1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best surround speakers for around £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vjcinemas, May 31, 2004.

1. vjcinemas

vjcinemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi AV Nuts,
    Thinking of buying a new home cinema setup to include Arcam AV300 & DV79, Quad 12L fronts along with their new centre speaker. Currently Quad do not make surrounds. Which surround speakers would be best suited to integrate into this system? Also is their a ceiling past which spending moremoney on a better sub woofer it would be wasted on my system? I am currently thinking about a Rel Q400, I would like really tight controlled bass on both music and cinema.

Thanks for advice.

Vijay (Newish Home cinema Nut)

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    If the £500 for rears doesn't get attacked for subwoofer money- I would encourage you to listen to the Mordaunt Short MS506 THX dipole at £480. It isn't small but throws rear effects around with considerable vigour and has a reasonable bass response in its own right. Available in Maple and Black.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, just use the Quad 11L's for the rear...or better still the the 22L's for the fronts and the 12L's for the rear.

CaM

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The law of diminishing returns works for subwoofers as well as everything else. If you consider joining the ever increasing band of SVS owners there would be little advantage in spending more than £1,000 on either a PC ultra or PB2 Plus both of which are sonically superior to the REL Q400

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    What you need is a lovely Rel Storm 3 just like the one for sale in the classifieds from an extremely nice chappie!