Best sub £275 digital SLR ???

paulmcp2403

Folks my wife wants a digital SLR for sub £275....any recommendations?? Or any classified???

ps - must come with lens:smashin:

OrbitalPete

Novice Member
You're going to struggle to find *any* DSLR at that money :)

Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds section on this site for a bargain. hopefully something should show up in the next week or so.

HelloMoto

mpbphotographic has a Canon 350D for £154 and an 18-55mm IS for £79, total cost £233. It's a bit dated now, but still a good performer. You might see some Canon 1000D or Sony Alphas come up at that price too second hand on here.

paulmcp2403

cheers folks

Aardvarks

Argos have the Sony a230+kit lens @ £270 ???
New...with 12 months warranty......:smashin:

Capture your precious moments with improved clarity and reduced blur with the Sony a DSLR-A230L digital SLR camera. Brimming with features, the a A230 combines high-resolution 10.2-megapixel, simple operation, high sensitivity (ISO 3200), and advanced noise reduction. Plus, Eye-Start Autofocus and pop-up flash help you shoot faster while SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization works with virtually every lens. In addition to the on-screen Help Guide and convenient Creative style settings, the a A230L has a bright 2.7" LCD and comes with an 18-55mm standard zoom lens.

Last edited:

mutamist

May be a good idea to go to a camera shop and get her to actually hold a few. This is what I did and when holding the A230 I realised that the body, and particularly the grip, had taken a step back since the previous models and didn't give you much to hold on with. I can't imagine myself holding an A230 for very long at all. They've rectified this with the new A290/A390 range, at least it looks like nit - they are not actually out yet.

Aardvarks

mutamist, you are like me...got big hands.

I couldn't cope with a slim DLSR and went for a big body and chunky grip.

However Mrs Aardvarks has dainty little girlie hands and she would go for small, neat and light.

My bet is that the Sony 230 with its clever scene modes and in camera anti shake is proly a girlie SLR for this reason...

....Aardvarks now legs it before any feminista come a calling.

Ps, how many radical militant feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None

It's a man's job

Run like H*ll :devil:

paulmcp2403

she liked the sony but soon noted the LCD is not an image viewer....it merely shows exposures, ISOs etc....according to the reviews....if this is wrong please advise folks

mutamist

The A230 doesn't have live view. The A330 does but that would take your spend over £300.

If she likes the Sonys then from experience I can recommend trying to get hold of a second hand A300. Great value for money for these days and a great camera, perfect for a beginner. I just recently picked one up for £220 inc P&P. That was with lens, 2 batteries and 2 filters. there are bargains to be had in the Classifieds on these very forums. No doubt others can recommend others too and some may have the perfect camera for sale themselves - people are always looking to upgrade round here!

paulmcp2403

cheers buddy good advice

Aardvarks

she liked the sony but soon noted the LCD is not an image viewer....it merely shows exposures, ISOs etc....according to the reviews....if this is wrong please advise folks
you should be able to see the picture AFTER you have taken it by gioing into the playback menu.

My SLR is like this, you compose and shoot using the optical viewfinder and then after the shot is taken you view the shot on the LCD screen via a playback button.....is that what your good lady wife wants? or does she want to be able to view the shot on the LCD before she takes it? like on a compact digital?

paulmcp2403

she preferes to see it real time...and so would I LOL

weetsie

Novice Member
she preferes to see it real time...and so would I LOL
you can see it in real time by looking through the viewfinder, thats the whole point of an SLR. at first the concept might seem odd but once you started using an SLR it will make perfect sense to you.

eddiewood

Distinguished Member

Aardvarks

as eddiewood and weetsie have suggested, the point of an SLR is that you use the optical screen at the top.

If you do not use this, then all you need is a compact or a bridge camera.

If you are holding the SLR away from your face to see the live image, you are missing out on some of the great features of SLR owning

1. you can shoot in bright light and into the sun, where you could not see the screen on a compact

2. By mastering the technique of holding the camera body in the right hand and the left hand on the underside of the lens, with the camera locked hard against your face and your elbows tucked into your abdomen, you are effectively a human tripod, using a camera this way and controlling your breathing is real sniper style shooting for less camera shake and better shots, that is why guys with rifles do a similar thing. If you have the camera at ams length to see the live viewfinder you loose all these advantages.

Are you sure that you need an SLR?

There are some bridge cameras that will do what you want and give you 18x optical zoom without the need to ever change a lens or get dust in your sensor.

paulmcp2403

CyBeRkId2002

Not sure if this is true of all SLR's but the live-view on the D90 is sooooo slow to focus it makes it extremely difficult to use. Judging by what you have posted, and your budget you may be better with a bridge camera.

amoh

you can see it in real time by looking through the viewfinder, thats the whole point of an SLR. at first the concept might seem odd but once you started using an SLR it will make perfect sense to you.
100% Agree! In my opinion the live view option would only discourage your wife from understanding the DSLR and using it to potential!

The Sony have some good offerings the A230 as mentioned below is a great piece of kit. Personally I would go for a used A200 myself for around £200.

Good luck and enjoy.....froget about live view.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett