1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Systems Connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dinothetiger, Mar 11, 2004.

1. dinothetiger

dinothetiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, i need some help with connecting my gear all up so i get the best picture and sound out of it.. heres my stuff;

Pioneer 434pdp;
    Input 1 (SCART) AV In, RGB In, TV Out
    Input 2 (SCART) AV In/Out, S Input, i/o Link.A
    Input 3 (SCART/ Component) AV IN/Out, RGB In, S In, i/o Link.A,
    Y'Pb'Pr' In (RCA pin),HDMI

a pace digital cable box, a pace sky box, Panasonic VCR(2 scarts), Denon 3802, DVD Player - Progressive scan.

Please please advise needed on the best way to connect which items together via scart or anything else..
    :rolleyes:

2. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Dino
    you could try it like this
    buy a 2 way (RGB)scart switch box and connect the Cable box and Sky box. this would go into Input 1
    VCR via scart - Input 2
    DVD via HDMI if you have it on your DVD player or if not then use component - Input 3,
    the only problem is that you video will have one scart input for recording, so you could buy a second scart switch box to switch between the two.

Sound
    then just connect all sources to your 3802, the DVD will be via digtal co-ax and the vcr via phono or if your sky or cable box has an tos link connection then use these, if not then just use phono

hope this helps

:)

3. dinothetiger

dinothetiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi samir,

with this switching box will i have to keep on having to get up and flick a switch on the switching box to switch between the cable and sky box?

if i connect the dvd player via a progressive scan, does that mean the scart end will fit into the plasma and the 3 wire cable will, fit on the dvd player?
    :rolleyes:

samir :smashin:

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dino
    Yes you will have to get up to switch between the sky & cable
    Not the best solution but it's the only one I can think of to keep the signal as RGB

Too connect the dvd player and run it using prog scan it will have to be connected to your plasma via a set of component cables, these will be three will have phono's at both ends.
    A scart cable will NOT carry a progressive signal

What dvd player will you be using?
    :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    dinothetiger

To achieve optimum video and audio with your kit list try the following - I've assumed you have the Pioneer speakers attached to the PlasmaTV in addition to your 5:1 AV Receiver:

01. Progressive DVD player:
    YUV out (3RCA) to Media Box Input 03 (3RCA)
    SCART out (FW) to Media Box Input 03 (SCART)*
    Optical or Co-axial 5:1 out to AVR-3802 Optical or Co-axial 5:1 In.

*The SCART cable enables playback of stereo audio via the PlasmaTV speakers on Input 03.

02 Set top Digibox and Cable box:

With your two set tops you can either add in an 'automatic' SCART switch - we use and supply the JS Technology MASTER SCART controller; or you can daisy chain your two set tops.

Probably easier in this instance to use the MASTER SCART controller - therefore:

PACE Cable Digibox:
    SCART out (FW) to MASTER SCART controller
    Input 01 (SCART)
    Stereo Audio out (2RCA) to AVR-3802 Stereo Audio In (2RCA)

PACE SKY Digibox:
    SCART out (FW) to MASTER SCART controller
    Input 02 (SCART)
    Stereo Audio out (2RCA) to AVR-3802 Stereo Audio In (2RCA)

MASTER SCART controller:
    SCART out (FW) to Media Box Input 01 (SCART)

The MASTER SCART controller will automatically switch inputs whenever you take your second unit in or out of standby.

I have assumed you will pre set both of your set tops to output RGB via SCART and Input 01 on the Media Box to accept RGB - this will ensure optimum picture quality from your set tops.

03. VCR:
    As your Set tops will be outputting RGB via SCART your will be limited to connecting the RF of the set tops to your VCR to make off air recordings.

For recording all you will require is a simple RF daisy chain between the two set tops and your VCR.

For VCR playback you will require one SCART (FW) out to Input 02 on the Media Box for Composite video playback.

If your VCR has separate RCA audio outs use this to get audio input your AV Receiver - if not you'll require a SCART cable with flying RCA phono's and possibly a cable splitter.

Trust this all makes sense and you know where to shout if you require cables or a MASTER SCART controller :)

Best regards

Joe

6. dinothetiger

dinothetiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks joe thats very detailed :eek:)

just wanted to know why people dont just connect their media box directly to their 5.1 receiver amp? that way when the plasma is turned off then theres no sound.?