Answered Best Subwoofer Under £1000

Diagnosticz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently started thread on the best floor standing speakers under £3000 eventually went for PMC TWENTY5 23.

I am now looking for the best sub under £1000 more between £700-£1000 has to be compact due to space max 40cm width so most likely sealed. I have a few on my mind SVS SB2000, Sunfire HRS10. Minimum 500 watt amplifier I know its difficult to recommend a sub as it depends on the room and placement etc i will be using it purely for movies.

What do you guys own and what would be my best option

I would look at the XTZ 12.17 can be run sealed or ported and has a 500w amp and sells for £600.

XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer

Timely thread, though I’m looking with a 40cm height restriction rather than width unfortunately. That kicks out quite a few of the candidates in the price range.

Timely thread, though I’m looking with a 40cm height restriction rather than width unfortunately. That kicks out quite a few of the candidates in the price range.
Rules the XTZ out then why the height restriction Your not placing a sub in a cabinet are you

For moves and music Arendal sub1.
Another one I can consider I know of it was hoping to buy a sub within a week looks like I will have to get home trials of subs mentioned it's a difficult choice.

Anyone have a PSA 1500 range little over budget though

Anyone have a PSA 1500 range little over budget though

I had the PSA 1500 before my current dual XTZ 12.17.
The PSA is a beast and certainly digs deep for movies. But in my new room with difficult room related issues the dual 12.17 are amazing. Tight and punchy bass with lots of tuning options and the current price is a bargain. Much better than the SB2000 which is around £250 more
If you have room I would certainly advice you to go dual XTZ 12.17. Still would be just over a £1000 and the bass attack you will feel whether for movies or music will be awesome

Sanjay

I had the PSA 1500 before my current dual XTZ 12.17.
The PSA is a beast and certainly digs deep for movies. But in my new room with difficult room related issues the dual 12.17 are amazing. Tight and punchy bass with lots of tuning options and the current price is a bargain. Much better than the SB2000 which is around £250 more
If you have room I would certainly advice you to go dual XTZ 12.17. Still would be just over a £1000 and the bass attack you will feel whether for movies or music will be awesome

Sanjay

My first choice was the SB2000. But I am really beginning to like what the XTZ offers. I see they are at reduced price and with the Gloss black at no extra cost it makes sense. And I can House two of them. Just had a look at the smaller model on the website 10.17 it also uses a 500 watt amp. Wondering if its the same amp on the 12.17 I would have thought it would have a slightly more power. Did You start with a single first? if so how did it perform power wise played loud

It will be the same amp in the 10.17 and the 12.17, it will just have different dsp applied.

For the money, the only thing to consider is dual bk400. Some say the xtz digs deeper, but through experience rather than quoting figures the bk actually has the better driver perse.

Either options are very very good.

It will be the same amp in the 10.17 and the 12.17, it will just have different dsp applied.

For the money, the only thing to consider is dual bk400. Some say the xtz digs deeper, but through experience rather than quoting figures the bk actually has the better driver perse.

Either options are very very good.
BK are big boxes difficult to House in my room

The XTZ 12.17 and 10.17 are in a different league to the BK sub mentioned when it comes to placement flexibility and response. in terms of flexibility that's the same benefit offered by the entire XTZ range including the new Spirit Sub 12. The Spirit 12 plays to 400w and has plenty of tuning options, much like the XTZ 12.17.

The 10.17 is noticeably smaller than the 12.17 in room.

IMG_5526.JPG

My first choice was the SB2000. But I am really beginning to like what the XTZ offers. I see they are at reduced price and with the Gloss black at no extra cost it makes sense. And I can House two of them. Just had a look at the smaller model on the website 10.17 it also uses a 500 watt amp. Wondering if its the same amp on the 12.17 I would have thought it would have a slightly more power. Did You start with a single first? if so how did it perform power wise played loud

The 10.17’s are definitely smaller than 12.17’s but I have not heard them personally so can’t really comment. You may want to pay a visit to Jag for an audition if you are undecided.
The 12.17 I believe almost same size as the BK 400 ( I think a touch taller but definitely a bit narrower and same weight)
I went dual seeingthe price on these things a how difficult my room was. It was a revelation running duals. Running as single (tried this for experiment) accommodating the limitations of my current room with certain nulls a single 12.17 was quite good as well without any strain. I would say to anyone looking for a sub under £1000 to consider 12.17 But once you have gone dual there is noway turning back:hiya:

The 10.17’s are definitely smaller than 12.17’s but I have not heard them personally so can’t really comment. You may want to pay a visit to Jag for an audition if you are undecided.
The 12.17 I believe almost same size as the BK 400 ( I think a touch taller but definitely a bit narrower and same weight)
I went dual seeingthe price on these things a how difficult my room was. It was a revelation running duals. Running as single (tried this for experiment) accommodating the limitations of my current room with certain nulls a single 12.17 was quite good as well without any strain. I would say to anyone looking for a sub under £1000 to consider 12.17 But once you have gone dual there is noway turning back:hiya:
Like you I have the same problems with nulls etc so the the XTZ tuning options appealed to me . I spoke with Jag who was very helpful so I ordered the 12.17 it was delivered today. Just single one for now and see how that goes then can add second later.

Will get it setup in couple days

Like you I have the same problems with nulls etc so the the XTZ tuning options appealed to me . I spoke with Jag who was very helpful so I ordered the 12.17 it was delivered today. Just single one for now and see how that goes then can add second later.

Will get it setup in couple days

Congrats Diagnosticz, take your time to set it up. Haven’t listened much last few days. Christmas decorations taking priority.
If you are really happy with one sub after setup then you may not need the other. For me , in my room it is like night and day when I switch off one sub and listen.

Congrats Diagnosticz, take your time to set it up. Haven’t listened much last few days. Christmas decorations taking priority.
If you are really happy with one sub after setup then you may not need the other. For me , in my room it is like night and day when I switch off one sub and listen.
Thanks I will get it setup today I don't have much options for placement in my smallish room 4.5m by 4m being it's a big sub so will place in my usual spot one corner outside position next to left main. Wondering if I should place on a granite plinth or directly on the carpet minus spikes first then try spikes not sure what is recommend regarding this.

I Will most likely run Audssey with both bungs in and then experiment with eq settings and port options. Interested to hear the difference these options provide.

Thanks I will get it setup today I don't have much options for placement in my smallish room 4.5m by 4m being it's a big sub so will place in my usual spot one corner outside position next to left main. Wondering if I should place on a granite plinth or directly on the carpet minus spikes first then try spikes not sure what is recommend regarding this.

I Will most likely run Audssey with both bungs in and then experiment with eq settings and port options. Interested to hear the difference these options provide.

If you run it sealed with Audussey and then turn it to ported i think that`s the wrong way to do it. :confused:
It performs quite differently in sealed mode. From the XTZ graphs, i would rather start with; REF (eq) and left port open/right port closed.

Use the granite plinth if you have one already. There is lot of positive stuff about it (on carpet) if you google some.

Corner placement is highly recommended (example by SVS, Arendal Russell etc) especially as you have Audussey MultEQ XT32 which has great sub eq.

EQ REF
Gives an extended frequency response for the deepest bass, however care should be taken to ensure the lower frequencies are not over represented and “muddy”, depending on the room geometrics, placement of the sub and listening position (reverberation).

EQ 1
Is a direct countermeasure to the “muddy” bass problem of over represented low bass/room gain. By lowering the bass extension, the bass will be more controlled.

EQ 2
Stores more energy a bit higher in the frequency, resulting in a punchier, fast bass.

Port Tuning - High frequency
With no plugs in the ports the subwoofer will provide a “quick” and “punchy” bass character. It will produce increased output higher up in the frequency range.

Port Tuning -Mid frequency
If the left port is blocked and the right port is open, this will provide bass with an increased output in the mid-region.

Port Tuning - Low frequency
If the right port is blocked and the left port is open, this will provide deep bass with increased output in the lower frequencies.

Port Closed
With both ports blocked the sealed box will provide a dry and controlled bass character.

I recently started thread on the best floor standing speakers under £3000 eventually went for PMC TWENTY5 23.

I am now looking for the best sub under £1000 more between £700-£1000 has to be compact due to space max 40cm width so most likely sealed. I have a few on my mind SVS SB2000, Sunfire HRS10. Minimum 500 watt amplifier I know its difficult to recommend a sub as it depends on the room and placement etc i will be using it purely for movies.

What do you guys own and what would be my best option

What about a SH SVS13SB Ultra?
They appear occasionally on fleebay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom