1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best theme when using XP Home through plasma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dodgyd, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi all,

I've just managed to smuggle my spare pc into the living room hifi rack unnoticed by my wife ;) What theme is generally regarded as most sympathetic to plasma screens in terms of screen burn / image retention? Perhaps there is a downloadable them for this purpose? Upgrading to XPMC is not an option, I only use the PC for the odd bit of browsing/emails from the comfort of my lounge. By the way, I just today got this great little cheapo wirless keyboard for less than £20, works all over my medium size lounge. It's a BTC 9019URF :)

Thanks,
    Dave.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Well, I've taken a minimalist approach. I use a solid blue background (not sure why, but most VCR's display that). I hide the desktop icons entirely (right click - show desktop icons - off). And I put the start menu on auto-hide, and have it along the right hand side of the screen (ie. instead of at the bottom). I've added my shortcuts to the quicklaunch bar.

Works for me on my widescreen RPTV.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I used to change my colour settings to various shades of grey (ie. low contrast), but I can't be bothered any more. Usually I'm just viewing DVD's or TV anyway.

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I have my taskbar going down the left hand side of the screen!
    Also enable large fonts, and clear type fonts makes a difference, and I run mine at a res of 1024 x 576 via DVI.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Good point - I forgot about fonts. I run at 1080i (yes, I'm bragging), and so I change the DPI (dots per inch) setting in the "advanced display settings" to 150%. This makes everything proportionally bigger. It works quite well for most software (and is good for laptops with high res screens, too). You usually need to reboot to see the full effect.