Best streamer or amplifier to play Deezer HI-FI

Lucalex

Novice Member
Hi,

What would be the best amplifier or streamer (with a 2 pairs of speakers input) to play Deezer Hi-Fi with no loss of quality?
Was leaning toward Marantz Melody X or Denon DRA800H but apparently their system HEOS does not support deezer Hi-fi.
I don't mind streaming from the deezer app itself.
Some suggestions (budget £300 to £600?
Best

Cebolla

The Squeezebox type streamers support Deezer HiFi quality (lossless CD-res FLAC) tracks via the Logitech Media Server with the Deezer LMS plugin enabled. If you are ok with a bit of minor DIY, you can build your own decent Raspberry Pi (with Squeezelite & LMS, eg, as provided by piCorePlayer) based one for ~£60+, if the amp you choose has a USB audio input (USB B socket). An appropriate RPi add-on board (~£25+) will be required for the amp's other digital or analogue audio inputs.

BTW, looks like the old Deezer HiFi plan is now incorporated into the Deezer Premium one, at least for UK customers:
1637763365775.png

Last edited:

Lucalex

Novice Member
The Squeezebox type streamers support Deezer HiFi quality (lossless CD-res FLAC) tracks via the Logitech Media Server with the Deezer LMS plugin enabled. If you are ok with a bit of minor DIY, you can build your own decent Raspberry Pi (with Squeezelite & LMS, eg, as provided by piCorePlayer) based one for ~£60+, if the amp you choose has a USB audio input (USB B socket). An appropriate RPi add-on board (~£25+) will be required for the amp's other digital or analogue audio inputs.

BTW, looks like the old Deezer HiFi plan is now incorporated into the Deezer Premium one, at least for UK customers:
View attachment 1608260
Thanks for your reply, Apparently the sonos amplifier does work with Deezer HI-fi. I will have a look into your suggestion, not too sure how to do this but will lokk on youtube. I guess I sould probably make sure I get a good amplifier. Thanks

ChorltonWheelie

I built a raspberry pi streamer for Deezer hi-res files this weekend. USB out to the DAC on my Cryrus amp. USB drives and network drives with my DSD's and flacks can be easily added later and it can all be controlled from my phone. Shout up if you want a detailed how to and I'll create a thread.

Cebolla

Nice implementation of LMS & Squeezelite provided by piCorePlayer on the Raspperry Pi for Deezer HiFi that I mentioned in my last post. However, rather than the Jivelite Squeezebox controller being displayed by your RPi's touch screen, my favoured Squeezebox controller user interface is that provided by the Material Skin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugins via any web browser or the LMS Material app (Android only - ideal for Android tablets):

1643135289297.png

1643135364948.png

1643135395110.png

BTW, Deezer HiFi provides CD-res (16bit/44.1kHz) file tracks, rather than (greater than CD-res) hi-res ones.

Brava 210

By the way, your Wallpaper needs sticking down....:)

Brava 210

Bolosun

Just found this thread and I am wanting to stream Deezer hifi to my system. I have a RPi connected to my network which gives me access to my FLAC library on my NAS box. I can then stream to my Leema amp using mcontrol, but I want to be able to stream to my Audiolab 6000A and my Leema amp Deezer hifi. I am assuming I need build another Pi streamer and connect that to my Audiolab?

Cebolla

There might be no need for another RPi, depending on how well your amp/streamers support standard UPnP/DLNA streaming as UPnP renderers (if at all - I know the Audiolab might, since DTS Play-Fi firmware version 5.2; no idea about the Leema with its mcontrol app - a rebadged version of ConversDigital's mconnect control app for their mconnect series of streamer boards, perhaps?).

Just to clarify things - are you running the Logitech Media Server (presumably with its non-Squeezebox supporting secondary function as a UPnP/DLNA media server enabled via the UPnP/DLNA media interface LMS plugin, so that you can get the Leema's mcontrol app to use it) on the RPi with piCorePlayer, given what's been discussed so far in this thread and your recent post in another thread?

Last edited:

Bolosun

There might be no need for another RPi, depending on how well your amp/streamers support standard UPnP/DLNA streaming as UPnP renderers (if at all - I know the Audiolab might, since DTS Play-Fi firmware version 5.2; no idea about the Leema with its mcontrol app - a rebadged version of ConversDigital's mconnect control app for their mconnect series of streamer boards, perhaps?).

Just to clarify things - are you running the Logitech Media Server (presumably with its non-Squeezebox supporting secondary function as a UPnP/DLNA media server enabled via the UPnP/DLNA media interface LMS plugin, so that you can get the Leema's mcontrol app to use it) on the RPi with piCorePlayer, given what's been discussed so far in this thread and your recent post in another thread?
The key here is DEEZER HIFI ;)

Cebolla

.. and the rusty lock for that particular key is not saying EXACTLY what your current setup is on the RPi. :)

Last edited:

Bolosun

The RPi I have at the moment is running as a Squeezebox server because Synology dropped the app due to Perl incompatibility.
I need to run Squeezebox as I have my original player in my garage. For playing on my Leema, I can use DS Player or Mcontrol to stream my music. MControl has a Deezer plugin, but does not support HiFi.
If I want to stream to my Audiolab, it only has Bluetooth. So I have ordered another RPi to act as a streamer/player. Not sure if I am going to use PiCore, Volumio or an other.

Cebolla

Ok, as you had originally said that you'd like to stream to the Audiolab, I'd mistakenly assumed it was the streamer version of the 6000A amp (which importantly, as a potential benefit to this cause, has a built-in UPnP renderer as a backup to its main, infamous & inflexible DTS Play-Fi renderer). Unfortunately, since (from what you are now saying) it's actually the standard non-network streaming (the term 'stream' being applied to Bluetooth audio having caught me out) version of the 6000A, this reduces the possibility of getting away with needing to use another RPi.

This now leaves it solely to the Leema having a possible UPnP renderer, but given that it's looking more & more like the Mcontrol app is a rebadged mconnect Control app (Deezer support is actually a very big clue) and therefore the Leema containing ConversDigital's proprietary mconnect hardware as its streamer, that's unlikely. As far as I'm aware, the latest mconnect based streamers don't double up as standard UPnP/DLNA streamers (unlike DTS Play-Fi based ones), so can't be controlled by any standard UPnP/DLNA controller app and therefore the need to always use a version of its dedicated mconnect Control app to get them to stream from UPnP/DLNA media servers, TIDAL, etc.

Rather ironically, ConversDigital have also produced the mconnect Player app (Lite version is free), which is a standard UPnP/DLNA controller (as well as Chromecast device controller) and a quick test to see if the Leema does have a UPnP renderer (if you are willing) would be to see if the mconnect Player Lite app can find the Leema.

All of this is now moot of course, as you are actually getting another RPi anyway. The point about the UPnP renderer is that LMS has the third party UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin, which allows any standard UPnP/DLNA streamer (assuming its UPnP renderer behaves itself properly) to be used as if were a Squeezebox and so obtain full LMS audio providing support, so including Deezer HiFi. Control would of course be via any Squeezebox controller app, including the built-in LMS one via a web browser. Incidentally, if you haven't already noticed, LMS only provides your own files for streaming when you use it for its secondary function as a UPnP/DLNA media server (via the UPnP/DLNA media interface) plugin and the reason why you are not able to get the Leema to directly benefit from LMS's Deezer plugin.

If you've managed to read thus far, I'd say going for another piCorePlayer (Squeezelite enabled only, ie, no LMS) RPi is a no brainer, given that you are already using one to run LMS and you even have an original Squeezebox in the garage (so presumably are quite used to Squeezebox controller apps, never mind the potential benefit of synchronised audio with multiple Squeezebox type players).

BTW, why are you using the current RPi piCorePlayer just for LMS as a 'mere' UPnP/DLNA media server with the Leema, if you don't mind me asking, ie, did you consider enabling its Squeezelite player to output its audio to the Leema (eg, via its USB audio input) and ditch the UPnP/DLNA media server / Mcontrol app method?

Last edited:

Bolosun

Well I have got my other Rpi in and working using PiCorePlayer, and in turn it also working with Deezer, but it is not streaming Deezer HiFi even though my account id HiFi. I have only connected the Rpi to the 6000A until I can get the HiFi working.
For the Leema I use either DS from my Synology NAS or Mcontrol, again to stream from my NAS. DS has a random playback and the Mcontrol has gapless which I also use.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom