THX package and currently have M&K S150 THX Fronts running with M&K S85's as Surrounds & Surround Backs. The Kef THX speakers are excellent but there's not much that can touch the M&K's in terms of dynamics and detail.

9. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Cheers Guys,
    Shaka, Jase what is the room dimension where you auditioned/use them.

10. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My room size is 447x348cm, the demo room was approximately twice as long and probably just under twice the width. The M&K's had NO problem filling this room with sound. During 2-channel demo of Pink Floyd the sound was incredibly detailed and open, almost like the sepakers were only a few feet away from me. Watching the 'lobby' scene out of the Matrix was hair-raising experience. Even with so many guns, bullet shells,bangs etc, the M&K's managed to keep all the detail intact, there was no distortion even when I turned the volume up REAL loud. You could make it every single detail perfectly. Even with quieter scenes they performed superbly, the dialogue being extremely detailed and open and I could hear alot of minute details in the background which I hadn't heard before or was aware of before.
    I urge you to audition these yourself, you will not be disappointed.
    I'd get them right now myself, if I had the available cash.

Shaka

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree the S-150's are truly stunning speakers and i am even considering going back to M&K and changeing my B&W's to the S-150's as i just love the sound of these speakers... :)

12. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks Shaka, I think your room is about same size as mine and that is why I asked about the dimensions because it is said that Thx Ultra speakers require. This is the thing with M&K's they are redicouslesly detailed.
    Recruit, I don't blame you for going back to M&K's. well that is what my opinion about thx speaker for their movie play backablity. Recruit do you think 5x4 meter room is sufficient or adequate for M&K Thx package, it should be ok since I think these are not bassy speakers should work nicely in tight places.

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I agree in part with what you say but there is alot of speakers out there which are very good but not THX approved, anyway i do like the Monitor sound that M&K are renowned for as it is very precise and detailed which for movies sounds brilliant and are not too shabby with music either.
    With reference to you're room size most M&K speakers especially the S-150's are used in studio type enviroments which are usually smaller and close to the sound engineers and work extremley well, but they are also powerful enough to be used in larger rooms aswell.

Regards
    John

14. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    True, I emailed M&K support and received a very detailed reply from the senior audio engineer, Barry. He said with my room size I could use the LCR850's (not THX certified) and would get the similar level of performance & impact as I did with the S-150's in the deom room, BUT if I got the S-150's the quality would be astounding. He said they have a QC room not much bigger than mine, which Sony use with S-150's and a Denon 3805 and that the result is breathtaking.
    As John says, they'll work well in small rooms as well larger rooms. But don't take our words for it, try and audition them. I've heard some people find them a bit too 'forward'. Personally I want to hear every single detail and not fudge it over or hide it, which is why I loved what I heard with the S-150s.

Barry also suggested in addition to SS-150s, I also try the column surrounds as they are apparently very capable rear speakers. I've also read some excellent reviews for them. In your case though, they're not THX certified as far as I'm aware. Although that probably doesn't mean that they're not THX 'capable', if you know what I mean.

Shaka

15. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    If you're room is small, you could consider the on wall version of the 150.

16. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    18.5ft x 8.5ft. I sit about 10ft from them. :)

17. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Guys, Are these M&K's uncoloured in their sound,
    John, you are using coloumn sourrounds, and I believe you use to have SS-150 surround, can we say that coloumns are better then SS-150 because of the different design.

18. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Horse tamer
    Try and get a demo of the m&k 850s i think you will be suprised at how good they are very detailed and dynamic,
    Recruit (john) ive thought about changing to more hifi speakers but always worry ill miss the detail and crispness of the m&ks they dont miss a thing you could hear a pin drop there that good.
    Alot of non m&k systems ive heard sound like they have a cloak over the speakers compaired with clear crisp sound iam used to.
    Cheers Gonzo.

19. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Horse Tamer- They make a pair of columns with the same components as the ss150 (the CS150).

I was going to replace my SS150's with these until i heard the other columns
    22/29/35 (heights) which have the upward firing driver, to my ears they sounded better (although my dealer thinks the THX certified SS150/CS150 are better= more expensive).

Anyway the great thing about the columns are they are so much easier to place/experiment with, and as i have an alcove on one side it solved my problem with the rears.

That said, i love M&K's but they are overpriced in this country imo.
    Cheers John

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horse Tamer - I have always had the Column Surrounds and IMHO they are the best surround speakers i have heard in any system.

Gonzo - I know exactly what you mean in regards to the 850's they are a cracking speaker and very crisp and Dynamic in there presentation but my B&W's do outperform when it comes to Music but not films i suppose it is all about getting a balance and the M&K's are very good and will certainly do for me, even though people say they are over priced in this country i don't think they are :rolleyes:
    I am going to order a front set of M&K S150's soon but also keep the B&W's for a little bit longer but hey i am a M&K Fanboy :D

Regards
    John

21. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    They're neutral but very revealing. If the source is duff it will stick out a mile but a decent source can sound superb. I'd be careful what you partner them with though and I'd avoid bright sounding equipment if possible.

22. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If the :rolleyes: is aimed at me, then i think you are quite rude.
    I am only stating a fact that we pay a lot for the M&K brand, e.g. i have seen columns advertised for $899 on u.s. sites when we pay close to 3 times that amount.
    You have some nice and expensive kit and probably think £1250 on a pair of rears is not a lot.

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cyrus mate i didn't even know you was posting when i was writing that, but it dooes show that people have different opinions reference the priceing that's why i did not remove it and it definitly was not aimed at you.

No bad feelings i hope.

Regards
    John

24. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks Guys,
    It is generaly understood that M&K speakers are bit bright infact I used to have K7 package and it was bright, those rears(k4) were unbearable, I sold that since then I became a bit scared of the fact that other other M&K might be bright as well, well infact M&K 150's got 3 tweeter and they are going to be bright since all M&K's are timber matched so end of the day it may be going to be the same sound charcter that made me sell mine on the first place, I know M&K 150's use different component but I most certainly read that ALL M&K SPEAKERS ARE TIMBER MATCHED, I don't know if it was that book let or the web site. I can live with front one's but surrounds will be about 2 meters away may be little less, How do we tame them. :)

25. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Its important what equipment m&k is matched up with,My system isnt harsh at all and the little k-4s sound great so a little thought needs to be done on what cables you use analogue interconnects, speaker cable and then the right amplification to get the sound you like. m&k do need a lot of power (high current amplification to sound their best).
    Cheers Gonzo.

26. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have silver aniversery speakers cable and belden interconecters. that is the only thing I think I would swap to reduce the bightness but I don't know what with.

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horse Tamer - I used the silver anniversary cable and found that too Bright aswell but then changed to Van Den Hul CS122 which made the top end alot smoother on the M&K's.

Cheers
    John

28. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I use van den hul interconnects and cheap copper chord carnival speaker cable .I used to have qed silver anniversary and found that added to the treble much better with copper wire.
    Cheers Gonzo.

29. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Just for your info, but the 850's are going in for THX testing soon, so hopefully within the year there will be a THX 850 system available!!!

Regards

30. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Will Bryston 9B be OK with M&K 150's.??????????????????????????