Best strategy for future proofing

Endeavour

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been mulling over the components for a system upgrade for about 9 months now but have been struggling to convince myself its the right time. For most of that time I was planning a system round 720p + all current sound formats but came to the conclusion that, if I wanted another "5 year" system, 1080p needed to be included.

Sat at the core of that system is the amp. 1080p switching is just starting arrive but the HD sound formats are still not catered for natively in anything I have seen. I have three potential strategies:

1) Buy something mid-range with all current gizmos like a Denon 4306 and accept the fact that if I want to keep pace with new technology I will have to trade it for a "4308" in a few years

2) Spend more on an amp with more upgrade potential like an A1XV which has a better amplification section and has at least a chance of hardware upgrades from Denon

3) Separate the processor from the amplification to give more flexibility in upgrading the processor without paying again for the amp section (Arcam AV9/P7)

Which way would you go?

I am a little concerned that if I go the big amp route I am going to have to spend more on speakers than I intended too to get the benefit and handle the power. I presume my current KHT2005 Eggs (and others in their class) would be overwhelmed?

Endeavour said:
Which way would you go?

The route where the next 12 months of changes are directed entirely at my stereo.

Endeavour said:
Which way would you go?

That all depends on how far into the future you want to 'proof' yourself :) PC/Gamers have the same dilemna what and when to upgrade. I think your approach has to be balanced in the sense of having kit that is all on the same playing field if you know what I'm trying to say. In terms of video and upscaling you can always consider a separate scaler and not be too concerned about an AV amp with this feature as they are not always the greatest. Its no good having upscaling in a rec/amp if it doesn't do the job well enough. That's not to say there are those that do do it well. A good source is always a good starting point. Crap in crap out as they say. Equipment that is firmware upgradable would be advisable as this may make it easier to keep up with the times. Power amps :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , A strong performing power amp is already futreproof;) . Your Eggs would then uh... need to go to the spare room:( Speakers, although there are developments all the time, are not as prone to becoming obselete, so a good investment there should see you through many years.(or so we hope:devil: ) It seems to me the hardware most affected by progress these days are the displays, sources and processors/receivers. These are the items that are going to make you tear your hair out so choose wisely, try not to overstep your budget:rolleyes: here and be prepared to spend again in a few years. Other than that, enjoy your dilemma it at least gives others comfort knowing we're not alone :rotfl: :rotfl:

The Onkyo TX-NR5000 with its slot in card architecture is probably the best way of future proofing. Check out their website for details.

MUGGY said:
The Onkyo TX-NR5000 with its slot in card architecture is probably the best way of future proofing. Check out their website for details.

As would the Rotel RSP 1098, the Denon A1XV, Meridian, etc etc etc

I saw the Onkyo last year at the Manchester show. I like the principle of this amp. At least Onkyo is setting its stall out to say "we will be providing upgrade" whereas with Denon you never know for sure. Denon UK being particularly slow on the uptake. However, the sales rep was a bit vague on the Onkyo stand when I asked what cards would be coming when. I would also have liked to have seen a better density of HDMI ports on the digi I/O card to avoid using up lots of slots.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom