Best sub 800 pound TV for sight issues?

danseddon

Novice Member
Hello

My dad, who's in his late 70s, likes to play RTS (realtime strategy games). Unfortunately he's been developing AMD (age related macular degeneration) and it's getting hard for him to play on his laptop as he struggles to identify important information on the screen.

I've managed to persuade him that he needs to use a desktop and TV instead. I have a background in film and am very aware of how much more information you pick up from a large screen and think he should consider even a 55" screen (I know LG's CX 48 is popularly for gaming). I think, if his eyes have to move around the screen a little more, this will be made up for by the benefit in scaling up information (currently he leans in to his laptop to get this effect...). I've actually used a 55" with a computer at about 3-4 feet and it's pretty comfortable for me.

What I'm curious about is what other factors might matter? It seems brightness could be of big benefit? Maybe hz might matter a little (less for the brain to worry about)? I doubt contrast matters?

As I have an LG OLED myself, initially I thought that might be the best option. But if brightness matters, am I right in saying LCD TVs are actually better for this? If that's the case should I be looking for the TV with the best HDR performance in his price range (800 pounds max I imagine) and what are some suggestions there?

Thanks

Dan

Dodgexander

Try to find a 2020 Sony 55XH9505 or Samsung 55Q90T/Q95T before they sells out. Otherwise 800 is not going to really get you something with great HDR performance.

Timing of the purchase can be key, and unfortunately right now 2021 models are still pretty expensive. If lucky, come christmas/black friday sales some entry level OLEDs may become cheaper like the LG A1 but an OLED probably is not a good idea for someone playing RTS a lot, since those games tend to have a lot of static elements.

danseddon

Novice Member
Try to find a 2020 Sony 55XH9505 or Samsung 55Q90T/Q95T before they sells out. Otherwise 800 is not going to really get you something with great HDR performance.

Timing of the purchase can be key, and unfortunately right now 2021 models are still pretty expensive. If lucky, come christmas/black friday sales some entry level OLEDs may become cheaper like the LG A1 but an OLED probably is not a good idea for someone playing RTS a lot, since those games tend to have a lot of static elements.
Thanks for your reply. I think you're confirming what I thought on the OLED, although I can find some pretty good prices for them it seems LCD is better for brightness.

Do you think the Samsungs you recommend are significantly better than the Sony? I can see Sony's for around 700 but I can't find the Samsungs for less than 1000.

From watching a little more youtube I think I'm looking for a screen with the highest full screen brightness, rather than the peak brightness that's important HDR?

In this youtube video:

Vincent mentions the Panasonic DX902 as being the brightest he'd measured for full screen brightness prior to Samsungs "Terrace" TV.

I can find at least 1 of those for around 700. Would that also be a good choice, I realize that it's about 5 years old now but I think this TV will only be used for playing the RTS games I mentioned.

Dodgexander

The Samsung models I mentioned aren't any better overall than the Sony, no. Pricing and availability is hit or miss on them because stock is running low. These TVs are at the end of their shelf life, and should be cheap. But if retailers have just one or two left they may put the price up again.

Unfortunately 2021 models are overpriced, so you have to pay more right now to get a similar TV.

I'm not really sure why you're rating brightness so important. For SDR around 200-300 is comfortable, displays were often pro calibrated with a peak brightness of around 150. Brightness is all about HDR really.

It can help when the room is very bright with SDR, but its not a big deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom