1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Sub for £200 ??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by james4001, Dec 31, 2003.

1. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys just wondering is anyone has any ideas on the best sub you can buy for £200 or less. i was thinking maybe Tannoy MXsub10m or the Yamaha YSTSW215, any thoughts..............
    James

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Velodyne's VX10, which is available from http://www.av-sales.com , would seem to be a better bet than those listed.

It's a little over your budget at £249, but most probably worth it.

3. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but i think 250 is too much over budget for me at the minute, £200 is the max

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then try the second hand arena.

It might sound like bad advice, but lots of other forum members will agree on this.

Either buy a descent sub or not at all.

You'll get more for your pennies in the S/H arena (perhaps a Velodyne CHT-10 or similar). I wouldn't recommend either of the subwoofers you suggested.

Failing that, you'd be wiser to just save up for longer and buy something worthwhile, as opposed to the Yamahas & Tannoys you mentioned, which will just provide a horrible low frequency 'mess' to accompany movie soundtracks and music.

5. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Sony SA-WD100, i would rather have a sub as i dont feel that the tannoy mx3's will produce enough bass for movies. If i was to get a sub it would have to be small, very small but good at the same time

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which implies you're yet to hear or buy them.

There's no point in buying a subwoofer just for the sake of buying a subwoofer. You may very well be right about the tannoys - they don't reproduce the full frequency spectrum and you'll lose a bit of bass. But it's definitely better to 'make do' until you can afford a descent subwoofer rather than wasting the money you have on one which won't improve the performance of your setup.

7. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your expertise you have been a good help
    James

8. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i have a AE aegis sub which is a fairly cheap sub , and can tell you it is not worth going for something now and regreting it later.cheap subs do have the depth that that your speakers dont but dont have any speed or slam.if i were you i would save up that 50 quid (or even more) and go for a better sub as you will only want to upgrade again 6 months down the line and find that the cheap one you brought aint worth sweet f.a.

9. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the Eltax A10.2 sub like as it is rated for 225 watts (rms) and is only £100 from QED

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

You've missed the point entirely haven't you?

Avoid it, the best advice I can give :D

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't get carried away by power ratings as cheap Far Eastern amplifiers are available for pennies.

Dimmy is right to recommend either second hand or the Velodyne VX-10. Give Liam McLaughlin a call at AV Sales and ask him for his best price for an AV Forums member as you may find the gap between the list price and your budget, smaller than you may think

12. Seeker

Seeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Gale 3080 sub from richers. £150, 100w, goes down to 25hz. It's a very capable sub for the money, with more than enough speed, slam and depth for most people (and their neighbours!). Yes, finding a good sub below 200 smackers is not easy, and yes, the more expensive subs are better in those regards (but not VERY MUCH better), but given how little thought has gone into soundproofing in the british construction industry, what's the point of owning an awesomely capable 1kw sub if no one will ever let you use it to it's fullest potential?
    The 3080 is a surprisingly good little sub, for both movies and music.
    Only prob is that it is rear-ported, which will make placement and tuning slightly tricky (best against solid wall, not too close to corners)

13. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I havent seen many Gale products online before and not heard much about them do they have a website?

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is one of Richer Sounds own label brands and I would urge you to listen to it and make your own mind up before parting with your money

15. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    :rotfl:
    Gonzo.

16. tessarossa

tessarossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard of Vibe. I have an alpha one and bought it for £150 new. My biggest bargain yet. Very stylish and compact. I've listened to a couple of subs in the £300-£400 bracket and the Vibe rocks. There is reveiws to be found at

http://www.homecinemachoice.com

17. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A s/h REL Q100E is the best sub you can buy from £200 or less, IMHO. They pop up quite often.

MuFu.

18. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the Tannoy Mx10 Sub from Peter Tyson which I think is great value for money. True it won't be as good as the pricier ones but along side my Tannoy/Mission set up it does a good job.

Definitely recommended if you're not spending more. Some have gone for the pricier Revolution range sub which is available for less than half price at below £300 but for this money or a little more I'm sure you can do much better.

