1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best sub/sat - around £1K

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by warboy, Jul 23, 2003.

1. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking to change my current Mission set up:
    753 freedom
    77c1
    my room is about 20'x13'. I was hoping to find a sub/sat system that would excel at movies but also play music v.well - for between £1000-1500. I'll be running it from a Denon 3803.
    My interest is about a 50/50 music/movie.
    I'd be grateful for any opinions/testimonies/suggestions.

PS if i buy a new system, I'll be selling the above, all VGC, in rosewood...

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    JM Labs Sib & Cub system at about £860 is probably the best you can buy for the money. It's certainly the best I've heard.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    There are a number of similar threads roaming about at the mo' and I think you can expect the following from a number of people:

Sats are great for films, but less good for music, particularly if you are already used to good floorstanders like your Missions. Proceed with caution if 50/50 music/films is your need.

I haven't any I can recommend I'm afraid. I am still not convinced sats can match full-range speakers of similar value with stereo tunes. :( Wish I could.

4. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the swift reponse
    i have read good things about the sib/cubs and focal certainly make great car speakers.
    perhaps 50/50 isn't quite right; in terms of time i spend about 70/30 video/audio. I know that a sub sat won't be as good as my freedoms in straight stereo, but I'm after something I can live with for music, but knock my nuts of in films. My brother's got the Kef eggs and as a benchmark - IMHO they're not quite good enough for music.
    I was thinking about getting a friend to buy and ship some M&K's?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't confuse dinky little lifestyle sats and midwoofers with small standmount type satellites and a decent subwoofer.

You and I listened to a rather marvellous Leema satellite speaker at the Bristol show earlier this year which is admittedly out of warboy's price range.

Have a listen to the smaller K range from M&K though

6. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was thinking of the K5's, K4's and a K10, which could be purchased in the US for about £970 - god knows what shipping would be though, or if you would get away with no VAT as they would be a very generous 'birthday present'
    would a 3803 be able tp drive those 4ohm rears?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would think that a 110wpc Denon 3803 should be able to drive 4 ohm rears fairly easily as my 125wpc Denon AVC10SE has no trouble driving three M&K 4 ohm speakers at the front

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yeah, I loved the little Leema's too, but pricey! I just heard the K range last week and thought they were a little harsh for music for my tastes. I reckon a Denon 3803 will only harden up the sound another notch. :( They certainly bear no resemblance to Mission 753's. VERY good clarity on films tho' - gunshots on T2 were just fabulous!! :smashin:

9. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I own(ed) 3 AG Micros + CHT-15 as well as Mission 753/75c/751.
    With movies, in my opinion, the sat/sub combination ran my Mission gear pretty close. So much so i recently dumped all bar the 753s as the sub/sat combo more than meets my needs at the moment. I did however keep the 753s for stereo...i just like the noise they make...not the last word in hi-fi but it floats my boat.
    Anyway 4 Micros, 1 A'diva and a CHT-10 or -15 would come in around the 1000/1500UKP mark so might be worth a listen, if you've not done so already.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I seconds gallo setup as well the MPS150 sub is nice but a bit weedy and I wouldn't buy 1 A'Diva try and get 2 for fronts or all 3 pushing budget up I know but possibly worthwhile for the extra stereo performance you get!!

11. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    HD, i agree, i was just thinking of one A'diva, for front centre work, from a movies perspective...but 3 would be better for both movies and stereo.
    Had a listen to the ProAc Hexa's last week... was very impressed by them...but budget wise, here, they'd be OTT.

12. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Castle have a new sub/sat 5.1 package out called the compact at £999. Small, beautifully finished, (nine real wood veneers and silver), heard them the other day and thought they sound great, the sub is absolutely amazing for such a "relatively" cheap package!

Seek out your nearest castle dealer and give them a run.

13. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - don't risk importing MK from the states something so expensive from the states will get done for vat, duties, and other taxes they may invent. Could make it seriously expensive.

Oh and no warranties either!

A delivery guy turned up on my doorstep once for a small item ordered from the states $199 cost me £349 in the end, it was OK then as it was a lack of options so I paid "grudingly"!

14. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your comments.
    tekmonkey - have to agree with you about importing - looked into shipping, too expensive, even if you get away with VAT
    Have always been a fan of castle for stereo - will look at their 5.1, think HI-Fi Experience stock them.
    Anyone have experience of the Ruark Vita 100, always got good reviews - with the 120 out there's a few ex-demo's going cheap??

15. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi warboy,

I had a home demo of the Ruark Vita 100 package a while back, and I have to say it sounded great. It's a very musical system IMHO.

My girlfriend loved it too, and not just because of it's looks, she's really into dance music and Jamiroqui, and it really was foot tapping stuff, when played through the Ruarks.

I'm surprised there isn't more of a following of this package in these forums. Especially now there are so many bargains about. The one I tested was an ex-demo 5.1 system in great condition with the 125w sub for £800! :eek: Thats a great price for such quality.

Don't overlook M&K sats though, they are outstanding with movies (and music IMO).

Good luck with whatever you get.

16. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone.
    I'll post when i finally make up my mind.
    just about to take delivery of a TW100... so will be busy for a while!!!