1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Suited Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hoggers, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all :hiya:

Fishing for a bit of advice here in regards to subs.

My setup currently consists of an Arcam AVR300 / P90 with Kef iQ7's (front) iQ6C and iQ1's (rears) and I am more than satisfied with the sound for music but for movies I was wanting to add a bit of extra ompf and am now looking at adding a sub to the setup.

With this in mind I was wondering if any one had any suggestions / thoughts as to what may (or may not) be best suited to the above system.

Budget is in the region of £600.00 and I also need to factor in a reasonably size concious girlfriend (ie: it is going to be how big !!!) ;)

Thanks in advance.

Alastair

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd recommend looking at the offerings from B&W and Velodyne to start with, along with the second hand market. :)

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't think you're going to get much of a girlfriend for £600 (even a secondhand one at the market) as well as a subwoofer.

I think I'd be getting a decent subwoofer first and then looking for a big girlfriend later.

Hope this helps? :)

Nimby

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Alastair
    Have a demo of the b&w asw675 sounds and looks great one of the best small subs you can buy for around £600 squid i have owned this sub so have some idea of its performance.
    PS dont bother with the rel q150(also owned this sub) or 200e has they wont touch the 675 on performance when set up properley..

5. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    hi Gonzo,
    Do you know how ASW675 compares to Velodyne CHTr's and SPL's. I used to own 675 and yeah it is great sub but wanted to try little better then 675.
    Sorry for being little off the topic.
    cheers.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Havnt heard the velos so cant really comment have heard the b&w asw750 though and that would be a significant upgrade from its smaller brother.If you look around you can pick up a exdemo 750 for around £800 www.moorgate.demon.co.uk have one in cherry for £799 if your intrested.
    Hope this helps. :)
    ps click on special offers.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,738
    The ASW750 is superb:) ...but it is above your budget. Also consider SVS if you're not bothered about aesthetics, there's also the BK Monolith to consider which is below your budget but meant to be very good (Kazman is a good person to ask on this). You also couldn't really go wrong with a 2nd hand Servo 15...

8. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys...

Thanks for the info. From the looks and various reviews of it the B&W675 is a cracking unit and definitely worthy of a listen. :smashin:

The price comes in pretty much on the nose and it certianly seems to meet the right criteria.

I also looked up info / reviews on the SVS range but I feel that the sheer size of it is going to be a bit of a no-no. The B&W appears to be slightly better suited to room size etc, while still doing all that I want it to do.

Now just need to weekend to role round again to organise a demo :)

Cheers.

Alastair

9. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Mordaunt Short 309 ? Way below ya budget but a great sub.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I heard a B&W 675 demonstrated in a large showroom. A very powerful beast to say the least! The huge shop windows were vibrating like a movie special effect!

Only the lack of high level connections means I don't have one today instead of an SVS. (the latter did have high-level connections for my stereo music system)

It would be difficult to be disappointed with an ASW 675 if you need small, attractive AV furniture.

But do beware of the driver cone's vulnerability if you have kids. It wasn't long before the dust cover dome on the demo model at the dealers was caved in.

Nimby

11. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nimby...

Does the lack of high level inputs mean that I will be limited to enjoying the sub for movies only? or will I be able to use it for music as well via the various digital effects for CD's (eg dtsMusic) from the avr300?

It is not a huge concern as I normally listen to CD's via the direct output but it would be nice to have the option for both should the need (or want) arise.

Cheers,

Alastair

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi Alastair

Unfortunately by stereo amp simply didn't have an LFE, Subwoofer, Sub out, or even a Pre-out phono socket to connect a B&W ASW675 to my stereo system. So in my case I had no choice but to find a subwoofer with high level connections.

I am more of a music fan than a film watcher. Though I still enjoy at least two fims every weekend. For serious music listening a high quality stereo amp is still better than an AV receiver.

For films I use an old Yamaha DSP E800 processer to add rear surround channels for film watching. But I don't use it for music because it spoils the sound quality slightly in my opinion. The processor has a Sub socket so I could use this to drive my sub for films now. But since I have my sub connected permanently by high level connections there is really no need.

Regards
    Nimby

13. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again...

Given the choice which of the two below would be the better option:
    1. ASW675
    2 SVS PB10

The way everyone is raving about the SVS subs the PB10 does seem to be the better sub and the cost certainly seems a bit more attractive.

Any thoughts?

:)

14. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have used both subs, I have bought ASW675 no less then 3 times and I will buy it again. SVS PB10 is the entry level sub from SVS and it sounds great too but my vote goes to 675 it is small compact and better sounding sub then SVS pb10 which is huge and doesn't sound as big as its size IMHO.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have heard the B&W ASW675 and it performs admirably for such a compact size but it plays nowhere near as deep or as cleanly as the PB-10 which is a far, far better performer.

16. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the input and thoughts so far. :thumbsup:

I have yet another question this time in relation to speaker placement. Is it better , any improvment etc to either forward firing or donwward firing speakers?

What (if any) are the benefits / drawbacks of either. The sub is going to be placed on carpet so would a downward firing speaker have less of an impact as opposed to a forward firing?

And what are peoples view on the REL Stampede (this has been suggested by a retailer as a strong contender to either of the above).

As always, thanks for the thoughts.

Alastair :)

17. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Ian,
    Hearing one is different from owning one. I have owned both and heard both as well and IMO SVS PB10 is not as good as ASW675. It is probably somthing to do with room acoustics so I would suggest try 675 in same room where you are using your PB10.

18. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, so interesting because I just finished a sub comparison of my SVS PB10 vs. B&W ASW675 over the past weekend when a B&W dealer let me take a 675 home.

[image] http://www.thewolfweb.com/photos/00436395.jpg [/image] Click on the link if the photo doesn't come up.

First of all, the PB10 is a $430 USD subwoofer. Not exactly breaking the bank and about less than half the price of an ASW675 (bought in US). I have used the PB10 for my 45 day guarantee period, and it is going back to SVS this Wednesday.

Subjective Sound comparison: The B&W is A LOT more musical and a lot tighter than the sound of the PB10. The PB10 also runs out of gas compared to the B&W and PB10 needs to be turned up past 60% to get decent bass, and both subs were calibrated with an SPL meter. I could only keep the gain on the B&W at around 20-30% without destroying my house. The clearest way to hear differences between the PB10 and ASW675 is to play some R&B, rap or a track that has really clear bass notes that change from high to low with a rythmic drum beat. The ported design of the PB10 just doesn't cut it in terms of delivering the sound I like at the lower frequencies. It tries to push them out, but you can't hear them and plus the ASW675 is less "boomy". Also keep in mind that my living room is not that big, so a sealed design was my natural choice, but I could see the ASW675 compressing a fairly larger room due to it's 500 watt RMS amp.

I don't mean to bash the SVS...who knows, my PB10 may have been defective??? but the ASW675 is clearly the winner in my opinion, due to it's faster response, and ability to play music more accurately. So the lesson I learned was don't trust FR charts, and other responses to make a decision on a purchase. Perhaps a $1k SVS will topple the ASW675, but that test will happen the day I don't have to pay $80+ USD in shipping to get these subs in my door, and when I get a metal plate in my spine and hip to move these subs around.

I just bought a ASW675 in the store for $900 USD (retail for $1k) and they threw in a cable. Hopefully I will get it by this Friday. I hope my perspective helps answers any questions. The PB10 is not going to perform miracles, but is a damn good sub for the price range of $400 USD.

19. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Addiwei
    I owned my asw675 for around 6 months then changed to the svs 20-39 pc+ all i can say is this sub will outperform the asw675 and the ultra is even better,The time i owned this little sub i never was dissatisfied with its performance and still recommend it to anyone wanting a top performing compact sub not ever having heard a pb10 i cant really comment on that subs performance only the pc subs which i rate very highly.

20. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it looks to be a mean beast, but for me size is also a consideration. I'm never against further comparisons and in this hobby, there is a Chinese proverb that goes something like.. one mountain greater than another mountain. The day, I find a close neighbor that has one, or want to buy one to test it out, I'd love to do it.

21. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    At the risk of sounding like a "Me-Too" I auditioned the ASW675 before placing my order for a PCi. The B&W, though very powerful for its size, sounded too warm to be natural on music and lacked the effortless performance of the big SVS. (when it arrived)

But I can well imagine somebody choosing the B&W over an SVS. The B&W is a different animal from the PB10 (if the latter has the same traits as the bigger models) The SVS probably goes deeper with lower distortion. The B&W plays up the harmonics which makes it sound powerful on bass guitar and probably on techno electronic bass. Making the deep stuff much more audible. Though not particularly accurate in my opinion.

The SVS models are more difficult to audition unless you find a private owner within easy reach or can visit the new distributors. But the little B&W is readily available and ought be listened to and preferably borrowed for a real demo in your own room before thinking about placing an order for an SVS. If you don't like the obvious warmth the B&W adds to music and LF Effects then an SVS might be a better sub for you. If not, just buy the B&W and enjoy it. It's a damn good small sub!

Buying a sub always comes down to personal taste. It is you, who is spending your own money. Nobody can tell you what to buy. They can only advise based on their own experiences and preferences. And finally and most-importantly, I have never heard a PB10 in your room.

And even more finally: ;) I can't agree with addiwei's pronouncements on reflex boxes being slow. Input sensitivity is another thing altogether and irrelevant to his argument. Harmonic distortion will make a sub sound louder because it is putting out noise at clearly audible frequencies. History records that accurate, low-distortion subs don't sound as loud at first because they are playing the real notes at very low (almost inaudible) frequencies. Not making something up as they go along. :devil:

Nimby

22. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have to blame it on my room then and not the PB10. I have experience with 2 or 3 kinds of ported subs, and both yielded similar subjective results. The number of sealed subwoofers I have encountered didn't have the same "problem". Maybe I shouldn't use the term "faster" or "slower", but the sound is DIFFERENT nonetheless and I don't believe that is arguable. Also, low distortion is important when turning up the gain on the sub, and the B&W did have some distortion when turned past 50-60%, but this will not be an issue for me as the room is small, and the bass at lower settings is more than plentiful. I tried turning the gain on the PB10 to max, and distortion was less if any at all but it did get very "boomy", as expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.