Best Sub to match Mission FS/2 NXT panels

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by squiresp, May 4, 2007.

1. squiresp

squiresp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

Can anyone suggest a good sub to improve on the one supplied with the Mission FS/2 AV package? The NXT panels will remain because of their small size, but I would like to improve the sound with a new sub!

My budget is around £500 - I guess the sub needs to reach quite high frequencies to cover the missing frequencies from the NXT panels?

Many thanks,
    Pete.

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    M&K Subs go quite high so they are worth a look but I am not familiar enough with the range to offer any specific advise.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I doubt you will find a sub with such an high frequency range ,or an amp with such an high crossover.
    It could be time to look at other speakers.

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    That is a good suggestion. I've just googled the FS/2 and they are quoted as only going down to 258Hz (they don't even quote -3 or -6dB) which I'm not sure qualifies as anything other than mid bass. Thats very high for any sub not specifically designed for the job or the package.

Have a look at the Cantons avialable in the speaker powerbuys. Small, discrete, pretty, very small, sound excellent and will reach down to subwoofer frequencies for very sensible money. They also open up an obvious uprgade route. Have a look at Bob1's 'The Plasma Install' link to see what I mean.

Cantons subs are OK (possibly better than the mission), but in this respect, you may have to step sideways before you move forward. Sorry.:(

Russell

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I was going to post the same as russ about the high crossover frequency needed to blend in.

The crossover frequency of the Denon amplifiers can be set to 250Hz, which is about the highest i know of, but as previously mentioned, very few, if any, subs will reach that high to bridge the gap you'll get using anything other than the designated sub for that package.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,627
    Could you not set the speakers to small and use a crossover of say 120Hz, so the Mission sub acts as an extended mid-range driver only and the new sub handles the bass?

Dave

PS, can you even run the NXT panels without their sub? My wharfedales had the power surge protection in the sub-woofer unit so running without the sub would have meant they were unprotected. Crossover on my amp isn't selectable so I stuffed the panels passive sub's port with socks.

7. squiresp

squiresp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking about using the Denon 2807 reeceiver that does the auto setup thing with individual crossover for each speaker. Also, I'd be happy to use the mission sub with the panels, and add another sub, like a Rel T1 maybe?

What do ya reakon?

Cheers,
    Pete.