1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Sub for £400 ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sTTu, Mar 15, 2003.

1. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone make any recommendations for a good sub with some "slap" for around £400 ?? to go with five VM1's ?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

sTTu

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Velodyne CHT-10..available for £325 delivered to your door, excellent service & back up. Available Here

3. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It has to be said, unless WAF comes into play the Velodyne is a deal its a steal it's the sale of the ******* century

4. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Excuse my ignorance :confused: Whats WAF ?

sTTu

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wife Acceptance Factor.

If it is really important then take a look at the B&W ASW series and the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 as they are slightly and *alot* smaller, respectively.

Otherwise Vel get my vote too... I've only ever heard a CHT-10 but that left a lasting impression. £325 is a fantastic price.

MuFu.

6. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm lucky in that dept as I am blessed with WDGAFWID :D

I've read about the REL Q150 as a bit of a boomer ! the rooms only 14 x 16 so I don't want the windows to blow.

sTTu

P.S. WDGAFWID = "wife don't give a **** what I do"
    :clap:

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    have you actually looked at a comparison between the Velodyne CHT 10 and the ASW600.

According to the specs the 600 goes very slightly lower and is in a very slightly smaller box (and the box I must say does look a lot cuter).

I would love to hear from someone who has demoed both against each other.

I have to say there are so many "uncle eric" fans that I find it hard to get an unbiased answer on this forum to subwoofer questions.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT JUST A VALID COMMENT. We are all entitled to our opinions even if others think them wrong :)

Steff

EDIT: Mind you I am probably just as biased towards B&W but as i'm not a B&W salesperson *shrug* it seems a bit different.

8. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Not wishing to go off one one here but uncle eric has been uncle eric on these forums for the last 2 years now and has only been selling stuff via these forums (Powerbuy) for the last six months or so.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is untrue as what you appear to be asking for are biased opinions as you don't want replies from "uncle eric fans" as you put it.

How would you feel if someone asked a question about loudspeakers and suggested that they didn't want an answer from sounddog because she/they only ever recommend B&W.

I am probably uncle eric's closest friend on the forum and I don't have a Velodyne but a REL Storm mark 3 which I highly recommend as being a very musical and easy to integrate sub. Unfortunately it costs more than the £400 max that sTTu set as his limit and therefore as a Storm lover my suggestion at that price break is a CHT10 with £75 left over to take his wife out for a slap up meal for letting him tread where other wives won't.

10. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    Is the 600 spec an in room figure or tested in an anechoic chamber like the Velodyne, big difference!:)

Happy CHT-10 owner. ;)

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I never said I don't want an answer from Veloydyne owners. I just said it is hard to get an opinion that is unbiased towards Velodyne.

I also clearly stated that I AM biased towards b&w.

*shrug* I made myself clear I am not going to argue I am just saying that there are other subwoofers in the world at below £400

Steff

I also did not ask the original question I was giving my opinion. Now my opinion can be wrong and has been wrong a lot of times in my life, but I stiff have the right to give "my" opinion.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Therein lies the problem Steff. People are always biased towards what they own and due to the success of the powerbuys there are a lot of happy Velodyne owners here who when asked what type of sub is recommended will put their hands up to be counted.

Due to the success of the Power Buy there will always be overwhelming support for Velodyne thanks to all those happy customers and I will re-iterate, I am not one of them.

Subwoofery seems to be different from other products as there is a lot of rubbish in the marketplace plus a lot of good stuff that is over priced. There doesn't seem to be as much good value for money products at different price breaks as there are in main speakers or amplifiers or dvd players etc.

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, in an attempt to be constructive, here are some suggestions to consider...

Velodyne CHT-10, £325 (powerbuy). Info here.

MJ Acouctics Reference 100, £349-399. Info here.

REL Q150E, £450 and REL Quake, £320. Info here.

B&W ASW600, £350. Info here.

Also worth mentioning I think is this...

REL Q100E (secondhand), £200-£300. Info here.

Try and get some demos. :)

MuFu.

Edit - fixed link.

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I'm also looking at this area ie, upto £400, and was considering the ASW 600 among others. I've heard good things about the MJ 100 but the link said frequency response 13-120 Hz.

Now all the others in this price band seem to be 26~ Hz upwards, 13 seems to me to be well unrealistically low compared to the others...

It just doesn't seem to make much sense either it goes incredibly low which seems a big plus point or it's completely different measuring, if so does anyone know what it's figures realistically are?

Steff

Who is shooting myself still for not using the "buy it now" option on eBay a month ago for a ASW675 when I saw it. :suicide:

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm no techie but it would seem that different sub manufacturers quote their figures differently so that a comparison of written statistics ends up being meaningless.

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Don't beat yourself up too much Steff. I was lucky enough to have the B&W 675 for a long weekend and it was fine and dandy BUT wasn't (and here comes an opinion for all you sensitive types) as good as the MJ A pro 50 which in turn isn't as good as the reference 100 (again that's an opinion and I must confess it's a shaky one based on about a 30 minute demo under far from ideal conditions - but Phil Mason did assure me that if I felt the pro 50 was better than the ref 100 he would happily exchange the boxes).

17. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    13Hz at what level, or is it an artifact of distortion my guess is that it is more likely to be 30Hz -3dB anachoic. 25Hz -6dB and a whopping 24dB down at 12Hz. But these figures are quite good for a small enclosure / small driver combination. They of course get better in small rooms.

Of course after you establish these figures you need to know at what spl they are, the distortion and transient response.

Safest bet is to audition

18. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Yep, I agree with the audition etc...

I was saying the 13Hz just looks *wrong* if you know what I mean in comparison to the others. I'm considering testing it out, but well if the figures are that different to others, to be honest that puts me of testing a bit.

Now that probably sounds really daft!! but it makes it seem a bit like a cheap hifi with 2,0000000000 watts of power ;)

To be honest I'm thinking of MJ 100 and the ASW 600. Yes I know I should test... and I probably will do its just totally unrealistic figures put me off a company.

Shrug

Steff

19. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    In room you will pick up 13Hz on an SPL meter if it could read down that far, This is not just the speaker but walls, doors glass or just about anything that resonates at that frequency being exited by the vibrations from the sub.

I think what the advertising blurb is saying is that you will feel and hear the sound (Maybe) its certainly not measured as a sub that small will always suffer from the laws of diminishing returns.

The specs I just posted are more realistic.

20. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi wilber
    As you say you had the asw675 for the weekend and how you set it up in your room it didnt sound better than the mj50 well all i can say is you didnt set it up right or didnt take the time to try differant positions settings etc as i owned the rel q150e also demoed mj50 sub these subs are alot easier to set up where a bit more time and care is needed with the asw675 which when set up properley would easily outperform the mjsubs. I found out that the volume setting on the sub is very critical only needs 2notches or becomes over powering also positioning needs to be done with care .I had the sub positioned to the left of my front speakers i found turning it in towards the centre of the room slightly could make a huge differance to the sound of the sub and this did take me a few days to work out you can get the wrong impression of some equipment until set up right and would quite happily let you put your pro50 up against the asw675 in my room any day.
    just my opinion.
    Gonzo.:devil:

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steff I would go for a 15" and a high powered one- better to go overboard and get a whopper of a sub than a underpowered/under-perfoming subwoofer.

My mate has the Rel Q100E- it's very easy to run out of cone movement in heavy DD scenes, wheras my Storm can go alot further.

Possible mate could damage the Q100E because the cone is reaching it's limits.

And very unlikely to "upgrade" from a Velodyne HGS-18 (as an example) to a better subwoofer.

22. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wilber doesn't have a Pro 50, he doesn't even have his Ref100 yet, but it is on its way???

23. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Gonzo - as you say it's a matter of opinion. in my room with my amp and my speakers I was happier with the MJ pro 50 and after a short demo I felt I would be happier with the ref 100 which as Dan points out I don't yet have so I can't give a definitive view on. It's great that you like your sub and in another environment it would be perfect I don't doubt - I was only trying to cheer steff up by relaying my experience.

Do you drive a Seat Leon Cupra? It suits me very well but I dare say that you may not like it - it's a bit quirky, just like hifi gear really, just because I like something doesn't mean that the next person will. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same stuff?

24. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone own/demoed the MJ Pro 1650?

25. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,970
    Sorry had two windows open and posted this reply(which was proberly still valid) in wrong thread.

26. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Two volt ten inch like REL use, coupled to a 500w RMS mosfet amp, with a Linkwitz Riley crossover. sounds very Studioesque. Ive heard it, and it's loud and deep but it's not subtle. If you want to annoy the nieghbours ten doors down, then buy it.

Buy the way I had a preminition about it being upgraded to a more audiophile sub in the future.

But what do I know??

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Having read your posts in the past it wouldn't surprise me to find that you probably knew more about subwoofers than anyone else on this forum.

28. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    He knows more about where my sub is than I do (and audio excellence for that matter) :laugh:

29. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Dan. I though either it'll be great- because of dual woofers, of naff- aimed at the car lads.

From the looks of it (to make it a better design) does the cab need to be bigger?

30. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you play in a small house....a small subwoofer is a better bet?
    A better fit?