1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best summer of films? best year for films?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by pragmatic, Sep 6, 2005.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Although I'm only fairly young at 23 I think this summer has been the best for films, atleast in my cinema going lifetime.

We have had:
    Batman begins
    Star Wars ep 3
    Sin City
    War of the Worlds

I was wondering what was the best year for films in your experience, I don't think quanity matters more quality.

2. Corkonian

Corkonian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rarely go to the cinema but I can say it's the first time in years that I'm not looking forward to any of the Oct/Nov/Dec big releases.
    Kingdom of Heaven being the only exception :smashin:

3. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree in that the "Blockbusters" in Summer 2005 have been a cut above recent years. All those you listed I have seen at the Cinema and enjoyed. There has been a couple of smaller films I've seen over the summer like The Descent and Crash which are also excellent.

Saying that the bar was set so low last year that even if I'd only seen Fantastic 4 and The Dukes of Hazzard, it would have been an improvement!

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    And we've still got King Kong to come! :clap:

Highlights of the year for me so far have both been foreign: Kung Fu Hustle and Downfall.

5. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I decided to look at the at IMDB at there top 250 movies by user votes and break them down by year. Of course this year not going to be so good at the moment, but only Sin City, Cinderella Man and Batman Begins appears so far. Also this is all movies not just summer blockbusters.

2004 Ethernal Sunshine, Hotel Rwanda, Crash, Downfall, Million Dollar Baby, Incredibles, Kill Bill V2, Before Sunset, Finding Neverland, Sideways, Garden State, Taegukgi, Spiderman 2, Motorcycle Diaries, Sea Inside, Ray

2003 LOTR:ROTk, Kill Bill V1, Oldboy, Finding Nemo, Big Fish, Mystic River, Lost in Translation, Pirates of the Caribbean, Station Agent, 21 Grams, Spring sumer fall winter, Dogville

1999. American Beauty, Matrix, Fight Club, Sixth Sense, Green Mile, Toy Story, Magnolia, Insider, Being John Malkovich.

2000 Memento, Requiem for a Dream, Crouching Tiger, Love's a Bitch, Gladiator, Almost Famous, Snatch

2001 LOTR:FOTR, Amelia, Spirited Away, Donnie DArko, Shrek, Monster Inc, Mulholland Dr.

2002 LOTR:TT, Pianist, In America, City of God, Hero, Talk to Her

1995 Usual Suspects, Seven, Braveheart, Twelve Monkeys, Toy Story, Heat

1994 Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Leon, Forrest Gump, Ed Wood, 3 Colours Red

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:

1994 & 1995 both look very good years. It has taken 10 years (ie 2005) for a repeat. :eek:

:D

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,549
    It would seem the general public disagree, as its been the quietest summer since 1997 for box-office takings.

8. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry I was mainly refering to the big budget blockbuster which, when talking Summer films, is usually what springs to my mind. Last year was dismal for this sort of output with Spider-man 2 being the notable exception (IMO!)

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Hollywood them selfs have recently come out and said that one of the reasons that cinema takings are down is that people have lost faith in the films and don't want to spend so much on a film per person when they could rent it or buy it a few months later.

Its true that a lot of much hyped films over the last couple of years have been terible and this really has knocked peoples confidence.

Also downloading would have made them loose quite a bit, but i doubt its a direct thing. I.e i doubt people who heavely download films would go to see that many at the cinema, rather they would see it and tell there cinema going mates not to bother.

Anyway thats a bit of topic, but there has been a few other years as listed that had some amazing realeses but this year has been more adult oirented too, which makes a good chance (although i do like shreak and the incredables as much as anyone :) just not ice age and the other crappy cgi i.e garfield)

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198

Gone With the Wind
    The Wizard of Oz
    Stagecoach
    Mr Smith Goes to Washington
    Goodbye Mr Chips
    Wuthering Heights

Citizen Kane
    All That Money Can Buy (aka The Devil and Daniel Webster)
    The Maltese Falcon
    How Green Was My Valley
    Here Comes Mr. Jordan
    The Little Foxes

A classic or two in those years! :smashin:

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Certainly not the best summer imo.

The only memorable film for me this year is Batman Begins, although Ep III was enjoyable too!

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Like i say all 4 films i recon are classics and any individual one would be a blockbuster if they were realeased as the big films of the year (as they would deserve). But alot of people didn't like Sin City or War of the Worlds, supprised me but that individual taste for you.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There has been a lot of stuff out this year that I have not been so keen as to go to the cinema to see them , But I will probably give them a go on rental DVD :) It does seem to have been a bit lackluster to me. With quite a few disapointments.

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i think most years are a disappointment. yes there are still good films being made but the amount of dross is really depressing. remakes, reimaginings, TV Shows etc etc :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

the hollywood machine seems to have run out of ideas - there seems to be very little that is original - 2 of the films i've most liked this year (which are from last year) have been small films - Napoleon Dynamite and the peerless Sideways ("are you chewing gum?" )

i loved Batman Begins - but its still a safe bet for Warners it still got an inbuilt audience and a marketing track record so not exactly risky.

it would seem that the studios dont want to gamble on product they might not get a return on - so play it safe - time after time after time. :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

the studios are always moaning about Piracy but the biggest problem is not the illegal immigrant selling "War of the Worlds" in the pub on dodgy DVD - its the fact that people are bored and not inspired by "War of The Worlds" enough to shell out 7 quid a ticket. so it becomes a vicious cycle - the studios wont go and take a risk and the public dont want to see the formulaic pap that the studios turn out year after year. Added to which why do i want to go to the cinema when i've spent the Angolan national debt on a HC?

just my Kent Brockman two cents of course.

Gary

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Gary :hiya:

I noticed you didnt mention Stealth :confused:

I would personally pay more money to see it at home. For example.

DVD release price is £15, I would pay £25 to see the movie on DVD when it is released in the cinemas so I dont have to wait to buy it on dvd release day. How many people would do that with titles like Star Wars and Batman.

Either that or pay Sky a fee like their Pay movies service.

Going to the cinema is ok, but I prefer to watch it in the comfort of my own home, with no one else around to distract me. Plus you can alway pause for a pee break or munchies.

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Going to the cinema has always been a more social thing for me, yea watching the film on the big screen may be fun but pre-show banter followed by the post-show analysis is were the fun has always been for me.

Hollywood is in a pretty sad state now, but all mediums seem to go through a similar jolt of this is popular thats put out lots of it.

Gladiator brought about epics, then x-men/spiderman brought out the glut of superhero films like you've never seen before.

Its the same with music, tv and even books to some extent. If one film is shown to be a success then the studio follows its lead, which is sickening as all origionality and creativity is lost.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I wouldn’t pay £25, I just think that’s too expensive and also my home system isn’t that good! I’d rather just go to the pictures!

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:

Fair do's Tejstar. The way I look at it is I will pay £12-£14 to see it in the cineam with the missus. I will then pay another £15 to buy the dvd when it is released. I wouldnt buy all dvd's this way but I would love to buy the big blockbusters. The essential purchases.

Many a time I have come away from the flicks wanting to see the same movie again, but have to wait for it to be released in 4+ months time.

BTW have you watched session one of 24 yet? :confused:

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Not yet...

[​IMG]

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Shame on you [​IMG]

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    hes not going to watch it anyway - hes just winding us up.:D

Gary

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I will do, it’s just that I take a long time about things. I’m only on episode 9 on Lost despite having the whole series for over a month now! :blush: