Best Surround Processor £4000?

J

john8105

Hi Guys

I am looking for a decent surround processor - I have a budget of £4000.

I really liked the look of the TAG AV32R DP - but how does that compare to the more recently produce kit?

I was thinking of the Lexicon MC-4, but that is now 2 years old - can it compare to the very latest processor that are on the market?

Does anyone know if the NAD M15 is worth considering?

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks

Go for an ex-dem Lexicon MC8. You could also consider a Lexicon RV8 if you want an all-in-one reference solution - depends what speakers you have.

Last Month's What Hi-Fi did a short review of the new Audiolab processor and separate power amp (which apparently are based upon the TaG kit but considerably cheaper). They gave them a thumbs up with the only proviso that the kit hasn't got all the latest bells and whistle's (e.g. HDMI upconversion) but that it does deliver where it counts in terms of sound.

Possibly a contender for you...

BLimey £4k on a proc........ whats the rest of the system? Active speakers? Video proc? etc

I have B&W Nautilas 804's front and rear, B&W HTM3 centre, all bi-amped using two TAG 100x5r amps. The video processor is a DVDO VP30/ABT102 - which I dont think is very good at all - perhaps its not set up correctly.:rolleyes:

As well as the Lexicon,you could take a look at the Meridians in your price range,and you may be able to stretch towards used Krell and Theta if you look around.

Just a thought,but you may want to look around at power amps as well,if you are looking to a comprehensive upgrade.

Alexs2 sorry for the off topic, but I notiice that you really don't like the 100x5R saying they couldn't drive your 805s, was that in a single or biamp configuration. I've never had a problem but am starting to wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere ampwise.....

I have B&W Nautilas 804's front and rear, B&W HTM3 centre, all bi-amped using two TAG 100x5r amps. The video processor is a DVDO VP30/ABT102 - which I dont think is very good at all - perhaps its not set up correctly.:rolleyes:

Kit at this level requires serious set up and many dealers dont have the know how to do this. What display? ANyway you dont need video upconversion as you have the DVDO processor. Have you had your current system calibrated? if not it may be worth while considering before dropping another £4k on hardware.

Kit at this level requires serious set up and many dealers dont have the know how to do this. What display? ANyway you dont need video upconversion as you have the DVDO processor. Have you had your current system calibrated? if not it may be worth while considering before dropping another £4k on hardware.

I have not had the system calibrated yet as I dont think it has been worth it as the front end of the system is very weak - the processor is a Yamaha A1 and the DVD player is an Oppo 970.

But, I agree with you - when I get the processor I will need to get someone to professionally calibrate it.

Does anyone know anything about the Arcam processors?

The Oppo may be the reason for unsatisfactory performance from the VP30. It's really a very nice SD processor IMO.

Arcam would be my bet though, I love the musicality of them while still retaining excellent move performance. For a dedicated cinema room the Lexicon would get it as it's that little more tight and deliberate about it's surround effects, but if you listen to any kind of music on this system then Arcam AV9 or Meridian would be where I would look.

Hi Guys

I am looking for a decent surround processor - I have a budget of £4000.

I really liked the look of the TAG AV32R DP - but how does that compare to the more recently produce kit?

I was thinking of the Lexicon MC-4, but that is now 2 years old - can it compare to the very latest processor that are on the market?

Does anyone know if the NAD M15 is worth considering?

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks

I would seriously look for something that that has room equalisation built in. I believe the Meridians will do this near to your price range. I am continually amazed at the effect (audyssey in my case) this has on the overall sound quality of the sytem.

I can't help but think that the new sound formats coming through with HD-DVD and BD are going to make all the existing processors defunct within the very near future.
Wouldn't it make sense to wait for processors that can handle the newer formats?
Of course you could be the power amp side of things upfront, that's unlikely to change in the near future.

I can't help but think that the new sound formats coming through with HD-DVD and BD are going to make all the existing processors defunct within the very near future.
Wouldn't it make sense to wait for processors that can handle the newer formats?
Of course you could be the power amp side of things upfront, that's unlikely to change in the near future.

