Best Style Speakers for movie and music - Which ones?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stok13, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first 5.1 system (amp+speakers) and am needing advice on the style speaker package to go for, yes afraid it has to be a style package (by order of the wife).

I have a demo booked this weekend for the Focal Dome 5.1s and was just wondering whether at £1500 they are my best bet for a good musical/movie style based set of speakers,

or whether something like the Q Acoustics 2020i / 7000 systems would be a better option while giving me the same performance but at a more realistic price point,

or even whether I have to go more expensive like the Dali Fazon 3 or Monitor Audio Apex series to realise good musical/movie out of a small speaker system.

FYI, I have approx £2300 to spend and this includes the amp.

Any advice / opinion is most appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Greg

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The Q Accoustics are hardly a lifestyle speaker package? If you can get the 2020i then why could you not get a speaker like Monitor Audio BX?
    I would also look at the Monitor audio radius range. The floorstander in the range would give a good balance of style and performance.

3. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oops :facepalm: just had another look at them and they're not really style speakers are they :laugh: I guess that goes for the Fazon and Monitor Audio ones as well.

One question about the Monitor Audio ones would I be OK putting the floor standers in the corner of the room, either side of the TV next to a wall?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The Radius floorstanders are not particularly big so may be OK in the corner of a room but it is always hard to tell. Some speakers are easier to place than others. For example my PMC GB1s are very easy to place in a room and are fine close to a corner but something like a Monitor Audio RX1 is supposed to be very fussy and does not like being near walls.

5. Faffer

Faffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well......
    how about some Monitor Audio Apex ?

not sure where you are but dealers can do some discount from the RRP.

They are very nice and the more I use my ones the more I love them ...

but I would skip there sub been told you can do better and I got the BK Monolith, and saved

Richard

6. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PSM1 and richard00777 for the info. I'm off to demo the Radius hd range tomorrow along with a onkyo 809. I've chosen the 809 as I've listened to that with the Focal Dome 5.1 and it sounded very good, with music and movies, much better than the 609, even the wife was impressed :thumbsup:. May also ask to see the Apex range but it may be out of my league unless I can get a really good deal.

richard00777, which amp have you partnered your Apex speakers with?

Greg

7. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well just demoed the Onkyo 809 with the Radius 90HD package and wasn't disappointed. Dialogue was clear, effects were plentiful, room was filled with the soundtrack and distortion (if any) was kept to a minimum when I cranked up the volume.

On the musical side only had time to listen to a couple of tracks but it didn't disappoint. Again vocals were clear and each instrument could be heard yet still sounding as one performance, even when using the Onkyo multi-channel mode.

The only item I'm not too sure about is I don't think I could listen to rock music over a longish period with the volume cranked up, it may sound a little "bright" (I think that's the correct term).

Compared to the Domes the Radius package had a little bit more attack but the Domes engaged you more and gelled more as one with the movie and we're a little warmer on the musical side. But I will know more when my wife auditions them, hopefully at the weekend.

To conclude both sets are great speakers just depends how you like your music/soundtrack - full on or a little softer.

8. beanoir

beanoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

I'd get your trousers back first ;)

I'd look into mix and matching a set-up of various speakers from the Monitor Audio Radius range if it were me, they are good and depeding on which ones you go for can be quite descrete.

You'll miss out by not having some decent full range front speakers though in my opinion and that includes movies and music - will the ball and chain not agree to something bigger just for the fronts or is that not at all what you want?

9. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No chance I lost them years ago lol.

She would have but we just don't have the room to put them either side of the TV due to it being in the corner of the room so a style package we've had to compromise on.

10. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,093
    MA Apex with a decent sub can out perform many floor-standers particularly with multichannel audio. They are a proper sub sat system as opposed to just being a style package.

11. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    If you are after lifestyle and sound then I would recommend the B&W FPM series. I have FPM4 for front, FPM6 for centre, M1 for rears and a 610 sub. Canterbury HIFI usually have good deals on these. At the moment they have -

Ex demo FPM5 at £599 pair or £349 for 1
    (M1 now discontinued)

On that basis I'd go for

FPM5s for front/centre - £949
    B&W M1 for rear £280 pair (AudioT)
    BK XLS200DF sub £315
    Speaker total - £1544

leaving around £750 for an amp (or £650 + £100 cables)
    I use Denon 3808 with my FPM so current model is 3312 - which can be had for £650.

if you do a search for my name and FPM there are some pics of my system on here somewhere.

Alternatives if you are up for a gamble look at direct sellers Orb Audio or more available in UK Anthony Gallo both similar to the domes.

These are only my opinions based on my system and a shop demo in a representative room should be made as a minimum (home demo if possible), remeber to trust your ears they are the best judge as to what you like!

12. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ugg10 for mentioning the FPMs, I hadn't considered them before.

But unfortunately I've had to reign in my budget and have now had a complete change of direction. I'm going for the Dali Zensor 5.1 pack along with an Onkyo 609 amp, too good a deal to miss out on I'm afraid - £1485 including cable.

Happy days. Can't wait to install it at the weekend.

Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions and advice.

Cheers,
    Greg

13. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,093
    It will sound wicked. Have fun!!

14. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
  15. Stok13

Stok13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Similar but upgraded the front speakers for the Zensor 5s and got it price matched at Richer Sounds as they were very good with demos and taking their time to answer all my questions.

I still saved close to £500 over RRP and £200 on their best price, although the cable pack they are providing doesn't appear to be quite as good as the one as in the link i.e. I'm having Cambridge Audio Ultra Micro cable instead of QED and there's no optical links, but hey I'm still a happy bunny.