1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best swap out warranty?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by torihada, Apr 8, 2005.

1. torihada

torihada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of choosing a LCD or DLP projector for an art gallery and wanted to know if anyone had any problems with the manufacturer's swap out/loan warranties? I will be showing a film for 5 days a week, 8 hours per day for 8 weeks. Therefore in the event of projector failure I will require a loan replacement within 24-48 hours. At the moment I have a choice of 3 manufacturers; NEC, Mitsubishi and Optoma. Has anyone had any experience with any of these manufacturers and their loan machines and whether or not they have been able to produce replacements/loans at short notice?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm pretty sure that BenQ offer a 48 hour swap out in the first of the three years warranty on the PE5120 DLP Projector. Not sure if they offer the same deal across their whole range.

3. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    There are no manufacturers who guarantee a "like for like" replacement so you should bear this in mind if you are permanently mounting the projector (get a universal rather than bespoke bracket and hope the replacement projector has a similar throw ratio). In our experience Plus seem to be the best at getting projectors out quickly in the event of a fault and are the most reliable at like for like replacement, with Viewsonic so far being very good as well.

Are you able to supply any further information about the installation? Brightness required, throw distance and screen size etc? It's also worth budgeting for a replacement lamp if you're using the projector this heavily.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. torihada

torihada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Ken.
    It'll be used in different settings (therefore a slightly greater zoom facility is a consideration), but first installation will be in a darkened room (no natural light) for 8 weeks and then used less frequently. Ceiling mounted (ceiling approx 3m high) distance to viewing wall (white emulsion on mdf cladding) approx 3 m. Size of projected image less than 2m width. (throw measurements and screen size are guestimates as I'm not at work at the moment and can't remember room measurements) I am looking at 2000 lumens min, as it will next find a home in a room with subdued natural light (window blinds).This is only going to be used to show an artist's DVD film, not widescreen. I will also be looking to attach powered speakers rather than an amp and speakers, as this wont be a home cinema set up (ie film doesn't have dolby stereo). My budget for the projector is approx. £1,000 excluding VAT and doesn't take into account an extra bulb, which I expect to be approx. £250 plus.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    torihada

Sorry your living in a dream world :)

Swap Out warranties are never going to deliver the cover/service you require - you'd be better served looking into hiring a suitable projector for each installation and ensuring you have the cover you require from your hire company included in the terms of your hire.

If your Installation goes down at 16:45 on a Friday (as they always do) it'll be Monday before you can even report it and Wednesday before you'd have anyone on site if your relying on a manufacturers warranty.

Find a decent hire company and haggle hard over the terms of the hire - if you ask around at your local 'Art House' film centre, Art College, Theatre etc you'll often find most Towns and City's have a fairly active 'Hire' stock for the Art community and these can usually be had for quite a bit below normal commercial hire rates.

Best regards

Joe

PS And you'll find most Venue's have a 'sitting' AV Hire company who again will provided kit at below normal rates.

7. torihada

torihada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Joe Fernand
    Thank you for the succinct reply.
    Far from living in the dreamworld I am just taking a hard look at the economics of hiring. I have in the past 12 months spent close on £2000 on hiring projectors, I need another projector next month and so the time has come to purchase a projector. So in my poor deluded view of reality I thought as we'd decided to purchase a projector it would be logical to opt for a manufacturer that offered a loan facility as part of the warranty (one major vendor told me that he would normally expect to have loan replacements with clients within 24 hours and 48 hours maximimum, is this untrue?). Hiring from an arts council funded organisation (there are couple that specifically hire av equipment to artists at subsidised rates) or any other publicly funded organisation is not an option as we are a commercial venue.

Anyway I'm going off topic. Thanks to anyone who has any useful anecdotal advice/experience about loan/swap out warranties.
    Torihada

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello Torihada

What have you hired?

Would you have been able to buy the kit you hired/required within your indicated budget?

No sense buying an entry level fixed lens projector if each application requires a different throw/image size/brightness.

I've seen many times folk who are regular hire customers go out and purchase an entry level Projector that one project just about funds and then find the NEW Projector is hardly ever used as on subsequent projects its not got the correct spec.

The manufacturer warranties simply don't cover enough bases to be relied upon - there is NO down side to the manufacturer if they get it wrong; other than you screaming Blue Murder on the end of a phone :)

Ken (Ivojo) mentions Plus as delivering a decent service - I see Ken also carries Epson and wonder what he thinks of some of their 'Warranty' upgrade packages - more cost but more likely will deliver the type of cover your looking for if your budget is not overly extendable.

If your crystal ball rubbing says your on track to spend £2K per annum based on the last twelve months spend have you considered a 'Lease Purchase' - with £6K in the kitty (a lease will have a minimum three year term) you could look at something along the lines of the Panasonic PT-L785 XGA 3200 ANSI Lumen with optional lens assemblies (short, long, fixed, zoom).

You could purchase 2 x projectors and use one as a spare - its a good idea to alternative the usage on each one to stretch out the warranty period; again its a 3Yr Swap Out with limitations on accumulated hours used.

No manufacturer is going to supply a £1K Projector - with 24/48 hour Swap Out support for 3 Years on a Projector that's going to rack up a fair few thousands hours each year; they'd go bust!

Apologies if I sound overly negative - we've had an AV Hire company/department for 15 years and know the pitfalls!

Best regards

Joe

9. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The warranty on the Plus projector range is 3 years on the machines themselves, regardless of the amount of hourly use (I have checked this again with Plus UK this morning) and 1000 hours or 6 months (whichever comes first) on the lamps.

We would always recommend in a “mission critical” install such as yours, with heavy projector use, that you purchase a spare lamp. Obviously in the event of projector failure, if a replacement lamp is required then you fit your spare. If the projector has a complete failure then you either contact the dealer (us) or the manufacturer who arranges for a loan support projector to be delivered on the same day as your faulty projector is collected for repair.

So just to reiterate, the Plus warranty is for a period of 3 years on the projector, regardless of the number of hours or periods of use (we have sold these for 24/7 use environments in the past) and 1000 hours/6 months on the lamp.