1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best straight to DVD movie?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Harj, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Morning all

I feel like watching some cheesey movies, like when i was younger i would go to the local film hire place, find all the latest releases were out and so would end up with all the straight to VHS films, all of them seem to have titles like Dealthstalker or Iron Ninga (part 6) etc etc, there were some gems, but most were c**p.

Seeing that there are loads of these type of movies at a few quid, are there any gems out there? I like sc-fi, horror sort of struff the most.

Cheers

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One film that mot people would probably totally overlook (due to it's franchise name and the previous film in the series) is 'Hellraiser V: Inferno'.

It's actually a really well made film, nice touches of horror, fairly involving and intelligent, pyschological plotline and with some nice touches of not-too-silly humour.

The DVD sound and picture quality is great and Craig Sheffer is excellent as the main character.

It's more like Jacob's Ladder meets Groundhog Day than what you might expect from a regular Hellraiser film.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    In the UK, Thirteenth Floor went straight to DVD. I thought that was a good film, quite worth of the theatrical release it never had.

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hellraiser 5?! Gave up after 3! Have heard of 13th floor, will give it a go. Friend at work just told me about this movie, sounds good.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0261983

Anyone seen APEX?

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Thirteenth Floor was really good as well :)

Session 9 does sound good :eek: Might have to buy that :D

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good work, that means you can move straight on to Inferno and miss Bloodline ;)

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    session 9 is VERY good saw it on Saturday night. David Carusso and Brendan Mullan (My Name is Joe) quite slow build up but also quite scary in places and some nice twists, think it was shot on digital video, but it looks quite film-like. Really excellent performance from Mullan.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    I've seen APEX. It really is awful. It plays fairly regularly on Sci Fi channel late at night.
    I didn't rate Session 9 though. Is not slow....it's stationary. I didn't find it atmospheric at all, although I'll admit I'm in a minority on that score.

3000 Miles to Graceland, The Salton Sea, and The Boondock Saints were all good though. I thought the Emilio Estevez/Charlie Sheen movie Rated X was great aswell. Kind of a poor mans Boogie Nights, but thoroughly entertaining and a decent stab at directing from Emilio.

The big problem with straight-to-vid stuff is that one mans treasure is another mans crap.

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Agree with u on the treasure and crap Rambo, but there are some gems, and some recomendations on this post that will need to be followed up by me. Suprised no ones mentioned Cybertracker part 10 yet!

APEX was suuposed to be an underground cult classis, but as u plainly described, does not seem to be.

Just off the subject a bit, anyone seen those Nero Wolf movies on Sky, i think they are great!

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I admit it's slow but there's a great pay off at the end IMO, watched Cherry Falls after and that had me laughing my head off, great Scream type movie but even funnier.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about Cherry Falls - it's good fun :D Also tremendous value right now at around £3 for the R4 (without postage)

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/3498

The only disappointment was that I was expecting a bit of nudity and eroticism given the way this movie is generally discussed, particularly from Ms Murphy. Ah well :)

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second (third?) that... brilliantly entertaining. Also features the new 'bright young thing' Brittany Murphy.

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    It's amazing how someone can plug away for years playing (seemingly) the same character in no end of B movies like Drive, Confessions of a Trickbaby, Prophecy 2.... yet Hollywood and the media still want to call her a hot new star. I'd be interested to see if she can vary her performance in any way at all in her next film, although somehow I doubt it.

I forgot From Dusk Til Dawn 2 which I regularly enjoy and think it's a lot more fun than the first film. The third was dire though.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Okay, so I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'd highly recommend "The Rats", starring Vincent Spano and Madchen Amick. It is a superb horror flick, despite its meagre "12" certificate, here in the UK.

You can rent it out now, on VHS, or buy the Region 1 DVD, which is in 16:9 widescreen, with a 1.78:1 ratio, and a DD5.1 soundtrack.

Pooch

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anything would be better than the third Dusk till Dawn it was 'orrible!

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking about renting this this week, will definitely give it a go now. I hear there's a great scene where Amick falls in amongst a load of rats?

17. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    my straight to shelf flicks to watch soon so far:-

'Hellraiser V: Inferno'. Juboy swears by it
    APEX (just to seee how bad it is)
    Session 9 - Very curious about this, could be one of great forum debaters me thinks Squirral if u get this let us know your opinion pls.

The Rats

Anyone remember a film called 'The Keep' Nazi horror, wouldn't mind watching that again.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed DDDHouse.com this morning as they have the R3 for HK$30.

I asked them if the R3 was widescreen anamorphic and had any extras and they replied that it's widescreen (which on the site usually means it's anamorphic, though who knows this time :rolleyes:) with no extras.

HK$30 is £2.39 according to Yahoo, so with postage it comes to less than £6.

Might invest or might hold out for R1 to drop in price before I take a chance since the R1 has deleted scenes and an alternative ending that I'd quite like if I like the movie.

Thing that bugs me is David Caruso is in it ... I've always thought he's a bit of a ginger **** :rolleyes: :D

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a little cracker... Micheal Mann's finest hour :)
    Stellar cast as well. Also features the timeless, classic line "Request immediate relocation... something is murdering my men"

Don't take Inferno too seriously and you'll love it.

20. jmcr100

jmcr100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    With regards to "Session 9" I'd go for the region 3 version because it got the DD 5.1 soundtrack and the region 1 has only a stereo track.

To be honest, I have the region 1 version and the deleted scenes are nothing to write home about and the alternative ending I could've lived without but then again, the interviews and the "making of" are nearly as disturbing as the film!!!

The interview with Brendan Mullan is definitely worth the price of the disk and there is a documentary over the history of the place.

It was filmed in the real deserted sanatorium!!!!

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it was straight to DVD or straight to TV but The Last Seduction wasn't eligible for Oscars because of it

That was a great film

22. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    And Linda Fiorantina, what a vamp! Another friend at work told me he watched session 9 last night, strange huh, how this film is coming out of the woodwork, said he was quite disturbed by it.

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was it the same building they used in Shawshank Redemption? some of the aerial shots looked very familiar.

24. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember if it ever got a cinema release, but the Mark Dacascos film 'Drive' is pretty damn good - some of the fight scenes are absolutely incredible. Soundtrack is in DD5.1 and makes quite a good system demo.

Oh yeah, and Apex is definitely one of those 'cult' movies, you either love it or hate it.

25. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also see Death Machine - directed by Stephen 'Blade' Norrington. It's absolutely appallingly good.

26. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    LOL.
    It's just appalling. Took me ages to shift my copy when I was dumb enough to buy it

27. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's not to like? It's got the ever-watchable Brad Dourif as the villain.

No wait, I get it: It's the pacifist commandos that bother you right? :D

28. gudge

gudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Away from all this Macho film shenanigans,you just cant beat S-T-V classics of Pauly Shore e.g. Son-in-Law and Bio-Dome and what about those Disney comedies like Meet The Deedles.
    Guilty Pleasures????????

29. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bio-dome me and a mate used to watch that at uni loads, Kylie was in it wasnt she.

We used to watch that and A night at the roxbury (such a great film) SCORE

30. gudge

gudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kylie disowns this,i rememberseeing an interview on T4 where they brought this up and she saidthat she doesn`t like the film and will have to remove it from her cv,i`ve never checked to see if she did
    A night... had me rolling in the aisles(well on the living room floor),the stupider the better for me