Best streaming option?

RobDickinson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an old Denon 3803 connected to some Monitor Audio Silver 6i's that I want to stream music too (after a shift around of some kit etc).

This will be to stream local content from my Nas (synology dnla & Plex) , from Tidal and/or Spotify, and from android phones (Audiable etc).

I'm all over the place with what to buy to do this - or even try an old out of use android phone and Plex/Kodi+Kore/BubbleUPnP?

Top of my list of devices is a Bluesound Node ($999 in NZ), why? decent DAC access to tidal (hifi/mqa) + tidal/spotify connect etc, decent IO, dual BT.

Theres a couple of Teufel devices that look interesting, arylic S50 pro+ I wrote off for quality/app reasons.

Other end of the scale is pick up a chromecast audio and go with that over toslink to the amp?

Would you be in the slightest bit interested in a Raspberry Pi?
If yes, probably one of the cheapest options available.
If no, I quite understand - it isn't for everyone and there is a fair bit of up-front set up/faffing around.
Fairly sure no MQA though. That may be a deal breaker.
Have had a look at photos of the 3803. Seems to have Co-ax and optical in but no USB in. If correct then a Pi would need a SPDIF/Toslink ‘HAT’ ro be able to pass the signal to the Denon’s internal DAC. Otherwise, it’s an external DAC or a DAC HAT.
I started with my Samsung phone but got hacked off with the phone being in the hifi cabinet.
Sorry that I can’t compare this to a Chromecast audio or Node as I’ve never used them.

The bluesound node is a great bit of kit, very good feature set, and easy to set up.
I bought the latest version earlier on this year and it was pretty much plug and play, the BluOS app is probably one of the best interfaces for a streamer at this price.

Would you be in the slightest bit interested in a Raspberry Pi?
If yes, probably one of the cheapest options available.
If no, I quite understand - it isn't for everyone and there is a fair bit of up-front set up/faffing around.
Fairly sure no MQA though. That may be a deal breaker.
Have had a look at photos of the 3803. Seems to have Co-ax and optical in but no USB in. If correct then a Pi would need a SPDIF/Toslink ‘HAT’ ro be able to pass the signal to the Denon’s internal DAC. Otherwise, it’s an external DAC or a DAC HAT.
I started with my Samsung phone but got hacked off with the phone being in the hifi cabinet.
Sorry that I can’t compare this to a Chromecast audio or Node as I’ve never used them.
I've had a look at the Pi stuff (some hats, hifibery, peacanpi etc), all a bit homebrew or clunky for the use case, if it was just me

The bluesound node is a great bit of kit, very good feature set, and easy to set up.
I bought the latest version earlier on this year and it was pretty much plug and play, the BluOS app is probably one of the best interfaces for a streamer at this price.

Yeah half the want is based on the app etc but the sound is good too?

Are you a local to chc?

I’d second the Yamaha. DNLP it all up and you’re off for a very good price indeed.

Not Amazon music if it's anything like the wxc-50. A pretty big omission in 2022.
I guess do if you use Amazon music. You can do Bluetooth but that's obviously not exactly what most here are looking for, Bluetooth I mean.

I recently bought an ifi zen blue. It's a Bluetooth thingy that retails at about 150 euro, or equivalent in pounds.
I cannot stream music through anything that sounds better than this little Bluetooth device. I think that if someone bought one of these and a dedicated tablet to stream aptx or a hi quality stream, their money/value/ sound quality is as solid as all bit the most fussy would require

I have an old Denon 3803 connected to some Monitor Audio Silver 6i's that I want to stream music too (after a shift around of some kit etc).

This will be to stream local content from my Nas (synology dnla & Plex) , from Tidal and/or Spotify, and from android phones (Audiable etc).

I'm all over the place with what to buy to do this - or even try an old out of use android phone and Plex/Kodi+Kore/BubbleUPnP?

Top of my list of devices is a Bluesound Node ($999 in NZ), why? decent DAC access to tidal (hifi/mqa) + tidal/spotify connect etc, decent IO, dual BT.

Theres a couple of Teufel devices that look interesting, arylic S50 pro+ I wrote off for quality/app reasons.

Other end of the scale is pick up a chromecast audio and go with that over toslink to the amp?
Just this weekend I bought a used Node 2i for a great price ($350 including shipping). Looking forward to using it. Is the used market an option for you?

Just this weekend I bought a used Node 2i for a great price ($350 including shipping). Looking forward to using it. Is the used market an option for you?
Nah very unlikely its a small product on a small island.

Not too bothered buying new, leaning towards a powernode for convenience, nad amplification under the hood.

Can't see or listen until at least 10th tho

Last edited:
I guess do if you use Amazon music. You can do Bluetooth but that's obviously not exactly what most here are looking for, Bluetooth I mean.

I recently bought an ifi zen blue. It's a Bluetooth thingy that retails at about 150 euro, or equivalent in pounds.
I cannot stream music through anything that sounds better than this little Bluetooth device. I think that if someone bought one of these and a dedicated tablet to stream aptx or a hi quality stream, their money/value/ sound quality is as solid as all bit the most fussy would require
I've got one of these and couldn't agree more. It's the best £130 I've ever spent in audio! Have you got the iPower wall power supply? Totally worth it in my opinion as I noticed a definite step up in sound quality.

I only have the power supply that came with it, I didn't buy the separate unit

I've had a look at the Pi stuff (some hats, hifibery, peacanpi etc), all a bit homebrew or clunky for the use case, if it was just me

Yeah half the want is based on the app etc but the sound is good too?

Are you a local to chc?
I've no complaints about sound quality especially now bluesound have finally enabled the USB output.

Thanks!

So new owner of a powernode and it's blown me away, easy as and sounds great plenty of punch and detail etc
Awesome! Just got my Node2i in the mail and will hook it up tomorrow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom