• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best surround sound for TV without optical input

soulfool

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Sony Bravia KDLS3000 TV that doesn't have an optical input. I'm looking for a surround sound/home cinema set up that would best suit me.

I have a PS3 which I would like to integrate too so that I can watch my Blu Ray's in surround sound. Apparently, the PS3 has an optical input? I don't know if this could be used?

I was looking at Sound Bars, but they all seem to require a TV with an optical input. Price wise, I'm looking to spend around £300.

Thanks for your help.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would get an AV reciever and speaker set (Something like the Onkyo 3405 or Yamaha 196 or a separate amp and speaker package -like Yamaha 371 and Yamaha NSP 40 speakers).
You would connect the PS3 direct to the amp with HDMI (the PS3 has an optical output (not input) but you get better sound quality via HDMI) and then you would connect your TV via phono outputs if it does not have an optical output.

soulfool

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. So HDMI is better than optical then? My TV has 3/4 HDMI sockets, so I have plenty of scope there.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The number of HDMI slots on the TV is irrelevant for an AVR as you would have all the HDMIs from your various sources going to the AV reciever and then one HDMI from the reciever to the TV. HDMI will give HD audio with blurays which you will not get with optical so HDMI is better for blurays. For DVDs and other sources there is no difference between HDMI and optical although HDMI is probably easier to use.
How old is your TV. If it is more than a year or so old then it will not have ARC so you will need another connection from the TV to the reciever (the HDMI from the reiever to the TV will not send audio back to the reciever from the TV).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom