Best sub £400 digital camera ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by appledell, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. appledell

    appledell
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2002
    Messages:
    80
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    golborne
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

    I have spent days looking at various sites trying to pick a good 8meg camera, but I just keep going around in circles ! I want an excellent point and shoot for 90% of the time, the other 10% I would like to 'play'. I would like it to feature a high optical zoom (6x and above) with image stabiliser.

    I was intersted in the panasonic fz30 but have been put off by the remarks of noisy pictures.

    Apart from the mega expensive cannons and nikons which is the best camera on the market at the moment?

    Thanks

    Mike
     
  2. midtones

    midtones
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    FZ30 is good as it's gonna get for lots of features if you don't go the dslr route. The noise should not be a problem, have you read a few reviews of it?

    K.
     
  3. montybaber

    montybaber
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Messages:
    1,061
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    86
    Ratings:
    +276
    You may want to consider a d50 for that money (as long as you dont mind the size etc) no IS though (apart from with the VR lenses
     
  4. md644

    md644
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2006
    Messages:
    185
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Hull
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you checked out the samples at:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page18.asp

    They don't appear noisy to me (although I note most are shot at ISO 80), and I would doubt much noise will show up in actual prints, it's more of a problem if you start scrutinising pictures at 100% on screen....once you start increasing the ISO on any non DSLR digicam with small sensor you're going to start getting noise, especially beyond ISO200.

    The suggestion of a D50 is not a bad one, it will produce less noise at higher ISO, and be more responsive (MUCH less shutter lag). Downsides are it's bigger/heavier, and you might find the need to start buying lenses and other acessories (i.e. buying a D50 can be the start of your expense!), whereas the FZ30 (and equivalents) are pretty much "all in one" cameras....
     
  5. appledell

    appledell
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2002
    Messages:
    80
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    golborne
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the info, will have a look at the d50.
     
  6. hutters

    hutters
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Messages:
    722
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you are interested, I have my FZ30 up for sale on the forum here.

    My entry for this months photo comp (here) was taken with it.

    I too read the reviews before I bought it and it mentioned noise problems. The thing is, those reviews zoom right in so you would notice it, but I can't say it's ever bothered me - or that I've noticed it on any prints or viewing on screen. All in all it's a great camera, with fast start up, completely point and shoot if you want, or completely manual - it even has spot metering which my new 350D doesn't!
     

Share This Page

Loading...