Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best surround amp for under £150??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonorigin, May 26, 2004.

1. jonorigin

jonorigin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer vsx-d608 that has started buzzing incredibly loudly and sounds like it's about to die, so I was thinking of buying a new Surround amp. I have a budget of £150 and need 2 digital optical inputs and a couple of normal analogue ones. Can anyone recommend something in my price range?

Cheers

Jon

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    For £9 more you could get the Pioneer VSXC301 from Richer Sounds.

Bit of a bargain for that amp.

Or you could try for a Yamaha RXV440, I'm sure you will be able to find it for about £150.

I managed to pick up a Yamaha HTR5630 for use in the bedroom for a bargain £99, and it isn't too bad for the money. Mind you, that £99 was the price at Richer Sounds open box sale, so not sure if you will find it for the same price anywhere else (cheapest I've seen it for is £140).

With your budget, I'd go for the Pioneer I mentioned first though, that extra £9 buys you a cool sexy slimline design, AND superior sound when compared to other slimline budget amps.

3. jonorigin

jonorigin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! I did have that one in mind actually, but I haven't really looked into amps since I bought mine 4ish years ago so had no idea if it was any good or not!!

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    You should be able to pick up a Marantz SR4200 for well under your budget. A fantastic AV amp that also does stereo very well and has the inputs you need. Spend the change on decent cable.

5. jonorigin

jonorigin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I've looked on the net but can't seem to find the marantz anywhere. Any ideas?

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Place an wanted ad in the 'Av hardware classified' section. There was a mint condition unit for sale only a few weeks ago. :thumbsup:

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    For movie performance the Pioneer should be a match for the Marantz SR4200.

You could get a brand new SR4400 for £199, maybe 2nd hand for £150 if you look in the classifieds.

I used to have an SR4300, was a lovely amp for the money, very musical for a budget av amp.

8. jonorigin

jonorigin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys!!! Think i'm gonna try and get me a slice of the pioneer based action!!

cheers

jon