I think that will be a long wait...I cannot think of one processor that can handle audio by HDMI 1.1 let alone 1.3. Most processors are already defunct in this regard.

I would seriously look for something that that has room equalisation built in. I believe the Meridians will do this near to your price range. I am continually amazed at the effect (audyssey in my case) this has on the overall sound quality of the sytem.

Room equalisation is something I would really like - the TAG AV32R DP did this from what I believe.

Do you know which meridian has this feature?

Does anyone know if the Lexicon or NAD has room equalisation?

Room equalisation is something I would really like - the TAG AV32R DP did this from what I believe.

Do you know which meridian has this feature?

Does anyone know if the Lexicon or NAD has room equalisation?

OK the Meridian G68 has this (the full flavour version), but is a dealer setup tool. The Lexicon MC-12 and MC-12HD have this but we are way over £10K at this point (could be done DIY though). The NAD unfortunately does not have this, which is a real shame as I would more than likely have bought it if did. You could always do what I have done and buy a Denon AVC-A11XVA and use it as a processor. I am very happy with the sound it gives with my 100X5rs but You would need to demo (a left field choice I know, but it does everything I want it to).

This is something that concerns me - I am going to spend all this money then find out I should of waited a few months for BD or HD-DVD.

If the HD DVD or Blu Ray player can decode the audio formats internally (HD-DVD can) and output mutlichannel LPCM via HDMI, then current products will accept DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD etc. If they can accept audio via HDMI 1.1

OK the Meridian G68 has this (the full flavour version), but is a dealer setup tool.

Sorry, but this is not correct. The MRC function on the Meridian G68 is not a dealer tool, it can be set up by a user. All you need is a sound meter. You'll find lots of advice from users on how to set it up on the meridian unplugged forum.

Personally, I would probably wait for the new sound formats to appear. i know that this will take some time, and that the players will be able to decode them and send them to a decent pre/pro, but how many of us are happy to let our existing DVD players do the decoding? I for one make the most p[ossible use of my pre/pro, sending a digital feed from DVD.
On the subject of sound quality, I am firmly in the music camp. Most pre/pros, and indeed many integrateds sound great with AV but poor with music, typically characterised by a bright splashy grating sound to my ears.
I found this with both Tag and Arcam.
For a warmer sound I preferred the American amps, the Bryston, Krell and Proceed I ended up purchasing. I also liked the Naim, and, to a lesser extent, the Meridian.
Just my opinion of course.

I am very please with my Parasound, does exactly what I want it to do and does it well! Matches well with my M&K speakers

Sorry, but this is not correct. The MRC function on the Meridian G68 is not a dealer tool, it can be set up by a user. All you need is a sound meter. You'll find lots of advice from users on how to set it up on the meridian unplugged forum.

Apologies, but when I enquired about the G68, this is what I was told. Seems like the dealer was trying to make some more money.

P.s. why would you need a sound meter for set up other than to double check the results?

Apologies, but when I enquired about the G68, this is what I was told. Seems like the dealer was trying to make some more money.

P.s. why would you need a sound meter for set up other than to double check the results?

Definitely sounds like the dealer was after your cash!! In truth it's not the easiest processor to set up, but it can definitely be done without a dealer.

You need the sound meter (IIRC, a radio shack one is recommended) simply because Meridian don't supply a mic with the G68. You actually don't use the meter itself, just the mic part of it.

OK the Meridian G68 has this (the full flavour version), but is a dealer setup tool. The Lexicon MC-12 and MC-12HD have this but we are way over £10K at this point (could be done DIY though). The NAD unfortunately does not have this, which is a real shame as I would more than likely have bought it if did. You could always do what I have done and buy a Denon AVC-A11XVA and use it as a processor. I am very happy with the sound it gives with my 100X5rs but You would need to demo (a left field choice I know, but it does everything I want it to).

Looking at the spec on the Meridian G68 - I think it could be what I am looking for - especially with it having the room eq function - so that goes to the top of my list.

Does anyone know anything about the new NAD m15?

Someone has recommended an Audyssey Sound Equalizer - does anyone know anything about this product?

Perhaps I should go with the NAD and an Audyssey?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom