Question Best surround sound clips - need to put some rear speakers through their paces...

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello.

Apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong section or if there’s a thread that covers this already - I did look but couldn’t find anything...

Ive just picked up some new rears and whilst my rooms still being put together I can pretty much move them around to my heart’s content to see where they work best before properly installing them.

Im just wondering what clips are best to test the tears out, I appreciate it’s the whole experience, but wondering if there are any clips I should try that’ll allow me to see what I feel works best with their placement.

Many thanks

Have you tried the Dolby test videos?

Check this list if you own any of the mentioned. Perhaps @mb3195 can give specific recommendation for "rears" .

Check this list if you own any of the mentioned. Perhaps @mb3195 can give specific recommendation for "rears" .

most of the films in recommended previously would make good use of rears tbh.

Thanks for the quick replies I will have a look at that thread - not sure why I couldn’t find it!!

For me, it's this: Star Wars - Attack of the Clones. Great demo for surround sound speakers and your sub.

I have DTS demo disc you have have for cheap. You'll need to put up a wanted ad to stick to forum rules

Gravity @ 10mins.
The radio comms pan across different speakers and the surround effects really put you right in middle of the ensuing carnage. Further into the scene as the camera enters inside the astronauts helmet there's a distinct hallow sound for complete envelopment, like a bubble. A good test for matching tonality.

The Book of Eli @ 52mins.
The first shot is piercing, follows a straight path, flies past your left shoulder and ricochets off a tin can(?), then a second shot followed by a complimentary shoot-out.

The Book of Eli @ 1hr18min.
The big machine gun comes out, plenty of 360° surround steering as the house disintegrates at an accelerated rate of entropy.

The Revenant @ 2hr16min.
In the woods, a sudden sound from behind startles the character as he turns and points his rifle toward it. Subtle but excellent 360° surround steering/pan.

War Horse @ 1:39:35.
Enemy mortar flies right surround to left surround then explodes with a mighty bang. Great test for surround/sub integration. The immediate battle scene that follows is of course well praised for its sound effects.

Lone Survivor @ 21mins.
This ones a bonus. Insane use of ULF (~6Hz) bass and surround sound. The tactile effect, back and forth motion along with the sound of the blades should make you feel like you're inside the transport chopper. Very realistic.

Just a few fav scenes that I use to ensure the surround speakers are optimal.

Stick one of my favourites and that Master and Commander. Not only a fantastic opening battle scene with every speaker at full bore but the ambient sounds from being on a wooden sailing ship are beautifully portrayed.

Gravity @ 10mins.
The radio comms pan across different speakers and the surround effects really put you right in middle of the ensuing carnage. Further into the scene as the camera enters inside the astronauts helmet there's a distinct hallow sound for complete envelopment, like a bubble. A good test for matching tonality.

The Book of Eli @ 52mins.
The first shot is piercing, follows a straight path, flies past your left shoulder and ricochets off a tin can(?), then a second shot followed by a complimentary shoot-out.

The Book of Eli @ 1hr18min.
The big machine gun comes out, plenty of 360° surround steering as the house disintegrates at an accelerated rate of entropy.

The Revenant @ 2hr16min.
In the woods, a sudden sound from behind startles the character as he turns and points his rifle toward it. Subtle but excellent 360° surround steering/pan.

War Horse @ 1:39:35.
Enemy mortar flies right surround to left surround then explodes with a mighty bang. Great test for surround/sub integration. The immediate battle scene that follows is of course well praised for its sound effects.

Lone Survivor @ 21mins.
This ones a bonus. Insane use of ULF (~6Hz) bass and surround sound. The tactile effect, back and forth motion along with the sound of the blades should make you feel like you're inside the transport chopper. Very realistic.

Just a few fav scenes that I use to ensure the surround speakers are optimal.
Just played the scene from gravity age's since I've played the movie really demonstrates how good a surround sound system can be I think a good surround system makes a movie

Just played the scene from gravity age's since I've played the movie really demonstrates how good a surround sound system can be I think a good surround system makes a movie

Great isnt it? Had a some neighbours over a while ago and played that scene amongst a few others. They were left speechless! :D

Stick one of my favourites and that Master and Commander. Not only a fantastic opening battle scene with every speaker at full bore but the ambient sounds from being on a wooden sailing ship are beautifully portrayed.

I must be the only one on this here forum to not have watched this yet! I really need to master :D up the courage to sit down, might give it a spin over the weekend.

I must be the only one on this here forum to not have watched this yet! I really need to master :D up the courage to sit down, might give it a spin over the weekend.
Excellent viewing and listening.

Excellent viewing and listening.

Well I've done the deed and have to say rather enjoyed it. Plenty of atmosphere, very detailed and meticulous use of surrounds however felt a little underwhelmed during the canon exchanges, probably expected more impact.

Is it just the 4K version of Gravity that has the atmos sound track??

Thanks

Is it just the 4K version of Gravity that has the atmos sound track??

Thanks
I don't think they have released a 4k version yet

No, the Blu ray Special Edition also has it. :smashin:

Yep, it also contains the Silent Edition track (standard DD 5.1:() where they've removed the music, a bit strange at first but it's supposed to be more realistic.

The 4K version was rumored to be coming out but after much speculation I don't think anything came of it.

I've stuck the Atmos track into the 3D version (yes still love me some 3D! :D), looks and sounds superb.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom