1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best sub £130 5.0 speakers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by WILD9, May 28, 2003.

1. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi, ive been looking around for speakers for a budget home cinema system to start me off ive come across a few bits and pieces but id be interested to see what anyone else can recomend . Im new to this game so i dont really know where to look. ive got a budget of £130 preferably less, id rather not be told that an extra £100 would get me something better as then its not really budget anymore, well not for me. Anyway, whats best atm ? strictly sub £130 ,im not fussed about a sub as il add that later and tbh a cup on the end of a piece of string would probably sound better than my sanyo tvs internal speakers.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're really pushing it!

You could try getting hold of Kef Cresta 2/1's and using them as fronts/rears respectively.

Either opt for a Cresta C as your centre channel or buy another pair of cresta 1's.

You might be able to get all of this for £110 from Richer Sounds/Hyperfi or a combination of the two.

3. GodtheDJ

GodtheDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thx for the help :) ,yeah i liked the look of the eltax hollywoods or universes as ultimately id like floorstanders at the front but i cant find any feedback anywhere on them, noone that has them seems to have posted an opinion

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't recommend Eltax - Richer Sound's dodgy little profit fueled obsession for a guess.

I'd always recommend the Kefs over them - although they may be more difficult to get hold of (Surprize Surprize - RS).

The Eltax Hollywoods MIGHT be OKAY - but I wouldn't buy them myself

6. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    erm right, ive found an offer with rs on their system saver package that basically gives me a panasonic sahe70 amp or a pioneer vsxc 100 amp and a set of eltax evolution speakers for £260 , the amps sell for £140 each and the speakers seem to sell for £ 399 even on the rs site. Im not too bothered about the amp as at this price range i know its not gunna be state of the art, but the speakers seem to get some rave reviews on independant review sites, the rs price is a tad exagerated as the rrp of the speakers is £400 and rs normally knock more than £1 off :) but still it looks to me like pretty good value as that rrp was taken from various other sites on the net.

7. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally am not too familiar with the hollywoods. I do however have a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ and they are absolutely fantastic. When I bought them last year, I sampled them along with 5 different speakers in the same price range, and they were by far and away the best.

I think if you are looking for cheaper end stuff, then Eltax are certainly the way ahead. Missions, and most other speaker companies dont make very good budget stuff, they are better once you start to look to spend 3 or 400 pounds on them.

For under £250, I would say Eltax in general are one of the better companies. Several reviews i read at the time said a similair thing.

8. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Let's not be picky here. Eltax is a long way from Hi-Fi nirvana, but for someone on a budget they are a good start, way better than even the best onboard systems.

9. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a set of eltax jupiter which i bought from comet in notts and i think there great well worth the £99.99 i paid

10. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know if the front floorstanders are sheilded? And if the're not how close is too close to a tv screen?

11. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no alas the fronts arent shielded but you should really keep the front speakers away from the tv for a good sound stage but mine rock on music and films

12. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look in the classifieds,there is a Marantz sr4200,and a set of Pioneer speakers for sensible money..You could do a lot worse ...
    I reckon thats an excellent starter set up,with a few quid left over from your budget!

13. ajw000

ajw000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as mentioned above, Ive got a full set of pioneers for sale, all magnetically shielded and 80w. Theyre Beech and in good condition. Youre not gonna get much better than these for £70 of your money, plus you'll have some cash left for saving provate ryan DTS to test it on;)