Best Sub-£250 DVD for CD replay

AndyDodds

Standard Member
Reaction score
As stated what do you think the best DVD player is at that price. I will be running it thro' a Denon 3802 and Mission M73 fronts.

Interested in:
CD replay
Auto or manual region select on multi-region models

Not interested in:
DVD-Audio
SACD
Unnecessary extras/fancy bits/Bull****

Many Thanks

Andy Dodds

Not really the answer you're looking for but (Richer Sounds prices)

Toshiba SD220e DVD player (£120 MR) or Pioneer DV350 (£115 MR)
PLUS
Sony CDPXE570 CD Player (£100) or Marantz CD4000 (£110)

I know you're looking for a 1 box player ... but the quality of CD's will be much better from the Sony than any £250 DVD player IMO

Victoria

Sounddog,

Thats not a bad idea, I preferably want a one box solution for WAF and was hoping the Denon 900 would be good but I'm seeing some negative feedback. I did see a review saying the Philip q-40 was good at audio but there is little info on the net. I have a Pioneer 606d at the mo and have been very happy with it for four years (crikey-seems like yesterday I was begging the wife for a DVD). Would a change to a DV-350/SD-220 show improvement in many areas over the 606, ignoring CD as the CD will take care of that.

Cheers

Andy Dodds

I'm not sure that replacing the DVD player (if it does everything you need it to already) would bring about any real improvement.

If you don't need to change the DVD ... you might be better off spending a little more on a NAD C521i instead of the two I meantioned earlier ... this is one of the best CD player avaliable under £300 and is only £200.

I've not seen any info on the Philips you meantion but I'm not sure if the Denon would give you the sort of improvement you're looking for ... only real way to tell would be a (home) demo.

Victoria.

Coincidentally I actually owned a NAD c521i for about 2 months ago. I sold it for funds as I wasn't that impressed with the improvement. My system sounded harsh, especially at high volumes and the NAD didn't do enough to change this to warrant the cost. I know it's not the NAD at fault, I just think that the system as a whole wasn't working. I am aware that i am greatly limited by the AVR-3802's pre/amplification. I've just changed my speaker wire to QED silver anniversary (from QED micro bi-wire) to try and remove any performance bottlenecks and am using IXOS 104 as the analogue interconnect.
I think without better amplification I may be stuck but other seem to very happy with CD replay in a 3802 amped system.
Maybe I'm just fussy.

Andy Dodds

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom