1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best speakers package for £400?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jonny5, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Jonny5

Jonny5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got hold of my new Denon 2900 dvd player and Denon 2803 amp/receiver (woohoo!!). I have about £400 of my budget left, i may be getting a yamaha YST-SW315 subwoofer next year.

However can anyone recommend the best package of just the front centre and rear speakers for the above sum? I have been told the Mission M33, M3ds and M3C1 would be a good combo!

thanx:laugh:

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that £400 is going to get you a speaker package to do the rest of your setup justice... but here goes...

I'd recommend Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 floorstanding fronts, with a Diamond Centre and 8.1 surrounds. If you can stretch a little further you could buy a second pair of 8.1 surrounds for the centre-rear channels.

3. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey, makes a change, someone interested in the Yamaha 315.
    I have that sub also, find it better for movies than music, mainly because i use some cool fronts for music and rarely listen to it in stereo.
    For this reason I would recommed some good fonts if you listen to music quite alot.
    I myself am a fan of Eltax and my perfect Eltax combo would be -
    Eltax Millenium 500. £145
    Eltax HT-Bipolar. £70
    and not to sure on centre but I have a KEF Cresta, which fits in well and a centre rear of another Eltax HT or a copy of the front...

Just look around at reviews, see what sounds good to YOU...

4. Jonny5

Jonny5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx Dimmy and Dom, (sounds like extras from the Dumb and Dumberer movie! oops), your advice is much appreciated, funnily was looking at those Diamond wharfedales quite recently, they look and sound pretty good.
    As for looking at reviews Dom, i find they always concentrate on expensive speaker packages which is why i need the hallowed advice of the forums!

5. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £400 wont get you a speaker package anywhere near good enough for your Amp and Universal player.Save up a little longer mate and get urself that would last the long run instead of buying some really cheap speakers like eltax and being dissapointed as they'll make your kit sound lame.Not being arrogant but in my case-ive just sold my B&W 602 S3 and will be getting my mission m53 on tuesday-meanwhile ive been using mission m71s for main stereo listening and they make my Marantz 6000Ki and Pm7200 amp sound no better than my 1st cambridge A5i+Nad c520 combo.With the quality Denon kit u have it really is worth investing in some decent speakers:)

Zoolander:D

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would say keep an eye out in classifieds mate £400 should get you B&W602/601 + LCR60 and possibly some rears. if you go down this route look for spekers all from the same series ie S3 or S2 other options are to go for a package from a retialer have a search and see what pops up, are they mainly for music or for movies or gaming or big mix????

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite what's been said, you can certainately get 'descent' speakers for £400.

The Wharfedale Diamonds I mentioned - whilst not being close to good enough to realise the full potential of your Amp - are most certainately descent.

The suggestion of keeping an eye on the classifieds forum is very sensible, although it can be an age before something worthwhile pops up.

I managed to get my own speakers (775e Fronts, 77C1 Centre, 771e Rears) for little more than £400, thanks to scowering the classifieds.

8. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy,are the 775es any good?I was considering some a while back but hyperfi dont have any left so ive gone for the m53 instead:cool: . For £400 i think the best route is this johny(soz 4 being abit rude in my previous post) £100 mission m73i,£100 2x mission m71i pairs,mission m7c2 and maybe a paradigm PS1000 all from richersounds.Should cost a little over £400 but quite a nice little AV system for the money

Zoolander:D

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets just say they're adequate :D.

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy a set of £400 fronts so that you actually get something that will make it worth you having brought decent electronics
    and then build the rest up later

11. Jonny5

Jonny5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx all, but i got the feeling Zoolander was mostly right in this case, ive got a good £400, maybe i should wait a bit and save a bit more. hopefully that wont take too long - a month or so.

My room is only 15.5ft by 11.5 feet tho, i may have to look at slightly smaller speakers like Kef 2005 rather than some huge front floorstanders? The mission packs howver seem to be the best frontrunners at the mo with the current budget.

And Bobbypunk the thought did occur to me re buying just some huge floorstander fronts for the money, but being a typical bloke i cant wait and wannit all in one go.

(The intention is for 75%movies and 25% music/sacd etc).

12. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A month with a DVD player and Amp of the calibre you've bought, without any speakers to play with, would send me completely crazy...

To keep saving seems like the best descision. Although I wouldn't recommend KHT2005.2s for use with an AVR3803 - your amp, in all fairness, is far too good for them.

13. Jonny5

Jonny5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a 2803 denon dimmy, not 3803! i dunno, i can wait a month cos i will be working away for a bit, but this deciding over the best speaker package is driving me nuts too....

i may be able to get kef 2005.2 for £650, would that be the best bet for small compact speakers in my small lounge? (15.5ft x 11.5ft). Cant see any alternatives and i cant stand Bose.

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, an AVR2803 - that's sounding better. It's a much more realistic match to the Kef Eggs, which would probably suit your listening room size extremely well :).