1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best T.V. for the footy???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rcladin, May 16, 2003.

1. rcladin

rcladin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I too am looking to purchase a new T.V. Soon and my number one priority for this box is to look good when the footy is on!

I've had and seen TV that's look pixelated and blocky especially around the players making it difficult to distinguish who's got the ball, occasionaly can be like looking at a poorly encoded mpeg file.

NTL or Sky Digital as source.

Have also heard of the ready brek effect on some models! and then finally the horizontal pan effect, i.e. quick motion sports with camera panning quickly produces terrible motion blurring.

I'm looking for suggestions on widescreen tv's 32 to 36inch varieties,

any info will be helpful?

does your tv look good when the footy is on, please do tell.

Regards

-rcladin

:smoke:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Them problems sound like bad 100hz processing. So avoid any set with 100hz, and get a 50hz model instead.

My set is a 50hz, but it's bigger than 36" No problems with fast pans (apart from one time, but it hasn't re-appeared). I don’t watch football though.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For starters,football will look blocky on ITV and Sky have a software bug with their Sports channels at the mo,showing intermittent detailed/soft pictures with footy.

BBC is the best for footy,with it's higher bitrates and possibly Five.

You will need a 50Hz TV as well with a clear picture like my Philips 32PW6506.

:clap:

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    on my jvc 32d25 the footy from satelite or local station is excellent as long as the signal is good. Anthing bad and you will get poor results. I dont have sky so I dont know what the signal is like but most people seem to have the same problems and on high resolution tvs if you get a flawed signal it really shows up on these tvs due to the fine detail they produce. Also this tv might be better than the 100 hz sets as it is 75 hz and doesnt have the motion artifacts most people seem to have on these while watching football.

5. Christ

Christ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Take a look at an FQ70 in a Sony Center (i.e. with a good source), and you will not see any of the blurring or blockiness associated with other 100hz sets, beleive me once youve had a 100hz set at home for a couple of days you would never go back to anything 50hz..

6. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's because Sky and NTL do use mpeg with too low a bit rate !

I have NTL digital and I almost always see some blockiness when watching football matches be it on a 50Hz Sony trinitron or a 100Hz Thomson. ITV and ITV2 seem to be the worst. Fortunately NTL also send an analogue ITV signal which is better on both TVs. So the blockiness is the fault of the providers not the TV.

For fast motion my 100Hz tv is not quite as sharp as the older 50Hz set especially with digital noise reduction enabled. This is *just* noticeable in football but very noticeable when there are white, fast-scrolling credits at the end of a program : they are blurred on the 100Hz set, but not on the 50Hz. Same goes for my neighbour's £1200 Panasonic 100Hz...

Martin