Best Subs to Compliment Wisdom Speakers

markjames81

Novice Member
Hi guys

I’ve recently done a post on speakers for my upcoming cinema room asking for thoughts based on people experience of what they sound like.

I’m looking to run a 7.2.4 arrangement and my room is 5.5 long x 3.8 wide x 2.3 high and will be extensively sound proofed and acoustically treated with a full insulated fabric wrap system.

I’m currently leaning towards Wisdoms Insight series P4i and P2i in wall speakers. I’ve had the opportunity to listen to these in a dedicated, very well acoustically treated environment , as my room will be and whilst It is likely the LCR’s will only reach an SPL of somewhere 100db (86db sensitivity) at my listening position, these speakers sounded so detailed to my ears it was magic. There clarity and speed where amazing. I am also due to listen to Sonance reference and MK IW300 / 150’s

as you can tell, my preference is for speed and clarity over listening at high SPL reference levels (105db) and I’m looking for subs to compliment this preference. Something that will keep up with the wisdoms.

for the subs I have a budget of £5k whether that be one or two. However I’m leaning towards two at the front to balance the room out, so £2500 per sub i guess.

again I’m looking for peoples opinions as I am fairly new to the AV game.

Thanks in advance

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Arendal 2s should be on your list. They have incredibly fast transients.

Try and get a listen at Karma AV, they’ve got a JBL synthesis setup, everything you’ve said about the wisdoms you’ll definitely get with the JBL’s but with a much higher SPL output.

markjames81

Novice Member
Arendal 2s should be on your list. They have incredibly fast transients.

Try and get a listen at Karma AV, they’ve got a JBL synthesis setup, everything you’ve said about the wisdoms you’ll definitely get with the JBL’s but with a much higher SPL output.

which JBL’s though? I have a budget of £22k for the full 7.2.4 speaker system not including receivers and amps etc

mb3195

Distinguished Member
which JBL’s though? I have a budget of £22k for the full 7.2.4 speaker system not including receivers and amps etc
Scl-3 upfront. Thesoundcounsel have 5 x scl-4 for sale second hand (pretty sure you could pick 4 of them up). Atmos there are plenty of options.

You could make the budget work with these speakers. RRP can always be negotiated as well.

Last edited:

markjames81

Novice Member
Scl-3 upfront. Thesoundcounsel have 5 x scl-4 for sale second hand (pretty sure you could pick 4 of them up). Atmos there are plenty of options.

You could make the budget work with these speakers. RRP can’t always be negotiated as well.
Cheers mark, I will look into those speakers. As you know I’m working with a professional integrator but don’t want to be pushed down a route that suits their budgets if you know what I mean

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Cheers mark, I will look into those speakers. As you know I’m working with a professional integrator but don’t want to be pushed down a route that suits their budgets if you know what I mean
I do, just make sure you get what you want and not what THEY want.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Procella and Ascendo speakers are also worth considering.

Owl40

After recently hearing Mark’s JBLs I would definitely demo at Karma. The Wisdom designs look interesting and share a lot of qualities of electrostatic hifi speakers that I love so much. However for home cinema I think dynamics and output are also important. I will follow your journey with interest…..

Owl40

I’ve got the first generation of arendal sub 2s and 1s and they are plenty quick to keep up with fast transients of the main bed speakers.

magicvinny

Is there any reason why not use Wisdom Audio subs?
I’m in the same boat actually.
I bought MK IW150 speakers and s150t’s for surround. Honestly it wasn’t for me. Everybody seems to be over the moon with MK/Lyngdorf combination so I bought them blind. That was a mistake. Just didn’t like the overall sound especially coming from B&W speakers. I was reading quite a lot about Wisdom Audio speakers wich are a completely different animal. Took the plunge again and bought them blind. Thing is, Wisdom Audio is extremely difficult to audition somewhere here in Belgium. I’m now really happy with how these speakers sound. I also have the P4i as LCR and still have to make a choice for my surround speakers, P2i or the P2m onwall speakers.
For now I’m still using the MK V12 sub but I’m also looking for something else to use in combination with the WA speakers…

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I honestly haven't heard the Wisdom set up, i need to get down to the distributors demo suite to have a listen.

As i have said in another thread i did a tour with a client 7 years ago to help him choose the system he wanted, Wisdom & Procella weren't available at the time, but we did the other upper brands and due to budget creep, JBL came into play and the client jumped at it. We had it professionally calibrated and the comment was 'thats the equivalent to a preview screening room in London'

If you can justify it JBL is certainly the way to go and if your install team have access to Wisdom they should certainly have access to JBL too. If not then there are seperate questions around why not and several of us here can help you out.

Certainly combo deals to be had too.

Chris, AAC

markjames81

Novice Member
Is there any reason why not use Wisdom Audio subs?
I’m in the same boat actually.
I bought MK IW150 speakers and s150t’s for surround. Honestly it wasn’t for me. Everybody seems to be over the moon with MK/Lyngdorf combination so I bought them blind. That was a mistake. Just didn’t like the overall sound especially coming from B&W speakers. I was reading quite a lot about Wisdom Audio speakers wich are a completely different animal. Took the plunge again and bought them blind. Thing is, Wisdom Audio is extremely difficult to audition somewhere here in Belgium. I’m now really happy with how these speakers sound. I also have the P4i as LCR and still have to make a choice for my surround speakers, P2i or the P2m onwall speakers.
For now I’m still using the MK V12 sub but I’m also looking for something else to use in combination with the WA speakers…
Fantastic that you have the P4i speakers. What amplification are you using to drive them? Through an AVR or separates?

markjames81

Novice Member
I honestly haven't heard the Wisdom set up, i need to get down to the distributors demo suite to have a listen.

As i have said in another thread i did a tour with a client 7 years ago to help him choose the system he wanted, Wisdom & Procella weren't available at the time, but we did the other upper brands and due to budget creep, JBL came into play and the client jumped at it. We had it professionally calibrated and the comment was 'thats the equivalent to a preview screening room in London'

If you can justify it JBL is certainly the way to go and if your install team have access to Wisdom they should certainly have access to JBL too. If not then there are seperate questions around why not and several of us here can help you out.

Certainly combo deals to be had too.

Chris, AAC
Appreciate that Chris I will certainly look at the JBL synthesis route and will take that up with my dealer. My budget has already creeped as far as it can go at the moment so will have to weigh up what I can get from JBL in wall that can match or better the wisdom P4i and P2i combination

markjames81

Novice Member
I’m using a Lyngdorf MP50 with Lyngdorf SDA-2400 amps.
So did you look at the WA subwoofers?
Just something I’ve been quoted at the moment. Certain not heard them. They seem very expensive though and I would prefer a system with two at least.

simonb3665

Not sure if it's of interest to you but maybe worth checking out this classified
Not so sure about the wisdom subwoofers. Going folded horn seems to make life a bit difficult for themselves but I'm sure they're well designed though.
Subwoofer sound 'quick' the less low end they are dealing with. Take the same subwoofer and roll it off after 35hz and all of a sudden it's musical. I would focus on making sure you have enough subwoofer output for your preference and roomsize. I would have thought 2 sealed subs would be adequate for that room. I doubt you would go far wrong with 2 Arendal subs as already suggested.
Sounds like it's going to be an awesome room. Best of luck with it.

magicvinny

Lots of people like the MK X12 subwoofer. Maybe over budget for 2 subs but you could start out with 1 sub and then add a second one later. Just not sure how good they compliment the Wisdom speakers.

Kenzo85

Hi Mark,

I do agree with the primary opinion in this thread in regards to Wisdom Audio subs, in my experience they do their work, but they are too slow and not that defined and punchy, unless you have a lot of them or their largest series.

But what I can recommend is, to pair the insight series speakers with a pair of used Velodyne DD12+ or a similar sealed sub of that quality/expression. They are perceived as very fast, punchy and detailed bass.

BTW I have considered to try the Arendal Sound 1723 S2 as an alternative, but haven't pushed the order button yet.

BR.
Kenzo

markjames81

Novice Member
Hi Mark,

I do agree with the primary opinion in this thread in regards to Wisdom Audio subs, in my experience they do their work, but they are too slow and not that defined and punchy, unless you have a lot of them or their largest series.

But what I can recommend is, to pair the insight series speakers with a pair of used Velodyne DD12+ or a similar sealed sub of that quality/expression. They are perceived as very fast, punchy and detailed bass.

BTW I have considered to try the Arendal Sound 1723 S2 as an alternative, but haven't pushed the order button yet.

BR.
Kenzo
I’m actually looking at 2 of the Wisdom S90 that do play quite load and go down to 20Hz. They are quite big but slim with the intension of fitting them behind my fabric wall.

Any experience of these?

Kenzo85

I’m actually looking at 2 of the Wisdom S90 that do play quite load and go down to 20Hz. They are quite big but slim with the intension of fitting them behind my fabric wall.

Any experience of these?
I've only heard them on exhibitions, these are the ones where it makes sense to go with Wisdom Subs.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom