Best surround settings?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jaspain, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jaspain

jaspain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone use something like a THX Optimizer and can post the best and correct settings for a 5:1 surround sound. I want to make sure I get everything as best as possible for the arrival of Sky HD.

Thanks

Jason

2. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Most people have set up their equipment using Digital Video Essentials (DVE) or Avia DVD discs. These are a bit more detailed than the THX optimiser (which is really just a quick test that makes sure you equipment is wired up to the correct terminals- that's all)

But I doubt people really use THX optimisers once they've setup their stuff using DVE or Avia.

You can only really adjust picture and sound settings for the DVD playback, as the DVD is the source material. And you ideally want Sky source setup material, but there is none!

So I use the same picture and sound settings after setting up my amp, speakers and display with DVE, with Sky also, and this is as close as I can get.

But its down to your personal preference, as you're the one watching it. If you want to do this get DVE because it's in PAL and not NTSC.

Also, check out this page on the Dolby site here which has info on speaker placement and room acoustics. :)

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html#placement