1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best surround sound speakers for under £200??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SilverPenguin7, Aug 11, 2002.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    After the great success I had from my first thread (thanks again guys will keep you updated) I thought I would get some more advice from you guys (and gals?).

Now need to upgrade my surround speakers to keep in pace with my nice new amp. Whats the best I can get for under £200?

I have Celestion F3's up front with the F series centre so something that will sit nicely with them. I was going to go for a smaller floorstander from the Celestion range (F2's maybe) but am unsure. Are the Mission 77DS bipolars any good? RS are doing them for £99 down from £199.

Last but not least (and I may sound like an amatuer here as I have not followed Home Cinema stuff for far to long) whats so special about Bipolar speakers anyhow??

Thanks peeps :)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're a vestigial remnant of Dolby Pro-logic, designed to 'broaden' a dual mono signal. Not necessarily a good choice for stereo rears.

FYI, THX post-processing tinkers with rear output to broaden and diffuse a signal from a monopole speaker.

Mike.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Disagree with Flimber as I think he refers to dipoles.

Dipoles: drivers fire out of phase, thus resulting in a diffuse soundfield but bass tends to cancel each other out - to be placed beside the listening position

Bipoles: drivers in phase creating less diffusion but maintain bass, a bit more directional - placing as above

Monopoles (direct radiating or normal speakers): preferred choice for multi-channel music since they are directional - place anywhere you like basically (in the corner, on the back wall, on the sidewall, facing up or against the wall etc)

In the end it's a matter of personal taste and perhaps placing issues to some extend ...

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Agree with Reiner as it's dipoles that are a very expensive remnant from the good old days of Pro Logic.

Whilst, as Reiner says, it should be a matter of personal choice, it frequently isn't as most of us don't live in American style huge rooms and we have the settee pushed up against the rear wall thus ruling out direct radiating speakers.

I have Mission M7DS which are a tonal miss match for my M&K fronts but I could only reasonably have flush fitting bipoles anyway, or tiny little DAV type things.

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Space is kinda an issue as I have my sofa up against the wall with not a huge amount of area either side (damn DVD cabinet).

So which speakers would go well with my F series Celestions?