Best thing since sliced bread!!!

tonyselon

Established Member
Reaction score
Well as a newcomer to the world of non-VHS recording, I just wanna say how much of a leap it is over poor old video tape. I am referring to DVD recording and HDD recording in particular. Bought my machine just under 2 weeks ago from Tchibo and it is branded TCM. I didn't want to blow best part of £380 without some sort of redress but I needn't have worried because the manager told me if I was in any way dissatisfied with the machine I could return it even after Christmas.
The one big thing that stands out about HDD recording is the simplicity of it . No more rewinding/fast forwarding tapes to get a section of free tape to record on. With its 80Gb drive I just hit rec button & it records.Once recorded,I just press play & it plays instantly. If I press stop the screen reverts back to whatever I was watching ( Freeview or Sky or analogue tuner). If I press play again the playback resumes from where I pressed stop. Not only that but I can also record on the HDD at the same time as playing something I've previously recorded on the HDD!! something not mentioned in the manual. Editing is good with the abilty to delete parts of a recording,divide them & combine them. I can rename each title and even choose any part of the recording to appear as the thumbnail at the touch of a button during playback. Is this the norm for recorders of this type?
Theres more but I think I've rambled on enough. After being one of the first to buy a piano-keyed mechanical VHS Vcr with wired remote back in 1979, I can't believe I put up with VHS for all those years. To anyone not sure about HDD/DVD recorders dont be, try it-you'll be hooked and will wonder how you ever managed without one. I know I am, I love it!

TonyP

The features you mention are pretty much standard on all HDD recorders.Have not heard of TCM though.£380 sounds a lot for an unbranded make.The Toshiba is cheaper than that.
What foramt dvd's does it record too?

Well I've not heard of TCM either but I'm happy with my purchase. It records on the HDD in 3 quality modes giving me 20,40 or 80 hrs reording.I 'm happy on the middle setting for general timeshifting. It burns to -R/-RW discs. I know there are cheaper out there but I was able to go to the shop myself as it is only half mile away but I was impressed with the 3yr guarantee most only come with 1yr !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom