Question Best sub 50" TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by pazz, Nov 13, 2017.

1. pazz

pazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my Panasonic P42ST30B which has served me reasonably well over the last 5 years apart from the notorious green tinge issue.

My living room sadly won't take anything bigger than a 50" panel so my search has been somewhat restricted.

My initial research led me to an an interesting LG 49SJ800V which seemed to be great value at £649 as it had a lot of boxes ticked such as full 10 bit panel, 120hz refresh rate and Dolby vision but having looked at one up close the build quality seems to be very poor and the black levels terrible (likely due to the IPS panel). But this is where I think I'm going to struggle to compare my old plasma ST30 set with any of the more modern LCD/LED sets. Am I correct in thinking that black levels won't really be comparable to the plasma's of old?

My current favorite is the Sony KD-49XE9005 priced with JL at £1,199. Appreciatively I'm not comparing TVs from the same price range when considering the aforementioned LG but my budget is somewhat unrestricted. That being said I'm still wanting value for money.

Although the LG OLED55B7V would be fantastic, the size of the panel is too big and the price doesnt reflective value for money given the speed of TV tech development at the moment.

My question basically is, am I missing anything? Or should I just shut up and buy the XE9005?

Thanks for reading (and replying if you have the time).

2. magic073

magic073

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My current 50” is the same size as a 55” . I’d just get the OLED and be happy

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    In terms of bang for buck the stand out TVs this year are:

Budget: Hisense N6800
    Mid Range: Sony XE85 series
    Upper mid: Sony XE90 series
    High: LG B7/C7

But the value you find from each TV is heavily dependant on your sources, viewing conditions and preferences so it makes it very hard to give you a recommendation without more detail. If you can use this template it will help a lot.

Also, please measure up the space for the TV in width, height and depth, don't rely on diagonals as this isn't going to give you an accurate measurement. As mentioned above you may find you can fit a 55" model as bezels are very small.

----

No TV is perfect. - The same can be said if spending £500 or £5000.

Every time we get a`personal recommendation' or`what the best' or`if I were you' type of the questions, can we remind members of the saying:`one man's meat is another's poison'. We need to construct a profile of your taste for pros, TV use and more importantly your intolerance for specific cons for you to make the right choice. or...you can take the plunge and find out later. Nonetheless even with all the recommendations in the world, make sure you can demo the TV before you buy it, ideally with your own content in a dark demo room which stores such as richer sounds have. If not, make sure you are able to return the TV if you are not happy with it. Buy from a reputable source!

Please answer the following questions:
    1. What are your sources going to be? eg - Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streams? Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? Netflix? Amazon? Catch up TV? HDR consoles? PC?
    2. SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? eg 20% 60% 20%
    3. Movies, sport, console games, PC use (in percentage)?
    4. How close can you view the TV?
    5. Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on?
    6. What conditions do you like to view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark?
    7. What are you currently using and what do you expect by upgrading to a new TV?
    8. Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully.

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
    SDR Brightness
    SDR Colour Saturation
    SDR Colour Accuracy
    HDR Brightness
    HDR Colour Accuracy
    HDR Colour Saturation
    Local dimming
    How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Motion Blur
    Motion Judder
    Temporary image retention
    Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
    Soap Opera Effect
    3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
    Loss of detail in dark areas
    Reflective screens
    Haloing
    Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Now which is most important to you?

Price
    Connections
    Smart TV (which apps)?
    HDR PQ
    SDR PQ
    Sound