Best Sub £100 HMDI DVD Player

Von Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Toshiba 32WLT66, at the moment it's fed from my old Samsung HT-DM500 (via RGB Scart). The PQ isn't bad at all, but would there be a great improvement if I connected a new HDMI player to it. If so which sub £100 player would be best? The old HT-DM500 has an optical input, so I could use it as an amp.

:lease:

I've just bought a Sony NS76 DVD Player for £86 as I've read good reviews about it.

The cheapest around seems to be a Toshiba 360E for about £65 but seems a little flimsy in build.

Thanks for the reply PinnerFox.

Will the Sony NS76 DVD give me a noticeable improvement in PQ compared to my old samsung?

Having trialled 2 other brand HDMI connected players on my TV and seeing a noticeable diffference in brightness, colour and sound quality...I would say so.

May be you should borrow one if you can and do the same.:)

Thanks again for the reply PinnerFox.

It looks like it's the sony for me.

:smashin:

Let me know your thoughts when you get it...we'll compare notes.

Apparently the picture on 1080i HDMI is highly thought of!

I know you are putting it off now but I have the same TV as you and was using a Sony Player via RGB scart (its best output). Things didn't look "great" but were usuable. Bear in mind the interference issue on the Tosh with RGB scart.

I now have the SONY 76 player via HDMi to the Tosh (progressive/1080i upscaling) and it's a VAST improvement. Read the thread on this forum about the Sony 76 for proper feedback on this stunning little player. Bargain price, reliable, great build quality, good features (multi disc resume etc), though you will need to buy your own HDMI lead (don't go overboard on that a mid range one will be fine).

Von Ryan said:
I recently purchased a Toshiba 32WLT66, at the moment it's fed from my old Samsung HT-DM500 (via RGB Scart). The PQ isn't bad at all, but would there be a great improvement if I connected a new HDMI player to it. If so which sub £100 player would be best? The old HT-DM500 has an optical input, so I could use it as an amp.

:lease:

I've got the same TV and I've just bought a Toshiba SD360. At 576p the picture looked very dull and drab, with a fairly poor level of halo effects. As soon as you set it to 720p, things improve dramatically. I've only had it for a day but this is one of the best DVD images I've ever seen (comparing it to my previous Denon 1720, the Toshiba wins so far). I can also control my DVDs with the LCD remote :D

It is an ugly machine though and tbh I would have preferred something that looked nicer. My Denon 1720 has a much nicer design

RL123,

Thanks for that post. I too have just purchased the 32WLT66 and Tosh 360E, but wont be setting them up til next week, so its nice to hear some feedback from peeps with a similar set-up.

You connected via HDMI yeah..?

Yes, and it's just a cheap, basic, HDMI cable for now (one that came with SkyHD). I'm going to get a better cable this week but I needed a cable to test it today. Even with that basic cable, the image quality is fantastic. Bit of advice though, you can't connect HDMI straight away. You'll need to connect a scart cable/composite cable then go into the DVD player's menu and select HDMI output

The Toshiba 360 is very nice so far. I think I've noticed a few pauses and stutters at the layer change on some discs though. This is one of my worst hates about DVD players, so I hope it isn't too bad for regular viewing. I bought it from John Lewis (£60) and they said I can return it if I'm unhappy. I think this is the only fault I can see, so I hope I don't have to return it because of this

Just for info purposes the DLT on the Sony 76 is very quick (almost don't notice it) with no "follow up judders".

My old Sony used to take aaaaaages for the DLT (ok, ages compared to this cheaper model anyway!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom