Best System For My Budget? Help Please!

DaveyP162

Standard Member
Hi all,

Hoping to move into new home at the end of this month I have got aside my saving for tv system etc etc

Heres a list,, is there anything you would change? Ways to save money on the setup?

Tv - Panasonic TH50PZ81B £1285 delivered
AV receiver - Onkyo TXNR905B £900
PS3 and Xbox 360 - already own
Speakers - Kef KHT2005.3 £700
Will be installing sky hd.

I would also like a multi format 1080p upscaling dvd player with divx etc etc can anyone reccommend one?
I've been looking at the Samsung DVD-1080P8 DVD Player and the Sony DVP-NS78HB.

I know i should use decent cables so have been looking at the maestro hdmi cable on ukhdmi.com, any thoughts?

Last thing what kind of speaker cable should i buy because i have no idea what to look for with regards to this!

Any advice appreciated! Thanks! :clap:

blackpants

why not use the ps3 for dvds?

HDMI cables can be had for a few pounds on ebay thats where I bought my 3 and I get perfect picture/sound 3 for less than a tenner, including postage!

DaveyP162

Standard Member
hi thanks for the quick reply,

i would like the dvd player because i put a lot of tv series i record onto cd/dvd and the ps3 doesnt play them!

Thanks!

Paulus360

Standard Member
Richer sounds have the 905 for £800 if you can live with silver. It might be a bit too good for the 2005s though.
I use QED original speaker cable which is quite good. I don't know if you would notice any difference if you spent more to be honest. I could be wrong though.
The PS3 is quite good at upscaling DVDs.
I have compared HDMI cables in the past and couldn't really see any difference.

Robsk1

There are still some Yamaha 3800's left. Titanium in colour only (slightly darker than silver iirc) here. £699. Half price.

DaveyP162

Standard Member
Latest HDMI 1.3a (4 in/1 out) specification supports with Deep Color (30/36 bit) transmission, Refresh Rates (120Hz/100Hz and 24Hz) and Auto Lip-Sync compensation with the yamaha,, is this the same for the 905 does anyone know?

thanks again!

scorpion88

Hi, The Yamaha was circa £1300 when new (RRP) and at that price is an absolute bargain. Cheers

DaveyP162

Standard Member
hi, yeah agree a bargain price but i think the onkyo is too! £899.00 rrp £1399.99!

i'm wondering if i could manage to get any shop/retailers to throw the stands in with those kef 3005 speakers and convince the mrs its a bargain! :D

cheers!

scorpion88

Why not get the Yamaha and excellent Oppo DV-980H (£699 + £150) + some DVDs for the price of the aesthetically challenged Onkyo. The appeal of that combination will keep everyone happy.:devil:

DaveyP162

Standard Member
Hi again, sorry total newbie but if I go for the onkyo with kef 3005 se speakers, exactly what cable/connecters? should I be looking at to get the best out of the system and what are the likely costs?

thanks in advance!

rwniel

DaveyP162, There's a cable and interconnects sub-forum that tends to discuss the latest deals. But in terms of the actual cables you need, I've added a few links for you. Firstly, they'll be speaker cable running between the 5 satellite speakers and the Onkyo (or other av amp/receiver). Depending on the installation and layout of your room, you could also consider flat cable such as this (they also do an adhesive version which works well if you want to tack cable along a skirting board, for example). Also a subwoofer cable between your av receiver and Kef sub. For your sources, your PS3 and pending SkyHD box would be connected via hdmi cable plus a hdmi cable between the av receiver and television. But you'll also need an optical digital cable of sufficient length (between av receiver and SkyHD box) to carry the surround sound audio (since the SkyHD box can't currently send anything other than stereo sound over hdmi unlike the PS3 which can make do with a single hdmi cable carrying both surround audio and video). Some people choose to connect their SkyHD box directly to the television providing it has sufficient hdmi inputs (rather than putting video through the av receiver as well) - the advantage of doing so is that it makes it easier to watch regular television without having the home theatre system switched on (i.e. through the television's speakers) - you would still have the optical cable running between the Onkyo and the SkyHD box, so the actual cabling wouldn't change except perhaps different lengths of cable being required.

Depending on whether your Xbox360 is one of the old or new style models (with hdmi) you would need another optical cable with the former, or hdmi cable with the latter. Personally speaking, I don't think you need to spend extra on the Maestro hdmi cables; I've used the Premium ones in the past and they've been fine with a range of different sources.

Robert

Last edited:

scorpion88

The crux of the matter here is the Amp. As I have previously stated it would be a grave mistake to go for the Onkyo without at least demoing the heavily discounted Yamaha. The discounted Yamaha is £200 less than the Onkyo and will blow it out of the water. Anything else, speakers etc is a mere side issue.

I really would hate for you to spend money on the Onkyo when you can get a clearly better amp for £200 less. I have also given you details of a great DVD Player you require inclusive at a cost less than the ugly and hot running Onkyo.

However, it is your choice.:rolleyes:

rwniel

My question would be do you need the networking capabilities of the SR905? My suggestion would be to at least audition the SR806. But also you could consider the SR875 which still seems to be available in a few places. It's really about deciding how much you need to spend in order to give you the performance you're expecting regardless of whether you end up with an Onkyo av receiver or another make/model. :)

Also, unless it has to be the Kefs try to get an audition of something like the M&K K1 5.1 package for comparative purposes. Bookshelf style speakers are better IMO providing you're able to accomodate them. Which reminds me....the Quad L-ite package is still phenominal value even though many of the finishes seem to have sold out completely now.

Robert

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom