Best thing you’ve bought in 2017?

Probably my consoles, Nintendo Switch and XBOX ONE X.. being a father to one year old twins throughout this year, has meant I haven't had much free time for anything at all. For this, the Switch is an absolute god send, being able to jump on it spontaneously and not rely on a TV is awesome... for the rare time I do get a chance to game the XBOX ONE X 4K graphics have blown me away.

I also subscribed to Spotify towards the end of 2017 and it has become an invaluable subscription service, I've never been big on paying a sub for music, but I really underestimated how awesome this service is, it is the only place I go to listen to music now as it lets me sync my local music and also works amazing on the XBOX.

Finally, BeatsX, I just love them, they sound amazing, and get me through days at work in a busy office environment.

Good idea for a thread! Been struggling to pick a 'best' but would be a tie between my Samsung s8 plus and Samsung Gear s3 smart watch.

Wish I had something more interesting but I use then both everyday so I guess that counts

Panasonic DX902 58" again though not purchased as I got it as a replacement for a faulty Sammy JS9000. I actually came away with a new larger and better display being FALD and ended with £800 In profit , although Vincent took a big part of that with a pro calibration.

Tesla Model S for the big one and probably my Apple Watch for something a little more normal.

Either a new fridge for my Dad or LED powered 6x magnification reading glass for my Mam.

Quality I.e best thing bought was for someone else

I bought my mum (81) her first smart phone. She loves it, only really uses text and camera but really likes the way it helps her keep in touch with cousins etc.

That's the one.......£535 VED, new EGR? New something else? Poor MPG? And he got a speeding ticket whilst towing his caravan! :laugh:
I could get a ticket doing 40 in a 30 in any car... Banter is fine but don't be a knob...
It'a an 08 plate car and had some teething problems but is perfect for our needs. So for us it was a good buy for 2017.

I could get a ticket doing 40 in a 30 in any car... Banter is fine but don't be a knob...
It'a an 08 plate car and had some teething problems but is perfect for our needs. So for us it was a good buy for 2017.

I wasn't being a knob :confused: if i remember correctly, even you were laughing about the speeding ticket?

No doubt it is perfect for your needs. We've all been there, buying a new car, then 5 minutes later, it needing an expensive repair. You've got to laugh, otherwise you'll cry.

In my case, a Golf which broke down just after leaving motorway which needed a £1300.01 repair (including new cambelt, as it was due)

I did laugh about the speeding ticket in Motoring, but it's still my best purchase of 2017; now that it's working ;). I just didn't see the point. Apologies if I was over sensitive. :thumbsup:

Best AV Purchase:

Finally: a 1080p projector.

It's been an expensive year - car and, just before Christmas, a boat.

The car (e class estate) was new (replacement for my old car which husband wrote off); the boat is a 20 year old 38ft Dutch steel cruiser which is in good condition but needs a little updating and tlc.

All retirement plans are now cancelled!

Going Atmos: 4 x PSB Imagine XA upfiring speakers.

The review on this site convinced me to try it and it is just such a huge leap from "just" 5.1. The sound is now wider as well as taller and it's relatively easy to install with existing speakers already in place, all you need is extra speaker cable.

It was one of those purchases whereby you can't imagine going back to what you had before because the improvement is so evident.

Going Atmos: 4 x PSB Imagine XA upfiring speakers.

The review on this site convinced me to try it and it is just such a huge leap from "just" 5.1. The sound is now wider as well as taller and it's relatively easy to install with existing speakers already in place, all you need is extra speaker cable.

It was one of those purchases whereby you can't imagine going back to what you had before because the improvement is so evident.

Fingers in ears.......stop it, stop it.....

A 65 inch 4k hdr Samsung, really very good picture and our first properly smart tv so our viewing has changed a lot.
A centre helm sports boat. Really nice way to relax more and work less.
Oh, and a wife. Very useful.

Best thing I bought in 2017 was our new house.
50A11906-8E93-4A2D-BE4D-30AD54843CEB.jpeg

BMW M6

20170610_123302.jpg

Kept meaning to start a thread like this actually.

Best Purchase: B&W P7s - finally got bored of sticking headphones in my ears and went for some cans - huge upgrade for my commutes

Runner Up: Nvidia Shield - letting me ditch Kodi and get all my streaming/content in one place with a simple voice controller.

Predictions for 2018:
- Maybe new family van
- Maybe finally take the plunge into a 4K (ish?) projector, with some associated minor building work

Probably my car (C Class coupé), with honourable mentions to my 5K iMac, Amiga 1200 and my just-bought QNAP NAS.

Has to be building and moving into our new house

Tech Phillips hue for me with Alexa control really like the different effects created.

And not a,purchase but welcoming our third Foster child into our family was a great point during 2017

Attachments

• C1376B9D-B81A-4CF2-AE3E-627EFBADE60F.jpeg
    C1376B9D-B81A-4CF2-AE3E-627EFBADE60F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • 75D397D9-CE28-47EC-8EC2-9BB383767CCC.jpeg
    75D397D9-CE28-47EC-8EC2-9BB383767CCC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Wife would probably say potters wheel and kiln

Personally not sure, AVR and 4k DVD were both good but not as mind blowing as hoped for. So probably go for my new Kai Kaji kitchen knives, bit of an impulse buy at the start of the year but are much sharper than the knives they were replacing and hold their edge incredably.

This year is a bit difficult to predict, could buy a car to keep my NCD alive but then not sure what esp as the Mrs is talking babies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom