Best speakers for Sonos Amp

huntaaar

Hi there,

I have Sonos in my home. I have recently bought the latest amp to connect a record player via a preamp, and am considering some passive speakers to pair with it.

I’m wondering what the “best” speakers are to do this? Music quality is most important as I have an arc for the tv audio. Bookshelf is probs it more practical too space wise.

I love the look of B&W speakers so was thinking of those, but open to other brands. Budget is pretty open, but what I’m trying to gauge is where I’ll hit diminishing returns due to the weakest link in the setup.

Deck is a project carbon
Preamp is a Rega fomo mom mk3

Any advice welcome

thanks

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The Sonos amp has 125w into 8 ohms class D so should drive pretty much any speaker in a domestic situation. So it is really down to personal choice and wallet.

I think you point of diminishing return is probably around the £1k which is where the amp and/or turntable would need a significant upgrade to warrant the next step up in speakers.

So, on my list to listen to would be the Kef R3 if you can find some ex demo or on a deal, Sonus Faber Lumina 2, B&W 706s2 and MA Gold 100. This should give you a range of sound signatures to see which works goes best with the amp and your ears, ideally if you can get a home audition that would be best.

Have a look in the clearance section of Sevenoaks sound and vision, Audio T, Peter Tyson, Richer or search online they often have ex demo items with 20-30% off.

In general, the Kef will have a big sound stage and are on the warmer side, the Sonus may be good with TV as they are usually great with vocals and real instruments, the MA is a good allrounder and the B&W tend to be detailed but a little bright. But best to trust your ears.

Hope this gives you a start.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you are ok with second hand here are a couple worth looking into -

Helix Hifi

Don’t agree. Sonos is not hifi, at least for me. Still I am happy you have the Sonos amplifier. I would chose the matching Sonos speakers.

They are tuned to sound best together. Still if you like the other speakers then go and listen too them. They might surprise you😊

B&W are bright sounding speakers. From my point of view they are more true to the source. Like as an example how the recoding is mixed and mastered.

Sonus Faber are the warmest of the bunch.

The KEF speakers are perhaps the correct neutral for home listing.

Monitor Audio are great speakers, still my view they lack some finesse. Also the midrange seems too overwhelming. Still as always trust your own ears.

huntaaar

The Sonos amp has 125w into 8 ohms class D so should drive pretty much any speaker in a domestic situation. So it is really down to personal choice and wallet.

I think you point of diminishing return is probably around the £1k which is where the amp and/or turntable would need a significant upgrade to warrant the next step up in speakers.

So, on my list to listen to would be the Kef R3 if you can find some ex demo or on a deal, Sonus Faber Lumina 2, B&W 706s2 and MA Gold 100. This should give you a range of sound signatures to see which works goes best with the amp and your ears, ideally if you can get a home audition that would be best.

Have a look in the clearance section of Sevenoaks sound and vision, Audio T, Peter Tyson, Richer or search online they often have ex demo items with 20-30% off.

In general, the Kef will have a big sound stage and are on the warmer side, the Sonus may be good with TV as they are usually great with vocals and real instruments, the MA is a good allrounder and the B&W tend to be detailed but a little bright. But best to trust your ears.

Hope this gives you a start.
Amazing, thank you for such a detailed and helpful answer. And for the classified links too.

best

Helix Hifi

@huntaaar, it appears Sonos only has wireless speakers. Very strange.

It that something you can consider? From my understanding the Sonos amplifier can support wireless streaming from the amp to the speakers.

If not perhaps try the Linton 80, Linton 85. Dali Oberon 3. Dynaudio Emit 10. Perhaps with wireless subwoofers. Good luck.

acgingersnaps

Don’t agree. Sonos is not hifi, at least for me
I stream to my Hifi system from a Sonos Connect with Tidal (previously Qobuz). I use that as I use Sonos speakers in other rooms. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and, through my Hifi, has not been embarrassed by A/B testing against other kit.
Their speakers may have a sound that you could quibble with (I wouldn't personally. Not as good as my main rig but perfectly good for what they are), but they're still receiving a perfectly sufficient audio feed, if that makes sense.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
These are now modern legends and I doubt you’d do better for your amp and budget.

And in white, new with warranty.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, I’d also not ignore the joyful speakers that are Neat.

Helix Hifi

Ps, I’d also not ignore the joyful speakers that are Neat.

Neat, we have no suppliers here in Norway, at least what I’m aware off.

How would you describe their voicing? It is something I am considering.

Still I’m nervous if the shipping from the uk to Norway we’ll go smoothly. Speakers not damaged.

acgingersnaps

How would you describe their voicing? It is something I am considering
Excellent in my opinion (currently running the Motive SX2 off a Rega Elex R). Sweet treble, gorgeous, full bodied mids and a tight bass. Most importantly, fun and totally non-fatiguing over long sessions. Every so often my mind wonders to upgrades and then I play something and put it back in it's box.

Helix Hifi

Excellent in my opinion (currently running the Motive SX2 off a Rega Elex R). Sweet treble, gorgeous, full bodied mids and a tight bass. Most importantly, fun and totally non-fatiguing over long sessions. Every so often my mind wonders to upgrades and then I play something and put it back in it's box.
I am considering buying blind from eBay. Still I’m very anxious if they arrive in one pice. Uk from Norway is not that far, still...

acgingersnaps

I am considering buying blind from eBay. Still I’m very anxious if they arrive in one pice. Uk from Norway is not that far, still...
Will there not be big customs costs for you too?

acgingersnaps

Out of interest, how big's your room?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom