Best sub under £500?

jackv545

Standard Member
Looking to upgrade my sub (currently have a Jamo sub from the a102 hcs system). Looking to spend up to £500 and it will be for 50/50 music/movies. The room is about 17ft x 12ft. What would you recommend?

Ultrasonic

This would take some beating with those requirements I think:

XXLS400-FF

jackv545

Standard Member
That’s one I was considering. Also seen the monolith on eBay around £500 so worth noting I don’t mind going down the second hand route

Ultrasonic

Also seen the monolith on eBay around £500 so worth noting I don’t mind going down the second hand route
You can buy a new Monolith is £475, although some finishes cost more. I suggested the XXLS400 due to your 50% music use. If you have a search you'll find a old threads here with people discussing the Monolith vs XXLS400 question that you might want to read.

I have a Monolith that I'm using for music as I type this but I haven't heard an XXLS400 to compare. Sealed subs (like the XXLS400) are generally suggested as being better for music by virtue of having a better transient response, and I'm keen to explore this myself when I can.

I'll add that I'm using a miniDSP 2x4 HD to EQ the bass (amongst other things). I don't think I'd want to be using the Monlith for music without this.

Ultrasonic

I should have said I'm not sure I'd want to use a Monolith for music without some form of EQ, which you may well have an AVR to do, I didn't specifically mean a miniDSP.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom