1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Speakers to suit AX10i-S in relatively small room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dan_hughes, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dan_hughes

dan_hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new to this forum but have recently purchased a new home theatre setup consisting of:

Pioneer 434HDE
    Pioneer 868Avi-S
    Pioneer AX10i-S

Sky+

An Isotek SubStation

I am using the following interconnects:

Chord Optichord (from sky)
    QED Squart 4110 RGB (from sky)

iLink (from DVD)
    Chord HDMI (from DVD)

Now all is good, fantastic picture and sounds awesome. However I know it can get better. I am currently running Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III (5.1), now I know they are limiting performance, I need some advice on which way to go though.

The main reason for keeping these (at least for now) was the cost of the whole system, didn't want to scrimp on speakers so decided to hold on to these as a fairly good setup until I could splash some more cash. The other reason is the size of the room, approx 3m by 3.5m.

Thus I can't really go for big floor standers, I really like the B&W 804's but they are just too big. I need something that will make the most of the amp, without filling the room and which will sound equally good in the smaller listening area. Ideally I would go for 7.1 and possibly a THX setup. It's movies I am in to, music is a secondary concern.

I would really appreciate your input, thanks for reading!

:)

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    If music is secondary, M&K really are the sensible choice. A goodly number of forum members own their various products so they can be on hand to give more specific advice.

However :)

Before they come in guns blazing I would strongly consider looking at Castle and NHT, both of whom make excellent (albeit not THX) sat systems that really do sing. My Dad has just purchased the Castle Compacts for his Naim rig and they are (grudingly) very nice indeed. I have had a soft spot for NHT gear for a while and reckon that an owner who builds a sat system around their SB1/2 and matching centre will have a gem on their hands.

Oh and welcome by the way :).

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan,
    I would recommend the M&K 850 speaker Package, with the quality of the AX10 they will sound brilliant.
    I have the Z9 running mine and every time i watch a film it brings a huge :D to my face.
    They are Sats but can be mounted on stands i have the LDM stands for mine but you can also get brackets aswell.
    Here is a link to the M&K site

www.mksound.com/5-1_sys.php

I would try and get a Dem if Possible but i'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

John

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    checkout the new mission M-Cube.

5. ScottG

ScottG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered Anthony Gallo? I'm running 7 x Dues and they sound fantastic!

6. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

May I suggest something like Dynaudio Audience 42's x 6 some of which could be wall mounts, plus a 122 centre channel. The 6 x 42's would be 1400 to 1500. the centre about 450 then a Sub Woofer of your choice.

The quality would be outstanding.

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    don't know what budget you have but the M&K MP-150 would be super! (S150 performance with a small footprint)

other than that the M&K 850/851 should be a great choice too!

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    For a movies only set up you can't really beat the M&K's.

Mind you, the active Blue Skys might be worth a listen too. I believe Smurfin is selling his in the classifieds right now.

Might be worth sending him a PM.

9. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm sure they are excellent speakers - but I'm sure dan_hughes will not be too happy to use his AX10 as a pre-amp :eek:

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    True :D

11. dan_hughes

dan_hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for all your responses guys. Been having a look at all your various suggestions.

Firstly I think I am being drawn towards a THX setup, so it seems most recommended the M&K, will have to find somewhere to arrange a demo, my hifi store were fantastic and did a great deal on all my kit, however they don't stock M&K, may give them a call anyway though as they may be able to source!

Tons of fun, thanks for the welcome. Have not really had any experience of Castle or NHT but may check them out anyhow, be good to hear a few setups before parting with anymore funds.

Recruit, how is the Z9, I thought about going that way but decided to stick to Pioneer to make use of iLink & HDMI, plus the store did a great price on the AX10 as the new Ai is just out.

NC11, had a listen to the M-Cubes at the What Hi-Fi show in London a couple of weeks back, they sounded pretty good but in my eyes (ears) they were fairly comparative to the Bose system I have currently.

ScottG, stebbo, thanks for your suggestions, again maye look into these if I get chance.

Sniper, MP150's look interesting, as for budget I'm not really sure. To be honest if I can find the right setup I would rather wait a couple of months till I can afford it as opposed to going out now and getting something I will want to upgrade straight away.

All, have managed to find prices for 850's in a few places, can't seem to find any for MP150's though. Any suggestions where I could look? Also sub wise, what do you guys recommend to go with either setup, would the V850 do the job or am I better off going for the MX150 or MX350 which are THX Ultra certified?

Also am I right in believing the 851's are the same speakers purely with different housing options?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan,

I originaly bought the M&K 851 setup which included the V851 and it is superb sub but i wanted more and settled for a MX350MKII and boy does it kick out some bass you would not be left wanting after hearing it in full flow, also it intergrates so well with the 851's.
    Regarding the 851's they are basically the same as the 850's but in Black or Titanium.
    Also if you do get to have a Dem ask for the M&K column surrounds as they are excellent Tripoles and you simply let them stand behind or to the sides of your sofa but IMO i have not heard a better surround speaker.

John

13. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    To get info on the MP150 (on anything M&K) you'd have to call Gecko (02086030480), I believe they sell for £900 each (you've been warned!!).

As for the sub, lot's of ppl on this forum will tell you to go the SVS route. More bang for the buck, but none are THX certified. Gut feeling is that they would all be if they applied for it, but they wouldn't do that to keep costs down. Unfortunately I haven't heard an SVS so cannot really reccomend - I would risk it though!!

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    heh - nice one!

yeah sorry about that one, i forgot to mention the SVSs are quite hefty !!

You might want to consider the B&W ASW800 or 850 too, or just take recruit's advice and get the M&K sub!

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of the B&W's the 850 is the one to go for there are a few members on this forum who have them and from their views it is an awsome sub but for better intergration i would still go with the M&K subs either the MX150 or MX350.

John

17. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Dan
    If you like the B&W 804's but find them to big for your room why not try B&W 805's for fronts and rears with a HTM2 as your center & a ASW850

18. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dan,

You did'nt mention wether you were wall mounting or simply looking for smaller speakers. Lots of good suggestions from others. Have a look at the B&W FPM series as well and look at various subs to match; REL, MK & B&W etc... The speakers work very well in small rooms and look the nuts, check-out the gloss black.

www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range FPM Series

19. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't get hung up on THX certification of subs as it seems to be mainly a marketing ploy. I have no doubt that the more expensive subs from SVS and B&W as well as a few others would get THX certification if they submitted their subs and paid the royalties. In a recent high end sub shootout conducted over several months by an American AV magazine the outright winner which stood head & shoulders above the others was a Genelec which I don't think was THX certified at all.

21. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

But the winner of Best Real-World Solution was indeed THX cert ;)

22. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    My room is around 11ft (2); and would say get wall mounted discreet speakers that shift ... but I have found you will need to spend the bucks to do that.

BK xls200 sub is the "smallest BEST" sub £290 delivered... bigger than that you're looking at SVS-PB10... from USofA £380?