Best Sub for under £600

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My BK xls200 has started humming and I'm not sure if it can be repaired but it seems like an excellent excuse to get a replacement.

I have been looking at the monolith plus of course but is there better for that budget.

Also, If I went for the monolith plus should I go DF ? My xls200 is DF but I used to live in a house with just concrete floors. My new house has had extensions in the past so the living room now is 50/50 concrete and floorboards.
The sub will be sitting on the concrete side.

Thanks for any help in advance !

I doubt there is anything better under 600£ if looking larger ported model. You should be able to fix the XLS200 for probably under 100£ in most cases, then sell it forward for 200-250£? depending of age/condition etc. This would grow your budget slightly.

663£ there is SVS PB2000 which is step up performance wise, deeper port tuning and more output overall with modern design class-d amp with DSP and longer warranty (5years).
"Complete, Minor marks and Flaw in veneer on top. All accessories and full warranty."

705£ another one grade-2, typically in great condition. "May have minor marks, original packaging, all accessories and full warranty included."

Here is also used one which is almost new, perhaps you could talk about the price! "Purchased in 2019 from richer sounds, has had under 3 hours of listening time so still in new condition and comes with 4 year svs Warrenty. I will not accept any silly offers"

svs is still outa price range.
I was gonna use a repaired sub to fund the monolith or similar but am not interested in the p12-300sb-sr.

Speak to Tom @ BK. Just got my XLS200 back from BK after it developed a random hum.

Speak to Tom @ BK. Just got my XLS200 back from BK after it developed a random hum.
who did you use for courier and how much did it cost ?

If the sub is on top of wooden floorboards, I would go for FF or you can put a slab or piece of granite underneath and use DF.

How big is the room. You could go for dual subs to fill the room more evenly. Dual bk platinums or dual double gems or fix your xls200 and get another one or fix then sell it and use the money for a better sub or two.

who did you use for courier and how much did it cost ?
BK arranged collection. They originally quoted me around £40 for collection, repair and return. However it came back today with no charge.

If the sub is on top of wooden floorboards, I would go for FF or you can put a slab or piece of granite underneath and use DF.

How big is the room. You could go for dual subs to fill the room more evenly. Dual bk platinums or dual double gems or fix your xls200 and get another one or fix then sell it and use the money for a better sub or two.
The room is big. Its around 7 meters long by about 4 meters wide. I have thought about running dual subs as I have a harmen HKTS9 sub to go with my satalites.
I had never used it until last night and I was well surprised with how capable this sub is !

I had tried to get my amp into 5.2 but I couldn't seem to get it to do it. It would only run the one sub. Half my room is concrete floor and the other half is wood. This is because of an extension built way before we bought the place and the xls200 sits on the concrete atm.

I think I am going to try and get BK to RMA the speaker and make a choice to sell it at a later date.

The SVS PB1000 is a really good subwoofer that’s in your price range

@SyStemDeMoN
Go as large as you can. Those sealed subs from BK ain`t going to wow you same way. It´s different experience with Monolith. You won´t regret! PB1000 is good choice too if size is issue and adding 2nd could be easier! But then you see PB2000 only few hundred more, it´s never easy choice. :(

You could also call to Colosussxb which sells new grade-b BKs in mint condition and Monolith Plus often goes for ~510£ in basic finish. If you can fit it, then there is nothing better (new) for that kind of price!

Colosussxb (BK Electronics)
Phone: 01702511900

I'm now waying up the P12-300SB-PR against the mono+

Any thoughts ??

I'm now waying up the P12-300SB-PR against the mono+

Any thoughts ??

If you can fit Monolith FF or DF (different dimensions!) then don`t think twice! You have quite big room and you want the most noticeable change when you do upgrade. So in that sense Mono would make most sense! There is quite big difference in the cabinet volume (95litre vs. 50litre) and Mono being ported there is performance difference. But the price is same (non Plus Mono).

But if size restricted then the P12-PR or SVS PB1000.

You could consider two double gems. Four 10 inch drivers might give more output than a single 12 of the platinum or xls400 and fill the room more evenly...

There is a member on this forum selling a pair and he's not too far from you and within your £600 budget for the pair.

I have had the amp on my xls200 repaired and its working fine but I have just put an order in for a monolith.
Better safe than sorry !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom