Question Best subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Acoop79, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Acoop79

Acoop79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone been a long time lurker and havnt posted much if at all. Apologies that the below has been repeated a few times but would really appreciate a fresh opinion from anyone willling to help.
    So I’ve recently moved House which is now detached and have a bigger space which I was able to fill with some goodies....wife approval of course.
    I’ve a 55” Samsung js8500 tv, Yamaha Rxa1700 aventage receiver, monitor audio bronze 5 floor and centre speakers with q acoustics 7000i rear speakers and two Cambridge audio c46 ceiling speakers.
    My room is about 2000 cubic feet leading into a room of 1200 cubic feet with wooden floors throughout.....which brings me to my query, best subwoofer I’m currently using my q acoustic 7070si which isn’t cutting it I’m afraid....I’ve only really one place I can put it due to the better half’s direction....space/budget wise I’ve narrowed down to these subwoofers.

PSA s1500
    SVS sb2000
    XTZ 12.17

I’ve mostly swung towards the XTZ due to overall reviews and price but would push the boat out for the PSA if I thought it would have the extra performance for the diff in price.
    Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.
    P.s can’t fit duels well could but cant lol.

Thanks,
    Andy.

2. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Hi Andy,

Your room seem to quite a large one. I’d go for a dual XTZ 12.17 for that. But if you have space for only one sub as you say( I hope that is a decent place for the output and frequency response) i’d Be tempted to get a PSA 1500. It’s a beast of a sub and good value. Also if cost is a concern have a look at PB2000 as well. Much more output and similar in price to SB2000 which will get lost in that space

Sanjay

3. Acoop79

Acoop79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sanjay,

I would love to go duels but can’t without moving furniture which isn’t an option.
    So I take it the psa is a significant step up from the xtz for the money?
    Your correct also in saying that it’s the only place I can have the subwoofer, my current one is in that location basically just to the left of the left front speaker and it does give out a adequate output considering it’s size and power my question would be when using a spl meter what are you looking for as I’ve never used one before just my ears. I’ve done the crawl test but only from where it sits now and to my ears gives off the best response from my seat which it be honest is the only one that matters as the other half would complain it’s to loud regardless lol.

Cheers.

4. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The SB2000 is the oddball there. It's a sealed sub, you should be looking at the PB2000 as Sanjay said. I would also look at the BK Monolith or Monolith+ or the new P12-300SB-PR if the Monolith is too big

5. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Hi Andy , Funny enough I have owned at various points all the 3 subs shortlisted by you. I have moved now from PSA 1500 to dual XTZ12.17 now mainly due to my new house dictated the need to go dual as I could not find a suitable place for a single sub to give a decent frequency response. If your current sub position gives you good response, i.e. sounds nice ( though you can always check how it behaves with different frequency range by playing various you tube clips of bass test tones and using a crude iPhone SPL app , or more scientifically by a calibrated SPL meter, to confirm what you hear is true.
    To answer your question, yes The Single PSA 1500 will definitely give you a lot more output and digs much deeper than a single XTZ12.17. In subwoofer terms once you've reached decent quality ( I mean £400 and above decent brands like BK, XTZ, SVS,Arendal, PSA) you will have to spend much more to get noticeable improvements. i.e. Spending double the money from a £500 bk/xtz/SVS sub will not get you double the performance.
    The PSA 1500 is quite unique in the sense it is a 15 inch sealed driver in a relatively compact cabinet. Just a tad bit more size wise than XTZ 12.17 and almost similar to size to the BK 400. The ported SVS PB2000 i somewhere in-between the XTZ and PSA1500 costwise and much larger in size compared to PSA given its ported design but will have much more out put fro movies compared to XTZ 12.17, SB2000 and I think similar output to PSA 1500 with slight edge over it between 17-30 hz due to its ported nature.

6. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Take the svs off the list. If you want similar performance from svs(to the s1500/s1510) the sb4000 is the choice.

The 12.17...is that basically 1/3rd of the of the big 12.3 sub, right? I know I should know this...but I can't remember for sure and I'm just too tired to look for the info tonight(11pm here)..:)

Anyway, if it is 1/3rd, just subtract about 9.5dB from the 12.3 dataset.

Data-Bass

So it's very close in output capabilities to the s1500/s1510 from 15-40hz...a dB or so more maybe(for the xtz). 40-45hz and up the s1500/s1510 will have about 50% more headroom(3dB or so).

The sealed s1500/s1510 might offer some pressurization down to 7-10hz. But overall I bet the two would sound fairly close. So if there's a substantial price savings one way or the other that could be the deciding factor.

Tom V.

7. Acoop79

Acoop79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies folks, been on bk’s website and the only one I would consider would be the monolith plus but it’s just too big for where it would need to be placed.
    I really think it’s between the psa and the xtz....what is swinging me towards the latter is the tuning possibilities with it and of course I would be spending half the money but....would I regret it later on thinking I should have gone ahead and got the Psa.
    Tbh I don’t exactly listen at ref levels maybe -25 mostly.
    Thanks Tom for honest none biased info as always.
    Sanjay was reading your thread ref the xtz and there is a lot of talk of them getting upgraded sledge amps? I emailed jag about this but got no reply....nor does their website reflect this yet. Does anyone know if and when this is happening.....would it be worth holding of if the case.

Thanks,
    Andy.

8. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    12.3? :D 1x12..

Googled your old post comparison.

Let's use the 1m data.

That puts it (XTZ 1x12 Cinema)

16-25hz ~ 106.9dB
    31-50hz ~ 118.8dB
    63-100hz ~118.6dB

16-100hz ~116.2dB

Single S1500 clocks in at

16-25hz ~ 109.9dB
    31-50hz ~ 122.1dB
    63-100hz ~126.7dB

16-100hz ~ 121.9dB

12.17 (500w rms version) is ~ 2db behind the 1x12 model at 20-40hz. 50-100hz 12.17 has slight edge (1-5db, 63hz - 118db!). Compared with CEA2010 2M RMS figures (available from XTZ for 12.17).

With the new ICEPower amp (700w rms) 12.17 Edge probably eeks 1-1,5db more @ 20-40hz and gain little higher aswell. Meaningless in real life for most people.. But having ICEPower amp (which you are using aswell), plus 5year warranty with better tuning options the 12.17 Edge is getting more intresting than 1x12 Cinema.

But the S1500 (S1510) is kinda wolf in sheeps clothes, very impressive and no wonder why it`s so popular in many countries. :)

9. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Hi Andy, can you direct me to the thread about xtz changing amps? Thanks.

Tom V.

10. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    XTZ have brought an upgraded version of 12.17 , the 12.17 edge. i think they have upgraded their amp with more warranty and it has parametric eq as well. Last few posts from forum members who ordered the 12.17 got email form XTZ that it was upgraded fro no extra cost. Best contact Jag. Jag's main occupation is completely different to selling speakers/ Subs. So he may take some time to reply , if your query is urgent you can contact him on his phone ( likely contact no is on his other site i.e. epic home cinema. I doubt he makes any money at all selling XTZ speakers yet he does it still for his enthusiasm/ hobby.

11. Acoop79

Acoop79
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer thread

As above Tom, from page 8 I think some folks already have them.
    Wow Sanjay didn’t know that was just his hobby unreal...what a hobby to have tho.
    700 rms from what I’ve read with some more head room, altho not sure on price.

12. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Interesting. Just to be sure I'm following along correctly.

The original 12.17 uses the 500w claridy amplifier platform(also found on KK subs and I believe the monoprice thx subs and maybe the new outlaw subs?). But the new "edge" version uses an ICE amplifier module?

I wonder why they did that? The ICE is very good, one of the very best quality products I've ever worked with. But it's also much more expensive (on a watt/dollar ratio) than most of what comes out of china too.

Anyone know if they're using the AS1700 ice module?

Tom V.

13. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    There has been some amp failing problems, more in the earlier stages. Then they have switched some components with the later stages, total of 3 i think. Should be good now. When they found this out, they started laying the foundation for the new Edge amp at January 2017. The Edge amp can be fitted to 10.16 & 12.16 (much older models) and naturally for 17 serie subwoofers (10.17 & 12.17) who wants this new amp with Parametric EQ. Old customers of XTZ can buy the amp with special price.

Olle at Swedish forum;

We apologize again to anyone who has encountered this problem!

In the first production batch we have had the trouble that some have a problem / error which unfortunately posed problems for us and your customers. Since the error occurred after several weeks or several months, it has been very difficult to detect the defect in production. The factory always tests the products. Some for a few hours and some long-term test. And there we have not discovered the error and, unfortunately, unfortunately, some have been put on the market. Moreover, the fact that the error has occurred after such a long time has made it very difficult and discover what is the cause of the error. So we have encountered the worst kind of error, unfortunately.
    The solution was that we designed the part that has caused problems and so far this design has proved stable.
    For those with problems, we do our utmost to help as quickly as possible. And you have 3 years of right of complaint about something happening.

These subwoofers are one of our most important products, so we have the highest priority on this issue.

For those who are in trouble, contact us and we'll solve it!

Thank you for your understanding !
    Best regards Olle
    CEO XTZ

[​IMG]

14. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Interesting. Thanks for that info.