Have a look at the reviews on www.digitalhomemag.com

19. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £150? :eek:
    I paid £200 for mine 2 months ago and thought I got a good deal. The cheapest I have found it now, is £259.
    Got to agree that it is a very capable sub. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first sub but given the sound and performance, I think I chose wisely :D

20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Be sure to have a good look at the classifieds,and exdem/used listings as there are often bargains to be had.

Be very wary of manufacturers in the £200 region claiming that their products "go down to 20Hz"as in most cases,the output at that level,whilst measurable,may well be negligible.
    Getting a speaker system or sub to go down flat to 20Hz or less costs a lot of money.

What you want at this sort of price is something that sounds relatively clean,very possibly trading extension for good quality bass.

Have a look at
    www.ex-dem.co.uk
    www.ebay.co.uk
    www.loot.com

and just get some idea of what may be around for your budget.

21. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always remember: 'If you buy cheap, you buy twice'. You will never regret buying quality!

22. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your replies, im not someone who demands a lot from my cinema system just want it to work ok and do its job so i think the tannoy mxsub10 sounds good enough for me

23. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the B&K XLS200 that everyone is raving about. That looks like serious value for money! It must be worth stretching the budget to £280 delivered.

24. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i can get the MXSUB10 for 160-165 delivered or something like that so i think it is good value
    James

25. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    James4001, how're you finding the performance of the Tannoy sub ?

26. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know what you need?

The Paradigm PS-1000. I say it every time but it's just the best value sub I've ever come across. You'll have to buy 2nd hand but you're looking at 150 to 200.

Comparing it to every value sub I've heard it absolutely blows them away. It's got huge amounts of power, depth and the control is certainly good enough for me. In my opinion it smacks the REL Strata III around that I was going to replace it with. So much so that I sold the REL.

Never heard a bad word about this sub. I do tend to sing its praises a lot though, as everyone tends to do of their own equipment.

27. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I compared the Paradigm PDR10 that I had in my lounge,with the new Rel Q200E that I'd bough for my loft cinema room. In the lounge, it was very difficult to tell them apart. The PDR10 wasn't quite as bassy or tight, but the difference between them wasn't much, which surprised me.

I recently tried the PDR10 in my loft to see what it would sound like with the Rel, and it sounded very wooly and boomy. I'd tried it on it's own up there a few years ago (it's what convinced me I needed a sub up there) and i don't remember it sounding like that then. I can only assume it doesn't work well in the same room with the Rel. Even on it's own it didn't sound as I remember it which is very odd...

I don't know if being ported makes a difference, but I think I'll try a non ported sub to twin with the Rel. It's a shame, because I like the PDR10, and was thinking of trying the PS1000 if I saw one for sale. Unfortunately I can't take the risk in case I get the same results I got with the PDR10. :(

My loft hatch is too small to safely get a Servo 15 up there, as that was my first choice.. The PDR10 sounds very good indeed in my lounge btw, and still adds some great bass. I think it's excellent value for money.

Gary.

28. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, my parents actually have a PDR10 downstairs, I have my PS1000 in my room.

There's definately a big difference in terms of output, the PS1000 seems to be built for it and as such it shakes the house more.

It also seems tighter which is suprising - it could just be the rooms. It's definately produces more distinct bass sounds rather than 1 bass thud but the PDR10 is excellent value for money as it can be had for around half the price.

29. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Avoid the Eltax Sub, I bought an Eltax Sub-10 as a starter point a while back, ok, I only paid £69.99 for it (down from £179), but it really is all boom and no bang or slam. It goes down deep, but there is a lack of control.

Its great for explosions, but not so hot at music. I'm in the market for a new sub, but will not make the mistake of scrimping on one again.

30. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i didnt buy a sub in the end after all the searching and getting peoples opinions i decided to go down the DIY route and save up to build a beast for my setup, havent yet got there yet but i cant wait till i have some time to start planning it