Question Best sub-£400 amplifier?

omjk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, again, people of avforums. The last time I posted was some 12 years ago, when you matched a PM66SE Ki-Sig and a set of Tannoy R3s; it has been superb. Now that the amp has given up the ghost (one channel has cut out), I would dearly appreciate further input.

So, in the big, bad, scary world of buying another budget amp (last time I posted, I was a student, but finances still tight), I have enlisted:

- Marantz PM6006
- NAD C350
- Cyrus 2
- Cyrus 8

Nowadays, I tend only to listen to music via 320 kbps/Spotify Premium and am still inclined towards the second-hand market. Would I be better served by an amp that offers DAC? Would listening to music at this rate render a Cyrus redundant?

The Tannoys are going strong, as you might imagine.

Budget: £300/400 but, as I am between jobs, the lower the better.

Can you help with views on best value/most appropriate purchase?

Am really grateful for any help that you can provide,

Omar

Last edited:
Ok, after a few hours of research, I am plumping for a Cyrus 8vs2 with PSX-R. Budget breaking, but it is a Friday!

*edit: the price for both is £579 with delivery. Hope my R3s match the amp!

Thanks for help on this forum, past and present

Last edited:
THe Cyrus will drive the R3s with sumptuous ease. I think you’re in for a treat.

In fact it will woefully outclass the speakers.

It’s the speakers the make the sound in a room (assuming the amp is up to scratch) so it’s a pity that the Marantz is dead as you could have had these for a silly bargain price.

KEF Q700 Floorstanding Speakers

The Marantz wouldn’t have got the best out of them, but a later upgrade to the Cyrus certainly would have.

Hifi is an infectious disease of the wallet :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom